Back from the Crags

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
What an experience. Eating fresh caught trout at 7 pm watching Bighorns graze on the cliffs above our camp was more than I could ever have hoped for. Just a couple pics now and I'm going to bed. I will dream of the glory tonite.
3250220190815113150.jpg

8378920190815112600.jpg

5009820190812142625.jpg

I enjoy you seemingly casually simple life adventures. Makes for a good life IMO.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Outstanding! I can't wait to see and hear more about it.

I have a little one man raft that weighs about 6 pounds. Go out on the lake in the evening with a bobber and a fly and "troll" around the lake.....

Hey DM?

Fish Pics?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

The Morgan Creek Road is 33 miles long and fairly narrow so watching after corners is smart. Then the Panther Creek Road is narrower and rougher. Finally the last is 6 or 8 miles of Porphry Road and is very steep and narrow. I didn't like having to back up for vehicles and riding the edge or the chance of a sidewall cut.
It takes 3 hours minimum to drive the 51 miles of unpaved road.
The first note was at the Crags Campground and includes decent camps, running water and restrooms.
That night was hail, rains and winds.
We left on horseback and rode in via Bighorn Outfitters . The horses were great and well trained.
We arrived at Birdbill Lake at 3 PM and barely set tent up when more rain, wind and hail hit.
You could hear the wind screaming down the cliffs and then they would hit the tent making sleep restless.
The next day it got better. We went to Big Clear Lake where I only caught 1 golden and the Mrs was skunked.
That night was calm and we slept well after 6 miles of hiking.
The next day we went on an 8 mile rt to Ship Island Lake- the jewel of the Crags. It is an amazing lake. Only Island Lake in the Wind River Range is prettier. The trails was fairly easy to hike. We found a spot on a drop off and Bows, Cuttbows, and hybrid Golden Cutts were eager with 10 to 14 inch average
We brought 8 back to camp and started cooking on the Crux Lite stove with Crisco in a pan. A hungry couple from Bend Oregon showed up so we shared with them.
As we were eating and making friends we heard rocks moving in the cliffs. Out came the Tasco backpack binos and we watched 6 Bighorns grazing on the small meadows spread around the cliffs in our Basin. That was a great time we will never forget.
The next day we went back over the top but to Airplane Lake. The fishing was just as good as Ship Island but 1 mile less of hiking.
All in all we went to Gentian, Birdbill, Mirror, Big Clear, Ship Island, Airplane and Crater Lakes. Panther Martin's work well there .
On the pack out two Salmon Idaho young guys joined us . They had been scouting for the Bighorn Hunt. Due to full Moon on clear nights and storms on other days the really big sheep weren't seen by them.
We stopped at Challis at the Village inn on the way home for dinner. I had a Mt Borah Burger and Mrs had a Rib Eye Steak.
I may not return because of all the sketchy road but I will always be grateful for the trip. Then again, maybe I will go back and ride in the last 20 miles with my ATV and then backpack in.

No better time can be had than being in places like that. Food for the soul.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom