AZ Antelope

A

azbucksnbulls

Able to draw my first archery antelope tag in Arizona unit 3Bn. How should i go about hunting these critters? It seems like sitting water or using decoys works fairly well?
Any tips/opinions would be greatly appreciated

You put in for an Arizona archery antelope tag without knowing how to hunt them? You are a true optimist. Sounds like you've at least read about it. Most use the "sit on the water hole" method. That's definitely the most productive. Decoys work okay. You may have seen how well walking beside a horse can be. Take your time and let the horse graze and you can get right up on them. Stalking is really tough. They just don't mess much. One technique that has worked for me if the circumstances are right is; If you can sneak in close without being seen (within 100 yards), and have some fairly high brush to hide in,(kneeling and still be hidden) you can then grind your feet into the ground and rocks. It sounds like another buck making a scrape. The dominate buck will usually come running right up to investigate. I've had them come within 10 yards of me. It won't always work, but I've had it work on a pretty regular basis. Just one method I've never seen written about before.

The first thing I would do is buy a good map that shows private property. 3BN is checkerboarded with private land and some of the landowners have a few marbles loose out there and have a short fuse. Property is not posted properly in a lot of areas. Be prepared for a tough hunt. I live next to the unit and the antelope numbers are not very high. A lot of country that is thick cedars. There are some very nice bucks in the unit just going to take some time to find them. Had a friend kill a nice buck out of there two years ago sitting water. Just keep after it and you will have a good time

Brian

thanks brian, i spend alot of time in the area and have seen some real good bucks, thats why i put in for the hunt. Thaks for the advice.
-Drew

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom