axes and hatchets

B

bucklover

After many of you shared absolutely great information concerning how to sharpen knives, it got me to thinking. In the older days, a small ax or hatchet was a pretty important piece of equipment. How many of you still carry one? With the non-gutting boning methods a lot of us use now days, I don't see much use for one for breaking an animal down. However, I could definitely see how one could come in handy in setting up a camp, other than the noise. I have never packed one with me, but if I set up camp near my truck or 4 wheeler I have one close by. Thanks, again for all the great info and responses concerning knife sharpening.

Axes are nice in camp, I use one a lot around home in the winter to chop kindling... Hatchets in camp are a good way to end a hunt early due to lacerations in the shin area...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yes, i have a Gr?nsfors Bruks Hatchet that goes where my truck goes but i generally don't pack it. Wonderful tool that really holds an edge. I keep it razor sharp, sometimes it'a actually sharper than my knives.

I also carry an neat old boyscout type axe in my camper rig that was made by Plumb. It too has great steel but not the quality of or as versatile a cutting tool as the Gransfors.

Neither one of these were cheap to come by and certainly, they are not toys.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom