ATV Rules/Regulations

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Can someone direct me to the current Rules and Regs concerning using an ATV in Utah on public ground? I really appreciate the help.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

Why Glad to help you Wisz!

Leave the SOB in Kali!

Rule # 1:Leave Your Wheeler/Wheelers in Kali!

Rule # 2:Keep A Close eye on Your Wheelers if you decide to Break Rule # 1!

Rule # 3:If in Doubt Re-Read Rule #1!

Rule # 4:If not Obeying the first 3 Rules,concentrate on Rule # 5!

Rule # 5:The Worst Pair of Hunting Boots are Better than becoming a Quad-Queer!

Rule # 6:You could call the UDWR again!:D

Best of Luck Wisz,Wished I could be there,you know I gotta RAZZ You!:D

Plick! LOL. So you know, I don't hunt off a quad. As a matter of fact, the one I'm borrowing is the first one I will EVER ride. I test drove it the other day...easy-peasy. I need it to get to where I want to hunt. My 2 wheel drive truck will not make it over and through all the nasty rock and crap up there. Last thing I wanna do is blow a tire out there. So, my buddys's old wheeler will work just fine for me to get me where I need to get. Plus, I'll be by myself this hunt. I won't have my Dad there to help me drag my buck out. Much easier to drag it to a wheeler on a deer slayer and then load it on the wheeler. You forget BESS, I'm 40 now....getting old. :)

Now, what about the REAL rules and regs?

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-12 AT 10:46AM (MST)[p]If you use them right there is nothing wrong with using an ATV on your hunt. Some of these blow hards think that if you don't start hiking at 0300 and put on twenty miles a day you don't deserve an animal. Well I would just as soon ride my quad on legal trails to get a little closer and then start hiking. If you use them right they are a great tool. Good luck

pretty much stay on marked trails and roads and you will be fine.

Wisz,
Like was said, about any two track is accessible unless it is otherwise marked. Generally there will be a brown trail marker up if you are not supposed to go on a road.
Good luck on the hunt!

Thanks guys.....wasn't sure if Utah requires a special permit or class I'd have to pass to be able to ride one on public ground.

Steve

The above link is to the state parks rules a lot of them are the same on forest service and blm land though, except for the flag rule if I remember right.

I am usually not one to use a 4-wheeler much, but on the Vernon it's a must, even with a 4-wheel drive truck much of that unit is not accessible.

Utah does not require additional registration if your atv is registered in certain states, not sure if California is one of them, you will need to check on that. Although almost all if not all of the roads in Vernon are open to 4-wheelers Utah law requires a road to be marked as open to ATV's or it is closed.

Other then that carry a patch kit and a pump with you out there, miles of dirt roads and lots of sharp rocks can be hard on tires.

Good luck on your hunt, the Vernon is a fun place!

>Wisz,
>Like was said, about any two
>track is accessible unless it
>is otherwise marked. Generally
>there will be a brown
>trail marker up if you
>are not supposed to go
>on a road.

A common misunderstanding, but the opposite is actually the law. ATVs aren't allowed anywhere unless the trail or road is designated for ATV use.

Make sure you buy a $30 non res permit for the bike. I bought 1 for each of my bikes before the elk hunt and was actually checked by the BLM for the registration and sticker. You have to get them at State Parks Building on North Temple in Salt Lake.

Problem I've been having...twice on the Wasatch unit is people ripping out the brown trail marker that says "no mororized vehicles" and tossing it. I've put it back up twice and turned two guys this year for bypassing it.

Cokeman- Just for the future...Utah has a reciporical agreement that certain states don't have to pay the non res fees. California is one of those states. I am not required to pay a non res fee. I do appreciate the "look out" though.

Steve

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom