Area 16 Elk Type 2

30Hart

Very Active Member
Okay, Eastman's Wyoming Elk list is out and a couple new areas are on the blue chip list. One of the areas is 16 type 1 and type 2. Type 2 is supposed to be a November only hunt for big bulls on winter grounds. Since this is right in the middle of Shirley Basin/Shirley Mountain what do you think you could expect from this hunt? Are the winter grounds public and are there 310-330 bulls out there like Eastman's says? thanks

There should be elk of that caliber in just about any unit out there that has a decent elk population. It's the finding them that can get a little tricky and time consuming.

It's always tricky finding that caliber of elk, but are they accessible in 16 on public land during November in their winter grounds?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-12 AT 03:31PM (MST)[p]Sweet elk on Q Creeks website, but I'm hunting DIY on public land...I can't spend $5,600 on an elk hunt...the $1,000 tag is enough. Is see they own 840 sq miles, so I'm wondering what the quality is off the ranch in November?

I have deer hunted and antelope hunted that area several times and never seen an elk on public land.I have seen all the sign ,but no elk. There are other land owners that allow hunting in unit 16 other than Q Creek and they do not charge anywhere near that much money. Call the GAMEWARDEN out og Medcine Bow 307-379-2337,he is a real nice guy and will give you alot of insight on the area.
I have applied twice for a Type 6 tag and will do so again this year.Hopefull to draw a tag soon.Several land owner will allow access for cow elk and the meat is great.

If you PM me I will lt you know where I have seen elk sign on public land while deer hunting.

Access is getting tougher every year in 16. The Q has been buying neighboing ranches and closing them off ever since they moved in. A friend who hunted there last season said the warden told him the Q plans to buy out every ranch in the area who will sell. The Q is owned by the Walton family. 16 has always produced big bulls. In recent years the draw odds have been getting tougher. I'd suspect that's what tipped off Eastman's. Nothing new regarding what they're reporting...

For the most part the elk, and especially the big herds, will be in the checkerboard and block private by the time the late season rolls around. Actually they are on private or inaccessible public for most of the year. Eastmans may actually have some idea of what they're talking about on this one since I believe they have paid to hunt antelope and deer on Q Creek ranch in the past.

Just like any other unit, if you're in the right place at the right time, the unit might seem deceptively easy.

I hunt coyotes in the area, depending on snow you will find elk in the public on the low areas. Moset years you can still get up higher on the mountain and hunt and kill big bulls in the late season.

Lots of the lower ground is private. I do believe that bulls could be found higher after the rut, especially if the weather is not too bad. But, do yourself a favor and call the bio and warden, two people with actual experience in the area. Sometimes these magazine recommendations are laughable . . .

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-12 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]Agreed. It's all about sales and trying to out compete the next mag with their drivel...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom