Are you buying ammo?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I hope you're not stocking up on lead ammo for hunting. It might get outlawed...gee, you can be just like California.

A study of hundreds of bald eagles and golden eagles showed that nearly half of them had chronic lead poisoning.

Scientists believe that the primary source of the lead is spent ammunition from hunters who shoot animals that eagles then scavenge, usually during the winter, according to the study, which was published on Thursday in the journal Science.

Nearly a third of the birds tested also showed signs of acute poisoning, or short-term exposure to lead, according to the study, which was led by scientists from the United States Geological Survey, Conservation Science Global, Inc. and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

I watched it last night, and was amazed that the anti's interviewed actually said that hunters were killing all these animals with shotguns. They even showed a supposed X-Ray of a deer carcass, riddled with bird shot, that the eagles would eatt!! Really??

Since it was supposedly about bald eagles, how come all the video was of Goldens??

Sounds like they need to give us all free Barnes bullets!!

Is it ok to ask, so what?

I heard for YEARS steel shot would destroy waterfowl hunting. Steel shot destroys shotguns. It's the end of the world

Lead, ain't real great for humans, not sure it could be great for eagles either.

I wonder if it ever dawn's on guys, as they type into their Iphone 12, that tech improves yearly, especially if their is a market.

Yeah, we should move away from lead, voluntary, as a hunting community, simply because we should.

Or, we can stand on our heads screaming about them damn libs, until it gets banned for us, then we can have another bullet shortage waiting for the market to catch up.

A-F'N-Mazing How We Ever Survived!

You still making lead toilet flanges? Why not?

Still driving lead gas?

Some old ways, are ok to let go

Tell me you didn't just post up a Bucky Covington song.

Because doing so, might prove, the lead has gotten to you as well

Gonna Tell You Something Hossy!

When I Was A Kid The Ole Man Would Bring These Old Thermostats Home!

I'd Break The Little Glass Tube open & Collect The Mercury!

We Thought it Was Cool while we were at School To Put a Copper Penny in the Mercury & Turn The Penny Silver!

Teachers Never Said a Word!

Not the Smartest Thing To Be F'N around With!

They Ruined My Racing Fuel When They Done away With High Octane Leaded!

I've Handled a Few Lead Flanges In My Day!

I've Made My Own Lead Sinkers!

I've Cast My Own HAWKENS Bullets!

I've Ate Quackers,I Mean LEAD Before!

I've Surely had Some Lead with Some Deer/Elk Steaks!

I've Helped Un-Load X-Ray Doors & Handle All The LEAD TAPE for Seams that goes with it!

Handled alot of Lead Ingots!

Handled Pieces of Raw LEAD from the Kennecott Mine!

Run a Little LEADED Solder in My Day!

Ya!

It Ain't No Wonder I'm F'ED Up!

So Hossy?

You Don't Like & Believe The Song?

I Don't Care Who Sings it!

IT WAS A DIFFERENT LIFE!

But They're Gonna Save Your Ass Now!

Gonna Tell You Something Hossy!

When I Was A Kid The Ole Man Would Bring These Old Thermostats Home!

I'd Break The Little Glass Tube open & Collect The Mercury!

We Thought it Was Cool while we were at School To Put a Copper Penny in the Mercury & Turn The Penny Silver!

Teachers Never Said a Word!

Not the Smartest Thing To Be F'N around With!

They Ruined My Racing Fuel When They Done away With High Octane Leaded!

I've Handled a Few Lead Flanges In My Day!

I've Made My Own Lead Sinkers!

I've Cast My Own HAWKENS Bullets!

I've Ate Quackers,I Mean LEAD Before!

I've Surely had Some Lead with Some Deer/Elk Steaks!

I've Helped Un-Load X-Ray Doors & Handle All The LEAD TAPE for Seams that goes with it!

Handled alot of Lead Ingots!

Handled Pieces of Raw LEAD from the Kennecott Mine!

Run a Little LEADED Solder in My Day!

Ya!

It Ain't No Wonder I'm F'ED Up!

So Hossy?

You Don't Like & Believe The Song?

I Don't Care Who Sings it!

IT WAS A DIFFERENT LIFE!

But They're Gonna Save Your Ass Now!
So maybe that ruined your health not so much the ticks ?

Is it ok to ask, so what?

I heard for YEARS steel shot would destroy waterfowl hunting. Steel shot destroys shotguns. It's the end of the world

Lead, ain't real great for humans, not sure it could be great for eagles either.

I wonder if it ever dawn's on guys, as they type into their Iphone 12, that tech improves yearly, especially if their is a market.

Yeah, we should move away from lead, voluntary, as a hunting community, simply because we should.

Or, we can stand on our heads screaming about them damn libs, until it gets banned for us, then we can have another bullet shortage waiting for the market to catch up.
In my opinion it's not really a hunting thing but a shooting thing. Most hunters can afford to shoot copper solids because they don't shoot many rounds per year. But I think it's a long term plan to drive people out of shooting sports and gun ownership in general by making it so unaffordable or cumbersome that people just give up. Then you get the "well it doesn't affect me" apathy voters. All well and good until they start seizing your neighbors bank account for buying a trucker a meal, like our neighbors to the north.

As a side note I'd love to take the risks on a few brass pipe fittings with lead in the alloy again. The brittle **** they sell now is worthless.

In my opinion it's not really a hunting thing but a shooting thing. Most hunters can afford to shoot copper solids because they don't shoot many rounds per year. But I think it's a long term plan to drive people out of shooting sports and gun ownership in general by making it so unaffordable or cumbersome that people just give up. Then you get the "well it doesn't affect me" apathy voters. All well and good until they start seizing your neighbors bank account for buying a trucker a meal, like our neighbors to the north.

As a side note I'd love to take the risks on a few brass pipe fittings with lead in the alloy again. The brittle **** they sell now is worthless.

Wish I Had The Money In My Pocket I've Wasted on these Newer LOW-LEAD/NO-LEAD TRASHY Built in CHINA F'N GARBAGE Brass Fittings That Break/Split Long before You Get Them Tight Enough You'd Trust Them!

WAFJ!

Not Gonna Argue That DM!

But There Ain't One Hunter Alive That Hasn't In-jested Some Lead!

Hossy Is a Known QUACKER Hunter!

You/He Doesn't Think He's Swallered Some Lead in His Day?
So maybe Hossy likes eating lead shot ? Didn't clean the birds? Lol
I have fished as much as anyone and set the split shot with my teeth. That's what is wrong with me too ?

Hell, I bet Eel and Homer are so old they’ve poured a Babbitt bearing or two in their day.

Kids all be like “Whut?”

Not Gonna Argue That DM!

Until you change your digestive system to the same as avian critters, ingesting solid lead will have little or no effect on your body. You chit most non-digestible solids that you swallow. Ask me how I know & I'll relate an amusing tale. ;)

Repeatedly inhaling minute particles, such as sanding dust from leaded paint, can be hazardous over time, however.

Several years ago, I worked for the National Shooting Sports Foundation & regularly wrote for its website. Along with weekly reporting on the western states, they also assigned me a few stand-alone articles. One had to do with a high school rifle team in a small AK town. They all wound up with lead poisoning from expended, fragmented lead bullets because the range was poorly ventilated. An upgrade to the ventilation system corrected the situation.

Last edited:
Anybody want to take a guess as to what the numero uno killer of eagles is?

It ain't lead.

I was going to say there are around a dozen or two eagle-killers at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon for all the Utahn's in the room that live in 'Happy Valley' if they didn't know the answer.

Oh yeah, Monticello has that eye pollution as well.

I was going to say there are around a dozen or two eagle-killers at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon for all the Utahn's in the room that live in 'Happy Valley' if they didn't know the answer.

Oh yeah, Monticello has that eye pollution as well.
Yes, Monticello has lots of Haz to share for everyone.

Yes!

It Was Coming To an End shortly after I Started!

You Ever Wonder Why There's No Feelings left in Our Fingers?

Bess ever do any lead oakum joints? I’ve done a few in my 20 years of plumbing. Never had a well ventilated area heating up lead.

That Pile of Radio-Active BS Is Still Not Cleaned Up!

Can You Believe The Government/State Let Them Dump That BS that Close to the River?

Guess at the Time It Didn't Matter!

We Needed The Bombs!

Wait - it is Moab and the Uranium.tailings. I've been away for a long time now.

They’re hauling the Moab tailings that haven’t already washed into Lake Powell (who’s water source? :oops:) up to Crescent Jct.

White Mesa still has an active uranium mill.

Not to mention hundreds of vicinity properties and “artisan mines”. Oh, and tailings makes excellent fill material because there ain’t no rocks. Doh!:eek:

But by God it’s beautiful around here.:)

First, I don't trust the "science" that 40% of Bald Eagles have lead poisoning, if it's anything like their climate science. They come to a conclusion first and then gather or tweak the data to give them the desired results to back up their conclusion. The average person can't argue. Turkey Vultures are big on feeding on gut piles and I don't see their numbers dropping.

But if you want to go along to get along, fine. I've adapted to it.

First, I don't trust the "science" that 40% of Bald Eagles have lead poisoning, if it's anything like their climate science. They come to a conclusion first and then gather or tweak the data to give them the desired results to back up their conclusion. The average person can't argue. Turkey Vultures are big on feeding on gut piles and I don't see their numbers dropping.

True- it would be hard to name one damn thing they don't tweak to attempt to get what they want. Covid #'s anyone ?

Not Gonna Argue That DM!

I don't miss it.

They used to make some REAL GOOD joint compound with asbestos.

Im fine using an inferior product now.

I ran race fuel, through my sand quad, it was plenty fast without the lead.

Yes, there are warning on which ducks we should eat. And yeah, mercury is the reason.

I wonder. Just how big a hole do you need?

Am I to believe that 300RUM isn't lethal with copper?

Really?

Lots of vultures have died and/or suffered lead poisoning. They probably haven't done an overall count of vultures to see how that affected the 'numbers,' however. ;)

Hey Hossy?

Answer The Question:

If They Were Really Worried About it!

And I'm Not Sayin We Shouldn't have been!

Don't You Think They Mighta Shoulda Worried about it Many,Many Decades ago?

In January in the WMA out here, we get a big population of bald eagles.

There's also ice everywhere.

I've watched these eagles one by one pick off crippled ducks and geese, drag them onto the ice and shred them.

Pretty cool how they figured out how to snag cripples.

So, yeah, I'd say those eagles ingest a hell of a lot more pellets on a yearly basis than I do.

I generally try to spit them back out, not sure eagles have that ability.

I don't think it's hard to imagine them ingesting a lot of lead. That's doesn't seem so far fetched.

Is it as deadly as a windmill? No.

But lead ain't real great for us either, and I'm not aware of a lot of windmill human deaths

Personally I just think it's hilarious that we pretend that a technology that was around 400 years ago(lead projectiles), was the peak of all projectile technology.

But then maybe you basin guys google this crap on your rotary phones?

No I'm Not Talking Eagles!

I'm Talking About LEAD!

When I Was in Alaska Fishing!

Our Guide Running the Boat Had To Cause a Big Scene Every F'N day When He Spotted a BALD F'N Eagle!

BFD!

I Didn't Go To Alaska To See Bald Eagles!

I've Seen Thousands of them Back Home!

I'm Asking Why Something wasn't Done 100 Years ago with LEAD?

All of a F'N Sudden You're Worried About LEAD?

Eagles dying?

Did you miss the ddt ban?

Hey Hossy?

Maybe You Can Clean Kennecott Up While You're at it!

Maybe Do An Arsenic Test on them Birds You'e Eating off the Great Salt Lake!

I'm Talking About LEAD!

Our Guide Running the Boat Had To Cause a Big Scene Every F'N day When He Spotted a BALD F'N Eagle!

BFD!

Was there polymer bullets and casings in 1922?

Lead poisoning has been known for centuries. Not a new phenomenon.

The changes are in what is considered a safe level.

I try not to shoot spoon bills so I don't eat much if them

So Hossy?

How Long Has Lead Been Falling in to Utah Lake & The Great Salt Lake?

You Sayin These Sewage Bottom Scavengers Ain't Scooping Lead Shot off the Bottom?

So Hossy?

All Them Millions of Pounds of Lead/ShotShells that have Landed in The Lakes Have Mysteriously Just Disappeared?

GEEZUS!

I Ain't Buying That!

Did You Ever Hear about The Clean-Up at Utah Lake they wanted to do?

They Wanna SKIM 3"-4" off the Bottom & Clean it Up!

Where's That Money gonna come From?

I doubt it anymore, been long enough.

So Hossy?

All Them Millions of Pounds of Lead/ShotShells that have Landed in The Lakes Have Mysteriously Just Disappeared?

GEEZUS!

I Ain't Buying That!

Did You Ever Hear about The Clean-Up at Utah Lake they wanted to do?

They Wanna SKIM 3"-4" off the Bottom & Clean it Up!

Where's That Money gonna come From?

There is a proposal.

The dredger is gonna get a bunch of land in return.

If that goes, Utah like get commercialized with island development I believe

Wonder if the mule deer on Kennecot property eat those trace metals? My Stepfather used to work there and he sent me pics of some great deer. mtmuley

Im not buying any ammo as I think it would be an affront to my 5 presses.

But, in middle of my rehab, I decided to reload. A lot.

Six days worth (all my brass was prepped beforehand) of reloading on one press--Dillon square deal-- and I gotta take a break.

I'm Talking About LEAD!

BFD!

Right,

This wasn't a problem a few years ago. And then, the "gutless method" became the craze and now you see a lot of dead birds of prey from lead poisoning.

BAN THE GUTLESS!!!
That must be a joke right? I mean gutless method or not, the guts are still there. LOL

That must be a joke right? I mean gutless method or not, the guts are still there. LOL

The gutless leaves most of all the carcass. Back in the day when you gutted, most all the animal was taken out.

Just trying to find something to crusade on is all. I may have found it with game calls though.

;) :cool:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom