ATV Rules clarification

tmbr_hntr

I have read the ID rules on the units that have atv restrictions, but am still a little confused. I will be hunting one of the zones that has atv restrictions. It states that they can only be used of open roads capable of full size vehicles, but then states that Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed game(and pack in camp) if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager.

So my confusion is where the exceptions apply? Does that mean that someone may use the atv for those exceptions JUST on atv/moto trails that would otherwise be open except for hunting season or does it mean that someone could use trails that show as closed even right now?

I don't use an atv for hunting. I am mostly asking because I am trying to figure out areas that guys will be using atvs or motos for this exception. The units I am hunting show many trails that are open right now, but I am assuming will be closed during hunting season, but there are also many older trails and roads that show as closed right now. During my scouting I have seen these trails/roads with "Closed" signs on them currently(even tho I see recent tracks on them :( people go right around).

My understanding is if you can drive a car / truck on the road or trail you can drive a sxs / atv motorcycle. The clause you are asking about is IF you are on private property in a travel restricted unit then it is up to the landowner . I am pretty sure if you are in a general unit { not on private } and there are travel restrictions in place then that means ALL roads & trails are closed

I would love to know that for sure. Maybe I need to call idfw. There are many moto/atv trails that are open right, but if I knew they would be closed during the season that would make a big difference in hunting pressure. Many get you 5-10 miles that would be difficult otherwise.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom