AZ. MOUNTAIN LION AT ISE SHOW

264mag

Long Time Member
I thought that you were not allowed to bring in Mountain Lions from another state,I noticed that a guide from AZ had a pedastal mount of a montain lion head at his display.I never asked him about it but with the fish and game around maybe since he was an American Indian he was exempt.

I saw that yesterday, and several people were commenting about it. The lion mount is in the booth for the Hualapai Apache Reservation, where some of the top trophy elk hunts in the USA take place. As that mount confirms, they also hunt lions.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone says anything to them about it.

I have to several people about this and saying that fish and game does not want this to go to court so they will never cite you with a citation,just my 2 cents.

my understanding is that u can now hunt another state and kill a lion and legally bring it back to ca

Muley,
If you ever find this ruling/law in writing anywhere please post it!! Last time I checked you still could not kill a lion in another state and bring it into CA. Stupid law, If CA wants to do something stupid and not allow lion hunting, so be it. But to not allow a lion that was legally killed in another state to be brought into this state is plain stupid. On another note, they will issue you a permit to bring in a wolverine legally killed else where.

Bill

The Pope & Young Club was considering having one of their biannual banquets in California. They have a trophy display of over 100 of the top animals taken in North America... including mt lions. F&G would not allow the mt lion trophys to be on display under the educational exception.... even though the trophy display would be on display for the public... including bus loads of students, boy/girl scouts... and now they allow this and turn their back... I heard they had a booth there.... what if any reaction did they have? The P&Y convention would have brought hundreds of thousands of dollars to Ca's economy... one more reason to leave Ca and spend my Ca earned retirement elsewhere.... Ed F

http:///user/bowuntr

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-13 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]Ed, i try to go to several sport and boat shows a year here in kali and i find no lack of big game displayed, beautiful animals to look at. I think that you are making up stories! If Pope and Young really thought about Kali for a Banquet, i doubt they thought about it very hard, they could have done so minus the mt.lions and very few would have noticed or cared. Seems to me that you are fed up with Calif in General and just want to grip about that fact as you make it crystal clear in your post. Why not get the heck out now! Just go! Take your money and run quick before it gets you!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I was part of the process so I know the effort that was made. Not even a consideration to leave the lions out and you're wrong about it not being noticed... Go ahead and enjoy the disappearing sport and boat shows in Kali.

I was born and raised in Ca... The only promise Ca has is that it is only going to get worse. I have two more years years in California before I get out... all ready planned exit.

Call it griping... I'm upset and I'll tell you why. For one, the response I posted above about the answer they gave P&Y... which came from the Chief. Now this hypocritical reaction at the show. Finally, I have a Utah lion hunt at the end of the month and I can't even bring the trophy or meat home. I eat all edible meat of the animals I kill. I can't even bring this meat home for my family to enjoy... I'd like to see the Indian Reservation fight this rediculous law. Ed F

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

"If Pope and Young really thought about Kali for a Banquet, i doubt they thought about it very hard, they could have done so minus the mt.lions and very few would have noticed or cared."

Sorry, Joey, but you're completely wrong with your above statement. ALL North American Big Game species recognized by P&Y/B&C need to be displayed at the Convention....and yes, it would be noticed by all if some were excluded.

Ed was asked by the P&Y Board as well as the CBH 2nd VP of Hunting to see if the DFG would issue a lion exemption permit for the event. We were told no. Plain and simple.

BOHNTR )))---------->

After all this time more than one person told me that it was now legal to hunt another state and bring it into ca even the local radio station made it clear that u could when brown signed what ever it was he signed so i have been under the wrong understanding of it and read the law on fish and wildlifes site and what a joke. made it ok for gov offices and non profit groups and such but no hunters . BOWUNTR i dont blame you one bit for trying something new the grass isnt always greener on the other side but it is slowly dieing out here we havent seen the worst yet. why do ca people spend so much money for out of state hunting and if someone doesnt they prob have never been not to say there isnt good hunting in ca just such a small few get to see it dont anyone get affended by anothers thoughts im here but own property and house in idaho and not sure if i could go all winter there

OK, so i was wrong that it wouldn't make a difference if or not the Mt Lions were displayed. I had thought about it before i posted it and it sure wouldn't make a difference to me but i'll buy in with what you're saying there. But again Why consider Cali and why would it even be near the top of the list? given the majority of it occupants are anti hunting or impartial at best?

Also, I get plenty tired of guys complaining, talking about how they can't wait to leave here. I'm near 60 myself and a 5th generation hunter from both sides of my family. My response is and will always be, ypu want to go, "Then get the hell out"!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

"But again Why consider Cali and why would it even be near the top of the list? given the majority of it occupants are anti hunting or impartial at best?"

Here's why:

In 1911, "Ishi" (the last Yahi Indian) walked out of the Butte County wilderness into Oroville, California. Dr. Saxton Pope was a personal physician for Ishi, and later introduced him to Art Young. Both Saxton Pope and Art Young bowhunted with Ishi in the Deer Creek area of California and became friends.

As you know, the P&Y Club, named after Dr. Saxton Pope and Art Young, have a historical relationship with Ishi, as the most prestigious award given by the P&Y Club is aptly named "The Ishi Award". The P&Y Club has wanted to plan a Convention in the state (CA) where this all began for some time now. It's ashamed that an exemption permit can not be issued to allow it to occur. Just my .02.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Well put Roy... exactly the reason. Ca has a huge history of bowhunting and archery. It's interesting to know that most everyone who created that history here... left...
No need to give me any of your advise to get the hell out Joey... hope you're not planning a bear hunt with hounds next season.... Ed F

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

I am Completely aware of the connection of ishi to Dr. Pope, have read several books on the subject and not only that, maybe the foremost living authority on Ishi is Richard Burrill, a very good friend of mine. We have spent way too many hours discussing the merits of individual turkey feathers for his version of Ishi authentic homemade arrows.

My stance on guys that can't wait to leave Calif though remains. If you want out, Go!

Joey

Many of the most influential founders and organizers of the P&Y Club came from California including Jim Dougherty, Bill Krenz, and Doug Walker. It would be an honor to all of us to have a banquet in our state. The chance of that happening will grow even less in the coming years. The California Department of Fish and Game is now The California Department of Fish and Wildlife. Certainly a kinder, gentler name to appease the anti-hunters and yet aren't "fish" wildlife too? Why even make a distinction in the name? Could it be that the ONLY offending part was the word "game"? We no longer have "game wardens" in the field. They have been officially designated "wildlife officers". . The Humane Society of the United States has infiltrated our wildlife agencies and is paying off politicians to gain their votes to stop the use of hunting bears and bobcats with dogs. Did they stop the use of dogs for depredation hunting? The oceans are being closed. Trout plants are under attack. Yet the department keeps a blind eye to a lion in their face at this show. Who are they working for now? I, for one will miss Ed when he leaves. He is exactly the kind of person that we need more of. He speaks up, he volunteers, and he is a great ambassador to bowhunting.

Craig

Thank's for posting your comment's,seem's I am forgetting my history about ISHI and is a real shame for our younger generation.That convention for CA.would have great!Thank's for all your work with the Pope and young and the B&C . WALT

Just as an add on to the Ishi story....

Saxton Pope and Art Young were actually taught how to hunt and shoot in the native tradition. They were actually students of Ishi and without the work that three of them did together we would never know the history of this lost civilization as well as we do.

Wacmaster, nice first post. It's especially nice if one is not aware, has not been down in the trenches fighting for every inch of our heritage that is/has been systematically trying to be taken away by the liberal anti agenda.

I've got a lot of posts but i've really only been here on these pages about 5 years. Way before that though, there has been a group of us that go to the meetings, get our voice and opinions heard, volunteer whenever there is a need, and maybe just get a little done but we keep fighting against the ruination of our outdoor heritage. If there was no input or objection, much of what we still have might have already been taken away.

I don't want to toot my horn to you guys, some of you know me, some from reading my stuff, that i've been involved, am involved, and have sworn to not give up. Yes, i don't see that Calif is all the sudden going to be a better place for us outdoorsmen but i'm not going to take my money and run away from the potential or inevitable doom of it either.

I and a lot of my friends are here and we are in it for the duration. We are going to be heard, there may soon come a day when thousands upon 10's of thousands of concerned and outraged outdoorsmen converge on Sacramento to let the Western World know that we have been pushed just that bit too far. All this said and until that day, i'm still very thankful and appreciative of the wonderful outdoor opportunities that we as California residents still do have.

Those that are doing their best they know to help the situation, i say Thank You. Those who choose to take their chips, cash out, and run away. Go, get the hell out! That's my $.02

Joey

Quote: "Wacmaster, nice first post. It's especially nice if one is not aware, has not been down in the trenches fighting for every inch of our heritage that is/has been systematically trying to be taken away by the liberal anti agenda."

Well, Joey, you should quit while you're ahead, really. I like you amigo, but your posts on this particular thread are beginning to make you look arrogant and foolish, IMO. :)

Just for info, Wacmaster is the 2nd VP of Hunting for the California Bowmen Hunters. He's been "in the trenches" fighting for hunting rights for many, many years.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I posted a letter to the editor many years ago when we were faced with the petition that banned the hunting of mountain lion. In that letter I pleaded with ALL of the sportsmen and women in California to join ranks in fighting against the anti-hunting movement behind it. By and large, it was left to the hunters to fight alone and we eventually lost by a very small tally in a very small voter turnout election. At that time the fishermen outnumbered the hunters in California by more than 10 to 1. IF the fishermen had joined our ranks we would have blown the anti-hunters out of the water. Instead, we lost and gave their movement a huge victory. Fast forward to recenet events and now the fishermen are also being attacked... and losing huge chunks of previously open areas.
We should have joined ranks as outdoor sportsmen and women...PERIOD. The off-roaders, gold panners and dredgers, the campers, the hunters, the fishermen, etc. could play a huge part in keeping what we once thought were "rights". We didn't do that because we didn't fight FOR each other and we continue to pay for that. We do not have a voice that is strong enough and powerful enough to make everyone see the light in this unification and that is really sad. Even our own fish and game department chooses to stay neutral whenever issues like the mountain lions come up. They do NOT issue press releases that tell the truth about the attacks and numbers and need for real management including the use of hunters. The NRA and every other national organization does NOT come to the aid of California and in effect their lack of support indicates their attitude that California is already a lost cause and their dollars are better spent where they actually have a chance to win. That is exactly why groups like the HSUS are taking on California now. We are leaderless and powerless. We are sitting ducks.
Still, I love California and all tht it has to offer and I will die here. Our group of bowhunters spares no effort to show what our state's remaining bowhunters are doing when they hit the outdoors. Our state bowhunting records are continually being broken to this day because of the quality of our game animals. Our record book began in 1962 so breaking records in today's time is no small feat.
We cannot afford to keep losing just as much as we cannot afford to lose all of our good men and women to other states. Right now, I think that the biggest and the best thing tht we can do is to actually figure out how to win one of these battles with the anti's. It isn't too late, but it is very late.

BOHNTR )))----------> , And i like you but you read into my post completely wrong. I realized that i was up against some big guns thinking to put me in my place right off. I have tons of respect for you Bohntr and if these guys are your buds, they gotta be OK in my book. I certainly meant no disrespect to Wackmaster. I will not though, let them or you, look down your nose at me or belittle the things that i, we, and those little guys that join to help in the future are doing or getting done. I may not have a title but i'm the man any of you are and we'll go on from there or we will never agree on anything!

My comment was base on this part of his below statement. Who here has not heard of these changes over and over if not as each issue, and more not listed, came to be? It is a fine list, nice first post, if we didn't already know in great detail about all this stuff... until our ears have bled.

"We no longer have "game wardens" in the field. They have been officially designated "wildlife officers". . The Humane Society of the United States has infiltrated our wildlife agencies and is paying off politicians to gain their votes to stop the use of hunting bears and bobcats with dogs. Did they stop the use of dogs for depredation hunting? The oceans are being closed. Trout plants are under attack. Yet the department keeps a blind eye to a lion in their face at this show. Who are they working for now?"

Frustrated? You bet WE are! We all are, very much so!

Joey

Wacmaster, Here, I sent my letters, phone calls, and spent many hundreds of hours on this back in 2008. Maybe not at your level, maybe so. I did bang on some doors though and i was heard! This is just one issue that i have given my time for. I think we both put our pants on one leg at a time. Have a good one.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...w_thread&om=113&forum=DCForumID40&archive=yes

Joey

Joey - Great posts back then and thanks for the chance to read them.

First of all please understand that I am not debating with you Joey or even questioning what you have done in the past and are doing now to help our cause. In fact, none of this is even something that you need to read because you already know the message. What I am doing is initiating a "general" conversation with the intent of stirring the masses up or at least stimulating their brains.

We will never overturn Prop. 117 because of the writing within its laws that created an 80" majority requirement to overturn it. Pretty funny since it only took a simple "majority" vote to create it in the first place, and that "majority" was only about 10 million voters that year!

What we could do is challenge the constitutionality of the Proposition in court but that would take some very big dollars or someone willing to donate a lot of time. So here we sit.

My biggest recommendations to ANYONE that reads these posts is to use some of your free time and dollars and 1) JOIN up with as many organizations as you can that are fighting against the anti-hunting movement, and 2) write a letter or send an email whenever you can.

Politicians respond to votes because they want to keep their jobs. The NRA has power not because every politician belives in the NRA causes but because EVERY politician has to make a decision whether their career is worth fighting the NRA and risking losing votes. Teddy Roosevelt said to walk softly and carry a big stick. The NRA carries a stick with a sledgehammer attached to it. That is what we COULD do in California if we were all to unite in this cause.

Or... we can just wait it all out until the last forest is locked.

Quote by Wakmasterr

"We should have joined ranks as outdoor sportsmen and women...PERIOD. The off-roaders, gold panners and dredgers, the campers, the hunters, the fishermen, etc. could play a huge part in keeping what we once thought were "rights". We didn't do that because we didn't fight FOR each other and we continue to pay for that. "

Ain't that the truth!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

It would not surprise me that if the CA. fish & wildlife officials are ignoring that mount of a mountain lion. They may be afraid of taking on the Apache Indian rez for fear they have the money and the lawyers to step in and sue them.

They may be afraid of losing the suit, possibly under the commerce issue and have to allow lions into the state if taken legally in other states. Just a guess on my part, but you can bet there is a underlying reason for no action on their part. Would not be the first time CA. passed law that they knew would not stand the test in courts.

Asking them for permission to do it as P&Y did, and flaunting it in their face are two different senaros. They will always say no, but may balk if it means going to court for the litmus test.

RELH

There was an interesting article in yesterday's Los Angeles Times newspaper about another push to legalize ferrets in California. California along with Hawaiii are the only states in the US that have not legalized them for fear of their getting loose in the wild and creating havoc with the balance of nature.
One of the people quoted in the article has three ferrets at his home. The writer referred to the ferrets by name and even described the cages that were custom made by a company in Arizona according to the guy being interviewed. The writer gave the name and the city that the ferret owner lived in, as well as the fact that the ferret owner made an unsuccessful run to be state governor.
Now the kicker... when the DF&W was asked about the issue they only stated why they didn't want them legalized...

BUT... IN WRITING....

They said they had neither the time nor the funds to prosecute the ferret owners. Now, would you say that this ferret owner (Pat Wright) was kicking sand in the DF&W's face? Does anything that the DF&G does make sense anymore?

Cali F&G didn't make possession of lions illegal....the moronic legislature did. I, for one, am glad they ignore the law.

Genghis Khan raped so many women that 1 in 200 people today carry his genes..

I was going to say, my Taxidermist has one in his shop and its been there for a while...Things that make you go hmmmm!

'Ike'

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom