B Zone heads up

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I stopped by Fish & Game today after work to buy my license and tags. It went smoooooth.

Anyway, the gal in the office told me the cap for B tags will be 35,000 this year. In the past it has been 55,000. She said last year they sold 37,000. So it sounds like there could be a couple thousand hunters out of luck this year?

They're first come first served, so if you haven't already......be advised.

But then, I may be the only one who didn't know. Sorry if this is old news.:)

Eel

Available tags reflect what she told you, so thank you for posting this there will be some upset hunters who don't get a tag because they aren't MM addicts lol. Makes you wonder why they dropped the quota so much. oh ya and there heads will be down:)

California actually reduced tags.........whats the catch? I know it couldnt be from a wildlife management point of view

It's still THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND Tags. So yeah, i passed on this great to know info to a couple "B" zone guys i know but that's still a heck of a lot of tags!!

Thanks Eel!!! :)

Joey

Thanks for the heads-up,..checked today it said they still have 24,504..but no reason to wait to the last minute.
Mike

I can't figure out why the cut in tags either. Maybe it's leading to everything done in the draw.

They say that B zone success rate is about 18%. What they don't list is the success rate on private vs success rate on public. The very high success rate on private pumps up the actual overall success rate IMO. So 18% is missleading.

Deer numbers are WAY down on public land from what I've seen.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not terribly upset with the tag cut.

Eel

Joey, 35,000 tags is a lot of tags. How many tags in your unit? Plick!:)

Eel said, "Joey, 35,000 tags is a lot of tags. How many tags in your unit? Plick!"

Eel, the area i'm hunting this year gave out 230 tags last year and it will probably be a similar number this season. That's only 34,770 fewer tags, read hunters crawling the hills, than the "B" zones allocate. Of those 230 tags, the hunters reported a 53% harvest. Also, my draw area, X3-a, boasted a 48.3 percentage of bucks, 4 points or better harvested. Not too bad for Kali! :)

What i meant by claiming that 35K is a lot of tags is that anyone wanting to hunt the "B's", should, especially with your current info, still have no problem getting a tag.

People from other states can disrespect our deer hunting situations all they want, we certainly can't compete with many of states when it comes to quantity of Muley hunting available, but, if a person doesn't hold out for the holy grail hunts and is willing to travel a bit, by working with the current draw system, they can and would draw a decent quality hunt every few years, every 5-6 years for a better hunt, and/or hunt every year in our more general units if that's what they want to do.

I prefer to put in for the harder to draw units, accumulate points, and still hunt every year. As i said, some look down their nose at Kali but even with all the bad that there is involved, it's still a place where we get to chase our dreams and every few years or so, get a decent chance to hang a trophy.

After this season where i will then have -0- points, i plan to only go 2 or three years before i'll draw another, different "X" zone that IMO, has pretty darn good muley hunting in a under rated unit. I guess i'm saying, the system here in kali is not bad at all, IMO, and who cares what those in other states think of our hunting situations, it ain't that bad!

Any info or leads of local knowledge on x3-a will be greatly appreciated! pm's welcome, Thanks!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom