Are They Renting Rooms?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I haven't gone that way in a long time but as i recall, once in Sundance Wy, another in Meeker Co, and yet again in Gunnison Co., our little group rented space in peoples houses while on our hunts. In Sundance, we had a whole furnished basement complete with full bathroom at our disposal for two of us.

The people in Meeker were really nice for our group of four. They charged a little extra for a nice home cooked Dinner every other night and had ready coffee and donuts each morning before we left.

We always got to our hunt destination at least several days before our hunt, would check out the bulletin posting areas, and have several places to pick from. The residents were always great, they pulled in extra money before Winter, and we saved a good deal over motel costs but still had a nice warm shower after a hard days hunt.

Do people still offer up space in their homes for rent? It wasn't a bad way to go!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

What, not a good topic?

Seems people not all set up for winter like camping but still want to go out of State and keep costs down...it's something to think about.

Back in the late 70 to early 80's when we did this, seemed to us like it was a fairly common practice that lots of town folk and hunters alike utilized.

I wonder if Sundance Wy is still the fun town for out of State Hunters that it was back then?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-15 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]Joey,
Have only done that once and it was because the rundown old Motel there in this tiny town in MT was the only one. My hunting buddy had found out about a rancher out west of town who rented out a cabin on his place and pretty cheap, so made the connection and got there in Nov 2001. Found the ranchers place and lo and behold, there was our cabin.....a 1800's Log Cabin right there in his yard.
Only paid $40 a night I think but had 2 sets of Bunk Beds, a Sofa and coffee table w/ an old Bear Skin Rug on the wall. The back room was the kitchen, shower and toilet.....how cozy is that. It did have a propane gas heater, so those COLD NOV nights were nice inside.

My buddy went back up there a couple of years later and now the cabin was not in use, the owner had built a new double wide and a full underground room, bath etc. He rented that out but don't remember what he said they paid.

This was in Lima, Montana and it is sooo cold there in NOV.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Hey Uncle sage!

I Think they have Rooms in Nevada!

Free Hot Showers!

Free Hot Coffee!

With No Obligation!:D

Check with NVB to make sure though!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

CastnShoot, yes, looks like a useful place. I really don't plan to rent space from someone to go on a outa State hunt because i am set up to comfortable camping and enjoy that but was more just asking if it's still a common practice like it was when i first started hitting the other State's Hunts. Thanks!!!

I remember one Colorado Muley trip i shared a motel rm with a buddy and it was cheap enough when we split the costs but the next year, we found a home that was renting out a mother-in-law addition to their house by the week. We saved pretty good staying with the homeowner and it was much nicer that that seedy motel.

ElKASS, yeah, seems i may have stayed a time or two, especially with that "Free Coffee". lol

Most years after the hunts were over, i'd figure in if i could, a break time of 1 or 2 nights in Elko while on my way home. I had family there and a place to stay. Back then though, i knew my way around the place pretty good and usually managed to make a great time of it. :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom