Attention Oryx experts....

D

D13er

got a friend with the end of February Rhoades canyon tag.....what does he need to know?

JB

1. Have a fun time
2. Shoot a little more forward then you would on a deer or elk as Oryx vitals are a little more forward.
3. Be carful if you see a single Oryx they are hard to judge without others around
4. Make sure it has both horns
5. Do not bring cameras on to the range
6. Have a couple spare tires

You will have a ball dont shoot the first oryx you see (unless it is a TOAD) It will be like a RAT RACE at first with all the other Hunters leaving at the same time so be ready for that. Optics will be your best freind so use them.

I Wish I was going that has got to be the funnest hunt I have been on

I agree with everything UThunting said. I, however, have a different opinion on holding out for a big one. My wife had Rhodes in March '08 and it wasn't the "easy hunt" that people told me about. Oryx were standing everywhere when we left the lot until people started shooting and driving like Bo Duke from the Dukes of Hazard. Once it kicks off, they disappear like any smart animal. Most people will be road hunting. You will have to rely on your glasses and maybe even do short hikes to look into areas that can't be glassed from the road. My advice to you is if you don't shoot a big one soon after the race out of the lot, then you should shoot the biggest animal that you see out of the first group that you come across. I didn't see any animals that stood still unless they were sub-adults. From the stuff I have reviewed, success rates are slowly slipping and the harvested animals seem to be less mature. Some people, not my wife, ate tag soup on this Once in a Lifetime hunt because they tried to hold out for a trophy. I hope I draw someday. Good luck.

JB,
In the New Mexico frum there are a couple good posts you will want to read. Look for one started by CompassWest, it is probably the best post on the topic.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Compass West is an excellent outfitter if you are looking to make the most of your hunt. I can't say enough about optics at least 10x40 and a spotting scope.Great hunt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom