Attatch rifle to pack?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach my rifle to my external frame pack. I know some packs are designed to carry a rifle or bow but mine is not.

I'm sure some of you have gone through the trial and error process of making it work. I would appreciate any advice you could pass on. Thanks. A photo would be great!

The days of my full pack 20 mile hikes are over, but I still need to get back in a few miles. :)

There are Exceptions Eel: :D

9688atv.jpg

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Eel I do declare, Bess is looking out for you. He must really like you to post that option that includes an ATV.

RELH

I use a standard internal pack with no special spot for a rifle. Because of rifle weight, I like to keep it tight to my back, so I just slide it right down into the main pocket barrel first (stock up). Sometimes I use only the cross straps to hold it snug, but leave enough room (play) that I can reach up and slide it out quick if need be.
Sliding it out with bipods attached is where it gets tricky. The bipods catch on pack fabric sometimes. But it's super smooth if the gun has no bipods attached.
When I'm hunting, my gun is almost always in my pack like that.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Kifaru gun bearer! Works great. Pull the strap and the rifle is free and you can have it up and ready to shoot in about 1-2 seconds.

elkassassin, I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. I'm not falling for that set up. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea products of that nature were available. Inexpensive too. I'll settle on one soon!

The Kifaru attachment is especially appropriate in bear country. It can, however, be an annoyance when using trekking poles and you definitely need to have it adjusted right or your barrel can bang you in the head. I actually prefer to strap my weapon on my pack when I don't need immediate access, but my packs have always had side straps and pockets that allow that to happen.
Best of luck

Once upon a time I bought a nylon horse scabbard and it had straps on it already got a scoped rifle and really good u may wanna add a little lashing but I would bet u could find a spot to attach it to a frame pack

+1 on the Kifaru Gunbearer.

7877b0000453small.jpg

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Please take a look at the following video:

This above Video is an old friend Cody, I lost contact with. He uses what others have mentioned above yet he changed it up.

I did something different, I bought 4 (Gave some to others) of the German AK-47 Mag pouches (Below link) and did the same. They cost $3.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...grade-1-condition-aks-224.do?from=Search&cx=0

In one such pouch I cut out the center divider. This gives me a space for the Rifle's Butt and room left over. Cody wears his Rifle in the proper manner. Aside from Orange, the best way to see Hunters is the Sun reflecting off shiny oiled Blue'd Barrels. But that another topic.

I could not wear my Rifle, especially if a Carbine as shown in product advertisements or, above. It SWINGS as my old body hobbles along. Plus, if worn across the chest, it is in a perfect position to bend to go under limbs or crawl into a shooting or observation position.

But for Three Dollars and some tid bits of rigging it to suit you, it's a good option. Even if the cheaper than dirt water proof mag pouch is not what someone wants to use as shown in the video, it is a great item to have. Cell phone, wallet, tags, etc, all kept safe.

Just a thought to consider.

jagerdad

It is probably the most vexing problem in backpack hunting.

I have tried some expensive packs but now use an Eberlestock, mainly because it solves the rifle problem so elegantly with the built in rifle scabbard. The packs weigh on average 2 pounds more than packs like Kifaru but the tradeoff in weight is well worth it for the built in scabbard.

The Kifaru Gunbearer system is OK, but simply not workable for long hikes or hikes with trekking poles (which I like to use).

The second best option is to buy a detachable scabbard like the Eberlestock and simply lash it firmly to either the side or back of your pack.

Just my 2 cents after years of dealing with this issue.

I never put rifle in pack, unless my tag is punched. Don't understand how you guys do it. Some times you only have a split second.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My Cabella's Alaska Freighter pack has a rifle securing system on the side under pocket that works well.

I like my E-stock J104 and the scabbard system that works well for more than just rifles.Scopes,tripods,fishing rods,etc.

I picked up a MR Crewcab pack for day trips and hunting that is nice for hunting,but not for the full pack out. IMHO
On my deer hunt last year,I attached my rifle to it, with a full pack of venison & head and it was a pain in the everything. I found a tree in the shade,left half the meat & head and went back to camp for the E-stock.

For 25 years I used a Safari Sling hunting and love it.My rifle is always at hand while out of my hands.Same with the MZ.

Thanks for the feedback. I experimented with a few ideas by just lashing it onto the pack with straps this weekend. I'm not happy yet.

Where I'll be hiking is mostly solid timber and not much chance of needing quick access to my rifle, otherwise I'd just hunt it. It's more important in this case to have two free hands. I'm trying to access some good country by coming in from the back side away from other hunters. It's about 2.5 miles one way. I want to set up a little dry camp and I'm sure the bucks will be in herds and all 4x4s or better. :) I found it last year and I have to wait for the snow to be gone so I can scout it better.

I really think the Eberlestock with the rifle scabbard would make a believer out of you for what you describe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom