ATV Transmission Noise

grizzly

Long Time Member
Hey guys, I know a lot of you know much more about ATV's than I do, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I have a 2010 Polaris Sportsman. Everything was fine when I put it away for the winter, I pushed it out of the garage today and started it up. When it is in N or P there is a slight knock coming from the transmission, you can even feel it if you put your hand on the transmission cover near the left foot plate. The noise goes away in H, L, or R.

Any ideas, could a belt be off/loose? The ATV runs great other than that noise.

Grizzly

I know on some Polaris Machines Have to have the Valve/Valves adjusted that will make some noise but that's on the Engine not the Tranny!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Bessy did you put a bullet in there for him??

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Well justr!

I was gonna have him look for a 3/8" entrance hole but I'm afraid I might offend some of the Thin-Skins around here!:D

(Just RAZZIN Ya Grizzly!:D)

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Im Offended!!!! How dare you tune someone else's property! Your as bad as they are. Im calling the authorities!!!!! LMAO

Check the oil, I change oil on mine at least every spring and fall. Belt is not bad to check but if you need to change it you will need some help. Look online or buy a clymer manual, they help a lot. Or just sale your polaris and buy a good wheeler

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I had the oil changed last fall before I put it away.

I pulled the clutch assembly cover and can see where the belt makes slight contact with the inside of the cover when in N or P. The tranny prevents the belt from turning when in R, H, or L.

How can I make a slight adjustment to the clutch belt to prevent that contact?

Grizzly

How long has the belt been on the machine ? If it is old it may be time to change it. The only time I have had noise there,it is the belt coming apart. If I remember correctly it should be replaced every 150 hours. Not hard to change.

The machine was new last year and only has 45 hours on it.

I inspected the belt and it looks brand new so I loosened the motor mount at the front of the engine and slid the motor to the right about 1/16". That took up enough slack in the driving clutch to tighten the belt at idle and keep it away from the cover.

We'll see how it holds up.

Grizzly

Not sure about the polaris, but the Yamaha recommends having the belt adjusted after the 100 miles to make sure it is not out of alignment after some "break in" time. I had mine done(part of our purchase agreement) but I believe they used shims to take up the slack, not moving the motor. I have the CLymer manuals for my rides, pretty good info on how to do stuff.

what yamaha model do they adjust the belt on after 100 miles?? I have worked on yamaha atv's since they came out with the yt125 3 wheeler in 1980. ALL of the automatic 4 wheelers have the front cluch running off the crank to the primary sheave. the secondary sheave shaft from the transmission also comes through the same crankcase half. there is no adjustment to front clutch to back clutch distance be cause there is no way to change it. ce61 ps I can adjust your belt for you at 100 miles just call me and put the phone by the clutch cover.....

I had a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO that was making those noises while I was in the hills 12 miles from the house. Pretty soon it would only run in low gear and I had to get off and help it up the hills while trying to get home.
Took in in and they said the clutch went out. It had 600 miles on it.

Yikes. Hopefully mine doesn't have that problem. I took the clutch cover off and it only makes the noise while the cover is on and I can see a wear mark on the inside of the cover. Since I made the adjustment, I don't have a problem. We'll see if it holds.

Grizzly

My buddy has a Polaris.Don't want to sound pessimistic,but it seems he is constantly fixing it.Not that old,either.

This is the fifth Polaris my family has bought since 2006. We have never had a problem with any of them. Plus two that were bought pre-2000.

I doubt this is a problem, it just needed a slight adjustment. Most guys probably wouldn't have even heard the tick I was hearing. I'm really sensitive to noises like that (probably the reason the car mechanic hates it when I walk into his shop).

Grizzly

If you moved the motor too much and caused a misalignment of your primary and secondary clutch you will start to go through belts really quickly. The clutches are designed to be aligned properly. If not excess heat and wear will destroy the belt.

grizzly---Your post rang a bell about noises. I remember when I was a youngun and my Dad used to take me to school and then drop off my paternal Grandpa at the firehouse at Ft. Harrison, IN where he was Fire Chief. One day Dad was griping about a little rattle in the car like he was prone to do about little things like that and Grandpa said you should have noises like that so you know you're moving and don't step out and kill yourself when running down the road, LOL! He was a real hoot and went way too early in life!

The adjustment was about 1/16". I doubt it will hurt anything, at least any more than the belt contacting the cover would've.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom