Are Mountain Goats good to eat

ToddT

I drew a Utah Mountain Goat tag and was curious as to the quality of the tablefare afterward. Ive heard lots about sheep being top-notch but not so much about goats - I guess not many hunters get the chance to taste. Thanks for any help or shared cooking techniques.

My limited experience with steaks from just a couple billies and one nanny leads me to say they are tasty, but tend to be tougher than deer or elk. My sheep was better than either mule deer or elk, but not as good as whitetail.

I think they taste very good. You just need to place the steaks between 2 2x6s and drive over it with your truck. They are a little on the tough side. We de-bone them on the mtn, as we lifesize cape them.

I had steaks from a 8 3/4" billy last season and the flavor was excellent with no gamey taste. It was tougher than h3!! I plan to bone and grind ALL of it this year.

I really enjoyed my goat from Colorado. It was tasty and I didn't really notice it been to tough or chewy...

I bone out on the mountain and get it off the bone so the gamey taste city folks talk about is really reduced...

Use a Dutch Oven or a Pressure Cooker for the roasts... the burger and breakfast sausage was great!

I never did BBQ any steaks... it was all gone after winter so no chance for spring/summer BBQ's...

I'm looking frwd to my Utah goat tag this year and maybe adding it to the Super Bowl party....eats...

Taste like chicken :) sorry I couldn't resist

horsepoop.gif

I dont know... but sure would like to find out one of these days.. maybe the wife will draw a tag while I wait for a sheep tag.

Nate

Hey PleaseDear, what unit did you get your goat in Colorado? I drew a tag this year, and I'm so psyched to get out there chasing goats around. I'm trying to find out info on hair length, if you have the time. When did you get yours, and how would you consider the hair length at that time? My tag runs from the beginning of Sept to the first week of Oct. I'd try to wait till the end of the season, but I was lucky enough to draw a ram tag too, and that overlaps with the last week of my goat tag. Lots to think about for how long to hold out during the goat season and what not. Any response would be appreciated. (it's also good to know your goat was tasty!)
Pointer

Goat isn't bad, it ain't great, but it isn't bad. If I get another one I'll pull the backstraps for frying and a few roasts to make into jerky. The rest I'd have processed into sausage or beer sticks. Like others said the flavor is good, but they are pretty tough.
Pointer, I'm not that familiar with CO, but up here a week or two isn't going to make that much of a diffence in hair length. If I were you I'd go for the goat the 3rd week of Sept then hunt the sheep in Oct. It goes without saying that you a lucky SOB.... : )

It was up Grizzly Gulch, on about the middle shelf of cliffs on Grizzly Peak in the 'old' G-7 boundary.

Hair was fine.....

The morning trafic into the Denver office for the measuring and formalities was a very special treat!!!

Whats your sheep unit?

Robb

TBinKodiak - Thanks for the info. Yup, I definitely know I'm a lucky SOB. I still can't believe I drew both tags - I spend many a night thinking about these hunts as I go to sleep.

PleaseDear - Thanks for the info as well. I drew the G-6 tag (Gore Range). I'm pretty familiar with the area, but still plan on putting in lots of miles this summer. So far I've been mostly scouting for my ram tag. Glad to hear the hair length on your goat was good. Harvesting a respectable goat is the # 1 priority, and hair length is kinda secondary. Just trying to weigh all the factors ahead of time, so if a shot presents itself I don't have any extra thinking to do.

Thanks for the responses guys,
David

Best part of wild sheep are ribs over a fire. Sprinkle your favorite seasoning and enjoy.

I could tell when I first put a knife through the loans of his goat that steaks would likely be tougher than leather so we decided to have the entire goat made into jerky, summer sausage, and pepperoni sticks. The jerky and sticks are great but the summer sausage was a little dry. Good luck to who ever draws a goat tag next year!

I'm hoping I get to find out about goats and sheep sometime in my life, when I do I'll let you know :)

I've put in where my neighbor/guide told me to enter, so i'm hoping to draw and go and get a moster goat! :7

Mine from 06 was excellent.I could cut the steaks with a fork

"Pain is fear leaving your body"

I have killed 2 billies in Washington. Both have been excellent.
The meat is fairly pale with a sweet taste to it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom