AZ Limited Opp hunts

AZGFD just sent out an email saying 18852 applications were received for the limited opportunity hunts...

I'm probably missing something but that generated $245k in revenue for wildlife.

The average governor deer tag is probably $300k+.

How is this a success? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Limited Entry, not Limited Opportunity. Big difference. 9 Animals die for $250,000 is pretty good compared to the regular $58 deer tag or $148 elk tag. Thats $27,777 per animal. This is about money, it's all they care about. They changed the governor's tags due to anti hunting pressure.

Limited Entry, not Limited Opportunity. Big difference. 9 Animals die for $250,000 is pretty good compared to the regular $58 deer tag or $148 elk tag. Thats $27,777 per animal. This is about money, it's all they care about. They changed the governor's tags due to anti hunting pressure.

So I stand corrected, reality is they generated $250k for 9 hunts. Findlay paid $725k for one tag. Now that governor tags are out, how can you even compare the two?

Again, I'm probably missing something, but wildlife is getting the short end of the stick....

AZGFD just sent out an email saying 18852 applications were received for the limited opportunity hunts...

I'm probably missing something but that generated $245k in revenue for wildlife.

The average governor deer tag is probably $300k+.

How is this a success? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Could be more. Each application can possibly have 9 selections, with a $13 charge per selection.

AZGFD has never clarified if its total amount of applications or total amount of hunts selected per application. If it's the later, then yeah, your numbers are correct. But......

Each application in theory can generate $117. Revenue could be significantly higher. But it's never been clarified. It's never published.

So I stand corrected, reality is they generated $250k for 9 hunts. Findlay paid $725k for one tag. Now that governor tags are out, how can you even compare the two?

Again, I'm probably missing something, but wildlife is getting the short end of the stick....
It's not comparable. The governors tags made a lot of money. The department ditched them after taking heat for auctioning tags. They feel the raffle thing is more appropriate. Seems to me they are just catering to public feelings.

It's not comparable. The governors tags made a lot of money. The department ditched them after taking heat for auctioning tags. They feel the raffle thing is more appropriate. Seems to me they are just catering to public feelings.
Better get used to Wildlife agencies catering to public feelings. One doesn’t have to look any farther than Colorado, if I was a betting man I would bet they won’t be hunting Mountain Lion, Lynx and Bobcats after the election. AZ and many other western states won’t be far behind

I might have spent a few bucks on this, but the fine print said you have to be present in AZ at the time of purchase. Did I read this wrong?

Could be more. Each application can possibly have 9 selections, with a $13 charge per selection.

AZGFD has never clarified if its total amount of applications or total amount of hunts selected per application. If it's the later, then yeah, your numbers are correct. But......

Each application in theory can generate $117. Revenue could be significantly higher. But it's never been clarified. It's never published.
So I thought about that, but if this truly happened that would have the same impact as an elk draw. The deer hunt generated somewhere in the 190k applications, in this scenario it would be 170k assuming everyone applied for 9 hunts.

I think the 18k number is probably "all in" which is a pretty poor replacement of wildlife funds vs 1 auction tag.

Also told these funds go into the G&A budget at the AZGFD vs towards wildlife conservation. Don't know where to find that to validate, but that makes it even worse.....

I think that's right....
So I thought about that, but if this truly happened that would have the same impact as an elk draw. The deer hunt generated somewhere in the 190k applications, in this scenario it would be 170k assuming everyone applied for 9 hunts.

I think the 18k number is probably "all in" which is a pretty poor replacement of wildlife funds vs 1 auction tag.

Also told these funds go into the G&A budget at the AZGFD vs towards wildlife conservation. Don't know where to find that to validate, but that makes it even worse.....
I would bet good money the 18,000 is total number of applications which means an application could have only selected one of the hunts or could have chose them all. I know I spent $52. I’d be willing to bet these 9 tags generated between $1,000,000 and 2,000,0000 which the department can use as needed.

I would bet good money the 18,000 is total number of applications which means an application could have only selected one of the hunts or could have chose them all. I know I spent $52. I’d be willing to bet these 9 tags generated between $1,000,000 and 2,000,0000 which the department can use as needed.
So you average at $60 and that's around $1M. The deer tag last year went for $725k. The sheep and elk tags typically go for $300k - $400k each and that's only 3 tags. Historically they would sell 2 of each....

The funds are for wildlife conservation, not so Karen in accounting gets a raise.

Bad move all the way around for wildlife in my opinion....

I might have spent a few bucks on this, but the fine print said you have to be present in AZ at the time of purchase. Did I read this wrong?
I think that’s the AZ Big Game Super Raffle. In thought this one since it’s through the game and fish and not a 3rd party was open to NR?

So you average at $60 and that's around $1M. The deer tag last year went for $725k. The sheep and elk tags typically go for $300k - $400k each and that's only 3 tags. Historically they would sell 2 of each....

The funds are for wildlife conservation, not so Karen in accounting gets a raise.

Bad move all the way around for wildlife in my opinion....
Totally different cases, there will still be 3 tags per a species a year to raise money just for those species. Sorry to burst your bubble but “Karen in accounting “ won’t be getting any raise from the funds raised.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom