Are some LE deer hunts too easy?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Not trying to start an argument. Just curious if some of Utah’s hunt have become too easy. Antelope island is the biggest example; and has already been discussed in that way, but what about some other LE archery deer. Seems to be in some instances.

Places like the Henry’s, Paunsagut, and even San Juan. Hunters talk about driving around spotting a big buck and climbing out and making a successful stalk. Even after the deer knows they are there.

Dont get me wrong, I would gladly take any of those tags if drawn, but are we really hunting those units enough if they are as easy as I have heard some to be? Sure, everyone doesn’t want to lower the quality, but some seem as easy as hunting over bait. And that with the shortest range legal weapon we have.

Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe have just read threads which make them sound easier than they really are. But if some are that easy, wouldn’t make sense to increase archery tags a bit to get deer more afraid of hunters?

Again, I’m an outsider and don’t really know the dynamics like residents do, but just seems pretty easy if you can shoot a bow well. So if I’m wrong, school me

I used to think that the LE early rifle elk hunts were too easy, but my perspective has changed big time. For one thing, the nearly-statewide general season spike hunts have reduced the number of bulls on the landscape and put some general pressure on all the elk. The overlap of deer and elk hunts in many units puts more hunters on the landscape than you might think. I think the proliferation of guides, outfitters, friends and family of hunters with LE tags has increased. Everyone wants to name a big buck or bull and create their own YouTube safari. People are chasing these deer and elk all year round, even if the number of tags is relatively low. The pressure on most LE units is much higher than you might think, especially when outfitters and guides start using helicopters and other dubious techniques to be more successful and attract the high-dollar clients. Rest assured that the DWR is getting all the money they possibly can out of the big game herds, one way or another.

Everyone I know of that hunts those units, hunt hard and for a long time. I have known two archery hunters on the Henry's, that hunted every day and came home with a 160" deer. They had chances, but still tough to get it done. With the exception of Antelope island.

I’ve been on LE rifle elk hunts that did almost seem to be too easy. Shooting a rifle at rutting bulls with little pressure, tends to be a good time.

But on the opposite side, I’m currently hunting one of the top LE deer units with a friend. We are hunting really big deer, but noting about it has been easy.

Not trying to start an argument. Just curious if some of Utah’s hunt have become too easy. Antelope island is the biggest example; and has already been discussed in that way, but what about some other LE archery deer. Seems to be in some instances.

Places like the Henry’s, Paunsagut, and even San Juan. Hunters talk about driving around spotting a big buck and climbing out and making a successful stalk. Even after the deer knows they are there.

Dont get me wrong, I would gladly take any of those tags if drawn, but are we really hunting those units enough if they are as easy as I have heard some to be? Sure, everyone doesn’t want to lower the quality, but some seem as easy as hunting over bait. And that with the shortest range legal weapon we have.

Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe have just read threads which make them sound easier than they really are. But if some are that easy, wouldn’t make sense to increase archery tags a bit to get deer more afraid of hunters?

Again, I’m an outsider and don’t really know the dynamics like residents do, but just seems pretty easy if you can shoot a bow well. So if I’m wrong, school me
You’re wrong. Most guys end up getting their butts kicked and shoot decent bucks but not the top end age or genetic bucks. There are a few exceptions but overall it’s usually a lot tougher than most expect going into it .

You gotta remember too, most of what you see are the handful of the top bucks in each units posted, you’re not seeing all the smaller bucks taken that grossly outnumber the big bucks. My guess would be you’re not seeing the other 85-90% of bucks taken.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom