AZ Javelina

H

hogliver

Anyone willing to provide info re good place to hunt javelina in Unit 10, 18A, 18B, 16A? any good recommendation on a guide?

Never hunted it but 18B looks like great javelina country. I regularly hunt 20C to the south and never have problems finding javelina.

I hunted elk on unit 10 a few years ago on the late hunt and ran into lots of javelinas. I don't know if they are in the same places in Nov and Feb (supposing you're looking at a spring hunt). Send me a PM if you decide on unit 10 and I'll pull out my maps and give you the location where we saw them.

No need to hire a guide... they are about the easiest do it yourself animals around. I've hunted them in AZ 6-7 times, mostly different places each time and never left without one. Very fun hunt. sure the guys here can chime in with enough info on them units to give you a good idea where to go

IMO Javelina are the hardest thing to find but the easiest thing to hunt. I get skunked hunting them more than any other spieces. Those little peccaries blend in so well that it makes them dificult to see even when they are right in front of you.

That being said........ I don't think a guide is necessary. They are there, you just have to be patient and glass as much as possible. I hunt 18B quite a bit and I just went to azgfd website and looked at where they recommended. It worked for me so it should work for you. Here is what G&F wrote:

Javelina
Overview: The javelina heard still appears to be fairing well in Unit 18B. Overall hunt success usually runs around 30 percent. Other than the general rifle season, there is also a H.A.M. hunt and an archery hunt that occur in 18B. Often, javelina can be harder to find during the rifle hunt after being pressured into more remote locations from the archery and H.A.M. hunters. Weather can be a big factor during any of these hunts. When it is cold and wet, look for the javelina to be out on the sunny slopes as soon as the sun comes up, but if it is warm, expect to find them keeping cool in the brush near the bottom of drainages or near springs.

Areas: The most popular place to hunt javelina in 18B is off Signal Road to the east of Highway 93 (milepost 132). This area is usually populated with many camps and is easily accessible in good and bad weather. This area consists of mixed Mohave and Sonoran desert scrub in the lower portions and more chaparral as elevation increases. There are many drainages and breaks that provide opportunities for glassing.

Two other popular areas are Bozarth Mesa to the east of Burro Creek, and Goodwin Mesa to the west. Hunters will not be permitted to use the Bagdad Mine to access the lower portions of Bozarth Mesa. Bozarth, Behm, and Contreras mesas can all be accessed from Camp Wood Road. Goodwin Mesa can be accessed from Signal Road east of Highway 93 at milepost 132, or from the Upper or Lower Trout Creek roads at mileposts 107.5 and 110.5. These two areas allow a hunter to do a lot of glassing with binoculars or a spotting scope. They are large, semi-desert grassland mesas with some canyons and drainages and there is plenty of forage for javelina.

Other areas include: any of the desert areas that can be accessed from the two track roads that run east from Highway 93, areas along Highway 97, or the road at Nothing, Ariz. that goes to Burro Creek.

It is also recommended you purchase a mountain lion tag. Several lions are observed every year during this hunt.

Good luck!

The pigs are in all of the units that you mentioned. I think most people just have a hard time seeing them. I would spend a lot of time glassing open slopes with prickly pear on them and you should do alright. If you have the archery tag, I might see you out there. Good luck

muleybulloutfitters.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom