Are cops above the law?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It seems that the police can pull someone over at any time and give them a ticket. There isn't much you can do about it except fight it in court. Time consumming and expensive. If you argue, you might get tazed!

I see cops breaking the traffic laws all the time. No signal when turning or changing lanes. Speeding. Failure to stop at a stop sign. Is it legal for them, and illegal for the rest of us?

Can I be tazed for even bringing this up? I hope not!

Eel

Eel

No officers are not above the law but most do a great job and are law abiding. Just like poachers in hunting there is a few bad cops.
I asked RELH and he said you won't be tazed this time.

Ransom

PS I'm still sick.

My new favorite cop thing is them typing on their on board computer while driving down the road.

Eel, I don't think you have to worry about getting tased as long you stay outta the Basin and avoid I80 through SLC. I heard TUFF is looking to score his 1st "prunie" tasing.

Just kidding For Crying Out Loud.

RUS

WATCH IT eel!!!

THEY EVER SEE YOU ACTING LIKE YOU'RE LOST IN SLC IT COULD BE SERIOUS!!!

MIGHT EVEN WARRANT A TAZING!!!

I HAD A COP COME FLYING ASS AROUND ME ONCE!!!

LIGHTS FLASHING!!!

SIREN SCREAMING!!!

SO I DECIDED TO FOLLOW HIM TO SEE WHERE THE FIRE WAS!!!

CRUISIN AT 90 MPH!!!

MY KINDA DRIVIN!!!

THEN HE WHIPS INTO THIS CAFE!!!

I'M A THINKING WTF???

I LOOK DOWN TO SEE WHAT TIME IT WAS AND DAMNED IF IT WASN'T LUNCH TIME!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

RUS,

Your obsession with me has passed the point of flattery, and is bordering on creepy!! :)

Question for you thought...Why would I be looking for a tasing?? I dont have a taser. I dont know what Bessy told you I do for a living, but I dont think he really knows what I do for a living!

TUFF

Eel;

I would not taze you for asking that question. And your answer is "NO" a cop should not be above the law or held to answer to a lower standard then the average citizen. In fact it should be the other way, a good cop will try to hold himself to a higher standard due to the responsibilty he holds over the average citizen. I will be the first to admit that some bad ones slip though the cracks and have to be weeded out. I believe cops weed out more bad ones then any other profession. I have worked Internal affairs cases, and if I felt the evidence showed we had a bad cop, I did my best to get enought evidence so the department could get rid of him-her and their decision standing up in court if nessary. I was sued, along with several other officers, for 9 million dollars by a bad cop that we got rid of. At one time I was his patrol Sgt. and told him that I thought he was a bad cop and as soon as i got the proof I would take his badge from him. He transferred out of my watch very fast, but I took part in the later investigation that ended up having him arrested. He beat the criminal case in court but could not beat the case we had for dismissal from the Dept. He sued, Federal Judge threw the civil case out of court for no merit and made him pay the court costs.
The average citizen could not handle the stress or complexity of being a cop, of the few that apply, we have a good rate of washouts at the academy. One reason I believe a dept should never lower their standards, no matter how low their manpower is or how hard it is to recuit new officers. I also believe that most dept. will be better off hiring ex-military when possible because of their military training which better prepares them to handle high stress events and not panic react as the average citizen will have a tendency to do without proper training.
Most citizens could not handle making a decision in a split second, and I mean a split second, that will result in life or death for someone.
The vast majority of other cops I worked with were good cops, but every once and awhile a bad apple came along that we weeded out. But people must remember that a cop is a human being with human faults, he is going to make a mistake every now and then. Sometimes those mistakes are not big ones and hopefully he will learn from it and do better in the future. Sometimes they are big and can not be overlooked, and he goes down the road for his mistake.
What alot of guys here do not know is that most highway patrol officers have a higher percentage of complaints for being aggresive or over bearing. The main reason for this is alot of traffice stops involving a large cross section of the public, including many felons that the officer is unaware of when he made that "Normal traffic stop". The second part is that most of those officers are solo and backup may be 10 minutes away.
That officer knowns in the back of his head, if crap hits the fan, he better be able to take care of it by himself or he may die or get injured on that traffic stop. This is one of the main reasons that he may get pushy or aggressive when the citizen fails to obey him or starts acting a little strange.
Officers are trained to spot suspicious behavior, or the start of possible aggression by the persons body language that the average citizen would never detect. When he sees that behaviour, red flags go up and he will get aggressive for safety reasons. This has saved my bacon many times on lone night traffic stops while solo and I was dealing with one to four occupants in that car.
What really jerks my chain, is the loudmouth idiots and jerks that see, or think they see a incident where a cop makes a mistake, or the cop is out of line, then they will badmouth all cops as being Gestapo, Himmler cops and overload their mouth by speaking with the end that was made for defecating, not giving a opinion. Start yelling coverup without any facts or evidence. What happen to justice that they yell about wanting for themselfs when a cops arrests them. Maybe they should be given the same amount of justice that they give out and be convicted with hearsay evidence and opinions in court.
To me they are just as bad and worthless as any bad cop could be. Huck58 is a very good example of that breed, and I do not give a rat's @ss what he thinks of me or any other cop. I have accepted the fact his opinon is worth about what a pile of dog crap is after hearing his rantings and his ignorance of the law and how it is applied. That does not mean i am not willing to listen to and judge by it's merit some of the negative thoughts that Utah traffic stop generated, there has been some issues raised that do need looking at and investigated to determine right or wrong on the officer's part.
I will get off my soapbox, sorry about the long post.
RELH

HEY TUFF BUFF!!!

# 1-A MATTER OF FACT I DO KNOW WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING!!!

# 2-I'VE NEVER TOLD ANYBODY,NOT EVEN RUS!!!

# 3-YOU MIGHT THINK I'M A DUMB SOB???

# 4-THATS O.K. BUT I DON'T GO AROUND TELLING ANYBODY WHAT YOU DO!!!

# 5-THE WAY I HAVE TALKED ABOUT YOU HERE ON MM HAS LED MOST TO BELIEVE YOU'RE THE TUFFEST COP IN THE VALLEY!!!

# 6-I LIKE THE HELL OUT OF YA TUFF BUFF BUT DAMN DON'T GET NO IDEAS LIKE YOU'RE GETTING FROM RUS!!!

# 7-I LIKE MOST COPS,I'VE DEALT WITH A FEW "PRICKS",THIS DOESN'T MEAN I HATE COPS CUZZ I DON'T!!!

# 8-I THINK AFTER A FASHION OF DEALING WITH JOKERS DAY IN & DAY OUT THAT THE JOB MIGHT WEAR ON YOU!!!

# 9-DO I THINK COPS ARE ABOVE THE LAW??? THERES A FEW BAD APPLES IN ANY TRADE,THATS HOW I LOOK AT IT!!!

NOW BACK TO # 7:I WENT TO LAKE POWELL ONE YEAR & THEY HAD A MAJOR ROAD BLOCK SET UP JUST NORTH OF BULLFROG,THEY WERE STOPPING ABOUT 12 VEHICLES AT A TIME,ITS MY TURN,THE COP STICKS HIS HEAD WAY IN THE CAB & STARTS SNIFFING,THEN SHINES A LIGHT IN & DISCOVERS AN EMPTY 7MAG SHELL LAYING ON THE FLOOR BOARD,DRAWS HIS GUN IMMEDIATELY & ORDERS ME OUT OF MY TRUCK,HE HOLLARS FOR BACK-UP & THEY RAMSACK MY TRUCK,ASKS ME WHAT I'VE BEEN SHOOTING AT OUT THE WINDOW,HE SAYS I KNOW YOU'VE GOT A GUN IN THERE WE JUST GOT TO FIND IT,WELL I TOOK ALL GUNS OUT BEFORE I LEFT BECAUSE I KNOW ITS A STATE PARK,THEY TORE EVERYTHING OUT OF MY TRUCK BUT NO GUN,THAT EVEN PISSED HIM OFF WORSE,TRUCK WAS IDLING & WHEN THEY COULDN'T FIND THIS GUN THEY JUST KNEW I HAD HE NOTICED MY TRUCK WAS LOUDER THAN HE LIKED,CALLED ANOTHER COP OVER WITH A DECIBAL METER,STUCK IT IN MY EXHAUST PIPE & TOLD ME TO REV IT UP,I EVER SO GENTLY HIT THE THROTTLE,HE SAYS'S:YOU REVING IT UP??? I SAID YUP,I COULD'OF BROKE HIS EARDRUMS BUT I WAS NICE & DIDN'T,HIS ATTITUDE ONLY GOT WORSE WHEN HE COULDN'T FIND A REASON TO WRITE ME UP,HE WASTED AN HOUR & A HALF OF MY VACATION,IN MY EYES HE WAS A REAL """PRICK!!!"""

DO I HATE ALL COPS BECAUSE OF THIS ONE INCIDENT???

NO!!!

BUT IF I EVER SEE THIS JACK-ASS IN A STUCK HOLE HE'S STAYING STUCK!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

"RUS,
Your obsession with me has passed the point of flattery, and is bordering on creepy!!"

Don't worry TUFF, You seem to flatter yourself enough. I don't even care what you do for a living. LOL

RUS

What a bummer, no Tazer...

I think they've got an extra one out in the basin, sum feller just lost his tazin privileges :eek:

"The average citizen could not handle the stress or complexity of being a cop,"

LMAO!!!! That's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time!!!!! Did you have to special order a hat to fit that swollen head? It takes the same amount of education to work at McDonalds as to be a cop. Give me a break!

Keep it commin dude....your pretty entertaining.

RELH, thanks for the thoughtful reply! In my heart I know what you say is the truth, but it sure is good to hear someone of your background say it! I'm sure you were an asset to your Department and to your community!

Eel

We are VERY fortunate to have RELH
in this little organization.

I wouldn't take for him. Period. Paragraph.

Hey Bess, I bet it actually made them MAD, when they
couldn't come up with a rifle to match your spent 7mm
brass.

That's just me guessing, but I can see that like tomorrow.

lrv

Larry!!!

YA!!!

YOU MIGHT SAY HE WANTED REAL BAD TO RETRIEVE MY 7 MAG!!!

HE CHECKED EVERY NOOK & CRANNY!!!

WHICH WAS FINE BY ME!!!

BUT THE ATTITUDE THAT CAME WITH IT WASN'T VERY NICE!!!

HE HAD THE ATTITUDE OF:"YOU'RE GUILTY OF SOMETHING,I'VE JUST GOT TO FIND IT"!!!

I GUESS THEY THINK EVERYBODY GOING TO LAKE POWELL ARE LAW BREAKERS???

WELL ALOT OF THEM ARE!!!

THERES SOME THAT AIN'T!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Police Patrol Officer average national education requirement.

Job Description
Police Patrol Officer
Responsible for patrolling an assigned area to prevent and discover crime and to enforce regulations. Duties may include: conducting investigations, making arrests, and testifying in court; responding to calls and taking necessary action at the scene of crime or disturbance; completing reports/forms and routine paperwork. Usually requires a minimum of associate's degree in criminal justice and/or additional certifications and at least 12 to 18 months of law enforcement experience. Works under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant.

The median expected salary for a typical Police Patrol Officer in the United States is $46,596. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.

Ransom

Mosnar, you plick! I'm sicker than shat tonight. At 1st I thought it was my little granddaughter that was the carrier but now I'm convinced that some how you have spread the plague through the internet. THANKS! I'm going to bed.

RUS

RUS

Sorry man. I don't really think it can be spread Via the internet. Maybe insanity can. LOL. If so I'll catch it.
Get well soon. Monster has kept me busy most of the day with laughs.

Ransom

>I think I have some sort
>of virus protection on my
>computer, so I should be
>OK????
>
>Eel

Eel

Sorry but too late for you too. LOL

Ransom

Hey, if cops were like some "citizens" they hate everyone. Tell me the name of the cop that doesnt have a 1,000 stories of some jerk who did him or her wrong. Can or would the cop then assume everyones a jerk. I hope not.

There is no more honorable profession than police work or being in the military.

I'm personally glad that someone is out there protecting my right to voice my opinion on this forum.

if I was black I would be rich as many times as I been beat by cops.. I guess I should behave better....or at lease stop doing their wives!
rm

They do have a tough job, but i always thought it was innocent until proven guilty. The guys that got tazzed was not guilty of anything except not signing a ticket. Shock the hell out of bank robbers and crooked politicians and use the super tazzer (Electric Chair) on child abusers and murders but lay off the speeding taxpayers. I had a cop pass me in a no-passing zone without lights or sirens one night in Nephi canyon (Utah). He almost put me and my family in the ditch and he was fifteen miles from the town he had jurisdiction in. I called his office and complained and whoever answered said they would look into it. If it's an emergency, turn on the shiny things and the noise maker and I will get outa the way. But if your late for coffee then drive the way you expect us folks who pay your salary to drive. And if you keep tazzing us we will only issue you batterys for that thing as often as we feel like it.

I guess I would have to say that, last time I checked, you had to WANT to be a cop; knew the job had it's stress; knew the pay was so-so; learned in training how to become a better A......E, as required. Had to have some of it before you got to the academy though.

Pretty much have to say that overall, even though I have family members in the cop business.....I don't like them much.....they always want to be cops. They play too many games with their toys, submission tactics and attitudes about how much hollier than everyone they are........it's tiring. I cannot imagine the scenario that would inspire me to call a
cop for anything.

Spending 4 days in deer camp with my brother in law, the police LT., is like spending 4 days in jail. I get tired of him flashing his Beretta. Tired of his little tricks with my fingers, when I ain't lookin'. Tired of his "doin the funky chicken" stories. Tired of the cops he brings with him, who act just like he does.
I got them all last year though, I smuggled in a can of bear spray, douched all their pillows, jackets and riflescopes. Sat back and laughed while they tried to figure out which cop brought mace to deer camp. I told them all exactly why I would not be going this year.

They didn't miss it by much when they invented "#####" Tracy.

Any comparrison to people in the service is an insult to the military.

Harry said

"most people hate the cops till they need them"

BFE says

"Most people hate the cops till they taze them",

"then they hate them much more".

Your problem is with your family.
I have two brothers that are cops.
They leave that stuff at work and don't lay any of that Dikk Tracy crap on me.

I see these tazing incidents and always just shake my head.
How many of the "victims" were polite, compliant and rational to the officer?

Certainly you have the right to be an assshole, but as always in life, there are consequences.

HH

>
>Certainly you have the right to
>be an assshole, but as
>always in life, there are
>consequences.
>
>HH

Harry

Thats a great quote.

Ransom

Sorry Harry, that isn't the case. I have seen this crap most of my life. Several incidents as Bessy described, knock on wood, none of them involved me personnaly.

As for the "games",,,,,,that goes on outside my family also, I can assure you. I have been a fireman, in some capacity, for almost 40 years and I have seen this crap by both on and off duty police officers.

I never said that all were like that, but I have seen enough of them that are, to know it is not as isolated as most people would like to believe. Their need to assert their authority, anywhere and everywhere, is disturbing.

Before you bring it up, I will readily admit that firemen can show their asses with the best of any group......but firemen don't have tasers, choke holds, handcuffs or Glocks.

Not in New Mexico. I have three buddies who are cops.....none have any education past high school or military except for one who flunked out of college. I'm sure there are many good cops....i just haven't met them.

New Mexico requires a bachelors degree to be a game warden. In my opinion, the same should be required of all law enforcement officers.....and they should be paid more. That, to me, would weed out a lot more of the smart ass little punks. At least in my state, the standards are pretty low, especially a city cop. My secretary has more education than our city cops.

I know of a cop in N, Cali who beat a handcuffed druggy into a comma, turns out he's done it a few times before and now facing jail time, but now the county is gonna have to fork out a few $$$$$$ due to his actions.

a day late a dollar short!

Another cop bashing post, you guys are killing me. Its sad a vast majority of people are judged by a few. I'm a cop and in my opinion, an honest and fair person. I will be the first to say not all of the cops I know are the best in the business.....but does that make me a knucklehead too because I share the same profession as someone who acts like an A-Hole? Are we all judged as idiot hunters because of the poor display of a few? I think so.
Sad to say we are like this as a society. Like it or not, law enforcement plays a huge role in our communities and provides a service to all which should be appreciated. Education and every other thing in the post aside, being a cop is not the easiest profession in the world, but in my opinion is an honorable profession as any.
Ropin compared cops to Mcdonalds workers.....sad.
Another post said comparing police service to military service is a disgrace........sad.

Sure makes me feel appreciated for the service I render to the community each day. Pull your heads out, and lets talk hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-07 AT 10:02AM (MST)[p]

Nickman,
Yes, they know what they are getting themselves into.
They accept that.
When my youngest brother was fairly new on the job as a sheriff's deputy, when he answered a simple domestic violence call that ended up in a big shootout.
Fortunatley the perpetrator was shot dead.
I don't consider cops OR firefighters heros.
They perform a needed service and are paid adequatley for their service.
I have no qualm with cops being on heightened alert when they make a stop or answer a call.
I give them no reason to react aggressivley when I have an encounter with them
In my opinion however, you are way off base by making broad generalizations.
There needs to be some tough guys in law enforcement that aren't afraid to kick ass WHEN JUSTIFIED.
Where I live the firefighters will not even enter an active crime scene until it has been cleared by a sheriff's deputy or police officer.
policy I guess.

I see the ACLU types screaming bloody murder all the time about this type of thing.

There is just a certain mentality out there that has to push the limit.
Just can't get through an encounter with a cop without yelling "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!" and making the whole ordeal much bigger than it has to be.
Those people can have all of that they want.
I'll continue to be polite, and courteous.
If I broke the law, then I will pay the price.
Big problem these days with taking responsibility for ones own actions.

Quote "Their need to assert their authority, anywhere and everywhere, is disturbing."

I find that statement in itself disturbing.
Bad, arrogant cops?
YES,just like every single other profession out there, there are bad apples.
Your experiences have been bad, so you think the way you do.
Mine have been good, so I think the way I do.
Agree to disagree.
HH

That was directed to RELH. You sound like a pretty good guy. RELH sounds like he thinks cops are "superior" in some twisted way to the average citizen. Cops are average citizens who make mistakes and are not, or shouldn't be, above the law. Unfortuantely it seems to be a profession that cultivates an attitude of superiority. It's also unfortunate that authority seems to go to their heads.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-07 AT 02:18PM (MST)[p]Nickman;

You have your opinion, but I will bring something forward since you are a fireman of 40 years. Name the most common job occupation of people who commit arson nationwide. Thats right you guessed it. does that give us the right to call you and all fireman in general a bunch of damn arsonists. No it does not, most fireman are dedicated to their job.
Ropinfool, I do not work in your home state, in my state you better have a AA degree or college units towards that degree for most departments to even look at you, and if you wish to promote in the dept, you better have A BA as most depts. are requiring that now. Also are you aware that CA. WILL NOT ACCEPT credits from any other state's police academy, you come here, you will have to pass our academy. This is because CA. Peace Officers Standard of Training is aware of other states lower standards then we require. But most of those states will accept ours.
Instead of bellyaching on here, you should contact your state lawmakers and demand they up the standards for your state, or do you prefer to just bellyache like most morons. I'm glad to know that you know the job requirements for flipping burgers, did you get hired?

RELH

Thanks, but they are not worth the effort. Even morons are intitled to their opinions.

RELH

RELH, about 5 years ago I was up deer hunting and came across a small forest fire one morning. It was an obvious arson fire. It was about 2 acres in size when I found it. I didn't even have a shovel with me at the time. I took off for the main highway about 5 miles away and flagged down a logging truck with a CB radio. He called it in. The Ranger Station was only about 10 miles away so I stayed put so I could guide them into the fire. Soon the fire truck arrived and they followed me to the fire. It was only about 3 acres in size by then.

The fire investigator arrived and started asking me all kinds of questions, which was fine. I had nothing to hide. He was taking notes. After he finished, he started asking me the same questions all over again trying to trip me up! That kind of pissed me off. I told him I had nothing to do with starting the fire. He wanted to take my tire impressions, and saying all kinds of things to implicate me. Finally I told him he might have a lot better luck if he would check his off duty roster. He got so red faced I thought he was going to have a heart attack! Then I told him the interview was over and left.

I didn't tell him that I had spent two summers as a forest fire fighter for the State (CDF).

Eel

HEY eel!!!

THAT REMINDS ME OF THIS:::

IN 04 WHILE HUNTING A HUNTER IN THE BOOK CLIFFS!!!

WE WERE WALKING UP THROUGH SOME THICK PJ!!!

THIS SICK BULL ELK JUMPS UP OUT OF NOWHERE & WANTS A PIECE OF ME!!!

THE HUNTER WAS BEHIND ME WITH THE GUN,THANK GOD!!!

OTHERWISE THAT WOULD OF BEEN A DEAD BULL!!!

THIS WAS THE SORRIEST SICKEST ANIMAL I'VE EVER SEEN STILL ALIVE!!!

COULDN'T REALLY SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH HIM,BUT THIS WAS DEATH WITHIN A DAY OR TWO,SKINNY & FOAMING AT THE MOUTH!!!

I WANTED TO PUT HIM OUT OF HIS MISERY BUT WE OPTED TO DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

SO I MARKED A PATH ANY IDIOT COULD FIND!!!

AND STOPPED THE FIRST WARDEN I COULD FIND!!!

PULLS UP & TELLS HIM I FOUND A SICK BULL ELK!!!

HE JUMPS OUT & RUNS BACK TO MY BACK BUMPER & WRITES MY LICENSE PLATE # DOWN!!!

I'M THINKING WTF ALREADY???

THEN HE GOES RIGHT OVER TO MY LEFT REAR TIRE AND WRITES THE MODEL & TREAD DESIGN DOWN!!!

I'M THINKING JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST BY THIS TIME!!!

THEN HE SAYS,DID YOU SHOOT THE BULL???

I SAID NO,BUT I SHOULD HAVE!!!

THAT PISSED HIM OFF!!!

HE WAS SO FRICKEN WORRIED RATHER I HAD SHOT THE BULL OR NOT HE WASN'T EVEN THINKING!!!

GOD I WISH RUS WOULD'OF BEEN WITH ME THAT DAY!!!

HE WAS SO WORRIED I'D SHOT THE BULL IT WAS PATHETIC!!!

DO I LOOK LIKE A FRICKEN TOTAL IDIOT OR WTF???

SO I TRIED DOING THINGS THE RIGHT WAY JUST LIKE YOU eel!!!

WE BECAME THE SUSPECTS I GUESS???

THE NEXT TIME AN ANIMAL NEEDS PUT OUT OF ITS MISERY IT WILL HAPPEN LONG BEFORE THE WARDEN SHOWS UP!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

>I don't know if you look
>like an idiot, but you
>sure sound like one.

WTF is that all about??????

Bobcat, the next time I run across a forest fire I might just go the other way! I don't need the hassle and forest fires are usually a good thing!

Eel

HEY eel!!!

DON'T WORRY ABOUT Hooked_On_Dink_Dog_Deer!!!

YA I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!

"FOREST FIRES ARE USUALLY A GOOD THING"!!!

LMAO!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Eel you were smart not to mention your prior firefighting. Being from N.CA. you should be aware of the case a few years ago where they arrested a state fire marshall,he covered N.CA., for being a serial arsonist. He set fires to commercial buildings where ever he was at attending arson investigation schools. I worked with him on several investigations and he was also one of the top arson instructors for firefighters. You never know these days.
Bobcat, that warden should have just got your name and license number and thanked you for the infro. I would like to see laws passed where you can shoot a severly injured game animal and as long as you report it within 24-48 hours, and not remove the animal, it would be legal. I hate to see a animal die a slow death like that, and most of the hunters on this forum probably think the same way.
RELH

RELH!!!

YA!!!

I'M NOT BASHING LAW OFFICIALS BUT THIS WAS QUITE A DEAL!!!

OH WELL!!!

I'M SURE LAW OFFICIALS CAN TELL MORE STORIES ABOUT DEALING WITH JOKERS THAN WE CAN DEALING WITH OFFICIALS!!!

I DON'T MUCH CARE TO SEE AN ANIMAL SUFFERING EITHER!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Oh, so now that I mentioned that I was a fireman, you guys want to toss in stories about some other firemen simply trying to pick up a little overtime on the fireline. Geez......LOL.

I never said that cops were all bad and I never intended to sound like they had any higher percentage of a-holes than any other profession....I was responding to the title of the thread.
Start one about firemen, doctors, teachers, car salesmen or politicians, I'll be all over them too.

It is interesting to see the exact attitude that I refered to, about being a more righteous profession than anything else, floated on here.

How much money does a Veteran get after being wounded in the service? Care to compare that to the average cop out on disability retirement for back injuries from sitting in a squad car for 6 or 8 years? Yes, I do feel offended by that and, yes it probably has a lot to do with my attitude....I admit it, but I can't get past it. So I won't.

Bobcat;
If things like that happen and it is a rookie warden or cop, we refer to it as the "John Wayne snydrome".
When I first started, I got a old tought street cop as my first patrol captain. He sit me down and told me about the "John wayne Snydrome".
He told me that if I went out there and played John Wayne on every occassion that I needed to consider one very important fact.
I asked him what that was. He replied, the deputy sheriff badge you wear has seven very sharp points, it will hurt like hell to have that badge shoved up your a$$. I never forgot that lesson and even used it to impress on my patrol deputies the importance of not being overbearing when it was not needed.
Yea! I could tell you alot of tails, some would shock you, some would have you on the floor laughting your head off.

RELH

Wow Eel you really stuck a raw nerve on this post! hahahahaha

Because several of my closest childhood friends are high-ranking officers I have been privy to many stories over the last 20 years. Stories that I will not share here since there were shared confidentially. As well, I won't share them because:

A. RELH will get mad
B. RELH will get defensive
C. RELH will get offensive

I will say this, being an officer of the law is the most honorable and most thankless job of all. Police officers have to deal with every ill of our society, people blantantly lie to them daily, and they face the possibility of taking a bullet for simply wearing a badge.

As we all know not everyday is a good day, problems with the wife, kids, finances, etc. So why should it be any different for police officers? It may seem unfair when a cruiser is speeding or not obeying the traffic laws to the letter. However, given their role in society, and our blind knowledge to their current cirumstance behind the wheel, I say...let it go.

How was that RELH?

>Wow Eel you really stuck a
>raw nerve on this post!
>hahahahaha
>
>Because several of my closest childhood
>friends are high-ranking officers I
>have been privy to many
>stories over the last 20
>years. Stories that I will
>not share here since there
>were shared confidentially. As well,
>I won't share them because:
>
>
>A. RELH will get mad
>B. RELH will get defensive
>C. RELH will get offensive
>
>I will say this, being an
>officer of the law is
>the most honorable and most
>thankless job of all. Police
>officers have to deal with
>every ill of our society,
>people blantantly lie to them
>daily, and they face the
>possibility of taking a bullet
>for simply wearing a badge.
>
>
>As we all know not everyday
>is a good day, problems
>with the wife, kids, finances,
>etc. So why should it
>be any different for police
>officers? It may seem unfair
>when a cruiser is speeding
>or not obeying the traffic
>laws to the letter. However,
>given their role in society,
>and our blind knowledge to
>their current cirumstance behind the
>wheel, I say...let it go.
>
>
>How was that RELH?

Forthewall

I'll jump in quick and say someone else must have hijacked your password. This isn't really you is it?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-07 AT 03:10AM (MST)[p]Ransom;
That is just Fwall giving his best impression of being factitious and condescending. You have to remember he is a Hillary fan and has her attributes of honest speech. Just ignore it and consider it nothing but a flea bite on the old arse.

RELH

Well, since you opened you mouth first who is the bellyaching moron? Obviously, the standards need to be raised everywhere, including CA, because we still continue to have these types of incidents.

>As sure as any good southerner
>loves fried chicken with gravy
>and biscuits....it's me overton. Deal
>with it!

Yep we love our fried chicken, biscuits and gravy. Little secret, I love latkas. Great grannies family were Sephardic/ Saxon mix. They settled in the south too.

Ransom

*sigh* We have these incidents amongst thousands of other unseen 'incidents', you know, the ones that go well that no one hears or cares to notice.

The hundreds of times that guns are pointed and not fired, but could have been. The hundreds of times that Tasers are used without injury, and saved lives. The I-can't-count-that-high (probably due to my lack of any eddicashun beyond McDonalds) times that officers are hurt during a confrontation, but only the suspect's injuries gain any attention. The thousands of traffic stops every hour in this country that end with a ticket and not a fight.

It would be ludicrous for me to tell a panhandler that it's silly for him to stand all day in the freezing rain and then buy food for his dog before himself, because I've never walked in his shoes. Do his actions make sense? Not to me, but they do to him, and he'd find my comments offensive.

Just the same as my trying to explain to you what goes through my head on traffic stops when someone is acting unreasonable, what my gut feels like in a long dark hallway with a known armed suspect at the end, or the rush after saving a life does to you physically. Without a frame of reference, you cannot understand, and I shouldn't expect you to. You ask why, I try to tell you 'because this....' and you don't get it, not because you are stupid, but because you can't picture what I'm talking about. We aren't paranoid just to be paranoid, we've seen our friends die, often violently after ignoring the most subtle of danger signs.

What I do expect is an attempt to try to understand, not spew hate and vitriol, as I should not in return. We, as cops, don't think like you do. It comes from seeing the things we see and doing the things we have to do. We are human beings, we are not perfect and we screw up just like everyone else. We should be expected to obey the laws, just as we expect you to. Do you have to worry about being disciplined for a traffic ticket? We do, even off-duty. So before you throw stones, step back and try to put yourself, just one time, in my shoes. Make an attempt beyond blanket bashing and stereotyping for once.

God bless you all for believing in the good in man, for remaining not ignorant, but uneducated (and I don't mean that in a bad way at all) about what really happens in your community, it would make you as cynical as we are.

I don't blame you for basing your comments on your perception of what we are and do, or for your own experiences. I only ask that you practice what you preach to me and that you remind yourself, as I do, that the things you are seeing and feeling are only a small part of the whole and not representative of the majority.

Most cops don't do the job for the power. We do it for the honor of being the tip of sword on your behalf. I do it to pay back my community for the good upbringing it gave me. The dedication of most officers goes unnoticed, and unappreciated, and it's not the only profession. That would be were the defensive reaction comes in; put your life on the line every day while being constantly criticized and see how you feel.

Ever think about the 'little' guys and gals that deliver your paper, or your mail, or stock the grocery store? I do, every day. They make my life easier, and I thank them every chance I get. It's a wonderful feeling when someone says, hey thanks for what you do.

By the way, 2 of us died for you yesterday. That's 160 this year. You do the math. Did you even notice that? A YouTube video gets 3 million hits, a dead cop one headline, then it's forgotten.

I'll still go to work for you today!

Peace,

Pred

Aw! Come on now Predator that just ain?t fair. Cops aren't supposed to be that eloquent.

You are absolutely correct when you say you think differently. One of the reasons is because when you see the red & blues flashing behind you feel relief. Help is on the way! When the rest of us morons see red & blues flashing we know we're in deep sh!t. Being critical of the HP?s response to this kids actions shouldn't be taken as a condemnation of law enforcement in general.

I for one truly appreciate all you cops do for us. Having said that. My palms still start to sweat when I see those red & blues in my rear view mirror.

Stay Safe

RUS

See now, Ropin, that's what I'm talking about. We can agree to disagree, the skill is in doing it without the rhetoric and such.

I love a good debate, being able to listen and appreciate another's opinion, whether you agree or not, makes one less likely to get offended the next time, IMO.

RUS- Are you kidding? You think I don't get nervous??? I'M CARRYING A GUN, and a ticket is days off without pay!

LOL Which would be why my friends accuse me of driving like a grandma.

RUS

In the last 30 years I've only seen the red light once. A little too excited to get to Wyoming for opening day. The officer asked me how fast I thought I was going and I said well obviously too fast. He said I was doing 88 in snow and thats a big fine. Came back with 5 over the speed limit for not lying about it. Can honestly say I got off lucky and learned a lesson. Didn't get tazered either. The real funny thing was he was an exgame warden.

Ransom

I can dish it out, but I can also take it. I'm pretty hard to offend. The truth probably lies somewhere inbetween everybodies opinions, but i like a good debate too.

I'd buy you a doughnut anyday....lol...no offence.

Ropin, I'd appreciate it if you'd dispell that myth, we've come along way from doughnuts.

It's bagels and latte now, buddy.

See you at Starbucks. ROFL

Ransom,

Now that was funny.

Pred,

Nice post. I'm right there. I think the bottom line is half these guys will understand, the rest will never get it, although they might if they ever had to be in a fight for their lives or hunt an armed man in the dark.

Seems like there is either a strong resentment to authority or a lack of understanding of reality.

Why do the posts always say "Cops" or "Wardens" when the problem is usually "a Cop" or "a Warden". The generalization is grossly unfair to the folks that risk their ass for us everyday. That is what irks me about the issue.

And to the bonehead that said being a Cop is not an honorable profession: You may change your mind the minute you or your family needs one. I find it ironic that those same "Cops" swore an oath to protect and defend you and yours with their lives if necessary.

Nice reply, Pred.

Kind of interesting how polarizing this issue has became, I'd like to bring up that many have made this into a for or against stance of all or nothing, IE, you support what the officer did or you are not supportive of the difficulty inherent to his job.

I think many like me, are in neither camps, rather think this exemplifies a rogue loose cannon that used his authority to bully a young dumb kid.

If that makes me an outlaw for questioning that misuse of authority & you wish to paint me into a position of not supportive of law enforcement, then that is your prerogative, but it is misguided & partly the reason our government is based on the principle of checks & balances.

Hey Lisa I am glad to see you are still around! Correct me if I am wrong but I hear there is a little Predator these days, if so, congrats to you and yours.

Overton, my wife's family is from Tennesee I absolutely love her fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits or cornbread and plenty of gravy...hush puppies too!

RELH, There is just no winning with you is there? I was sincere in what I wrote, so why get all 51-50 and act like a Adam Henry?

I try to be cool Predator, but this guy RELH tries to paint me differently. All that matter is that for the last 8 years on MM, I have made it very clear that I respect and appreciate all those working in law enforcement.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-07 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]Forthewall

"Overton, my wife's family is from Tennesee I absolutely love her fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits or cornbread and plenty of gravy...hush puppies too!"
Now your talking! Makes me hungry just to read that.
Woops again! Wrong idenity.

Ransom

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-07 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Hey Beefy, and I am on the fence, believe it or not. While I have no problem with WHEN the Taser was deployed, I also have a problem with attitudes on both sides in this instance. The guy was absolutely argumentative and noncompliant, but he also asked questions that were easily answered. The cop is out nothing by answering the questions, and it just makes the guy look more the fool when his question is answered and he just keeps arguing.

I welcome questioning, when it is done reasonably and like I said, without the broad brush strokes that always seem to come with it. It's like whining about permit numbers without having an idea to fix the whine.

In our world, a big part of what we do is articulation (you might call it justification). If you cannot articulate WHY something made you do what you did, then good luck to you.

The problem comes in trying to explain the why to those that don't believe people hurt cops for the sake of hurting cops.

I recall a friend of mine who started having some PTSD. When they sent him to get some help, the counselor told him he was lying about the horrible things he'd seen and was now having trouble with; they honestly could not believe that people do that to each other.

Do you know what that did to him? He ate his gun within a year.

It's like coming home from work and your spouse says "how was your day" and you reply "oh great, I saw two people burn to death...they screamed until their face melt". I experienced that, and there was no way I could talk with my family about it, because not only did I not want them to know how bad we as a species are, but hell, what could they have said?

"I understand how you feel"?? NO WAY.

Really, what would you do if you actually asked a cop why he or she did something, and he responded with 'holy #####, that scared the hell out of me, and this is why'....would you listen?

HEY Beefy!!!

YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET A CITATION!!!

PROBABLY NOT YOUR FIRST THOUGH!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

I was going to work just this morning at about 5:00am. I was doing 45 in a 45mph zone. A City Patrolman (notice I didn't use "cop") went by me going at least 60mph, probably more. It happens at least once a week. It doesn't really bother me, except for the fact that he would pull me over in a heartbeat if I did it! That's my only beef, and why I made this post to begin with.

Eel

FTW, your recent post will haunt me for a long time!:):) And I quote:

"........ we would start with a couple of frosty peach or cherry Lambics while eating some smoked german browns filets with sharp cheddar cheese, homegrown tomatoes slices, a little red onion, and crackers.

I would probably breakout some Blacktail backstraps and toss them on the grill. I would stuff some red onion, pippen apples, and celery into some Wood Ducks and Mallards and bake'em at 500 degrees. All that meat would have to call for a good cabernet, I figure a half case of 89 Stag's Leap Private Reserve would go well.

Side dishes would include wild rice, tossed apricot spinach salad, blue cheese/garlic bread and shitake mushrooms. Dessert would be hot peach cobbler with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream with a shot of port......."

Dang, man! You must eat like a King!:):)

Eel

>Eel
>
>Do you think we can get
>an invite to FTW's home
>for a meal? I'll bring
>the crab and you the
>salmon.

Ransom, don't get me wrong. I love Dungeness crab and salmon both, but I think we better leave it home for a meal like that!

tossed apricot spinich salad.....is there really such a thing??? It actually sounds good! LOL!

Eel

>>Eel
>>
>>Do you think we can get
>>an invite to FTW's home
>>for a meal? I'll bring
>>the crab and you the
>>salmon.
>
>Ransom, don't get me wrong. I
>love Dungeness crab and salmon
>both, but I think we
>better leave it home for
>a meal like that!
>
>tossed apricot spinich salad.....is there really
>such a thing??? It actually
>sounds good! LOL!
>
>Eel

It's what the rich people eat. Now I know FTW is rich.

Ransom

Eel, if it is one of ours, it has a big ole number on the back. Write it down and call him in, cuz he's doing none of us a service.

And he's gonna be real sorry when the unthinkable happens and he shoves his car up someone else's arse.

I want to come to your house for eats.....gads, you've made me hongry.

Pred, you know what? I'm going to do just that! I may prevent an accident. You're right, as usual! Thanks!!!!

Then I'll take the long way to work for the next month or so!:)

I hope you are mending well and will be in top form for your diabetes charity ride next year! My dad is doing well with his diabetes. Thankful for that!

Eel

Investigators Say Trooper Who Tasered Driver During Utah Traffic Stop Acted 'Reasonably'
11-30-2007 6:03 PM
By BROCK VERGAKIS, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (Associated Press) -- A Utah trooper who used a Taser to subdue a stubborn motorist who was walking away from him during a traffic stop felt threatened and acted reasonably, state officials said Friday.

Trooper Jon Gardner remains on leave, primarily for his safety, after numerous anonymous threats were made against him, said Supt. Lance Davenport of the Utah Highway Patrol.

Gardner twice zapped Jared Massey with a Taser when the driver walked away and refused to sign a speeding ticket on Sept. 14. The incident was recorded on Gardner's dashboard camera. Massey filed a public-records request and posted the video on YouTube, which said it has been viewed more than 1 million times.

"We found that Trooper Gardner's actions were lawful and reasonable under the circumstances," Davenport said at a news conference, joined by Scott Duncan, commissioner of the UHP's parent agency, the Utah Department of Public Safety.

The investigation was conducted by officials in the Department of Public Safety, which oversees the highway patrol. The officials have asked the Utah attorney general's office to also review the case to determine if laws were broken.

Massey was not at the news conference and could not immediately be reached for comment.

The video showed Massey arguing about whether he was exceeding the speed limit on U.S. 40 in eastern Utah. Massey got out and walked to the rear of his vehicle. The trooper pulled out his Taser when the driver tried to return to his seat.

Massey shrieked, fell and said: "Officer, I really don't know what you're doing."

"Face down! Face down! Put your hands behind your back," Gardner said.

When Massey's wife emerged from the passenger side, the trooper ordered her to get back in _ "or you're going to jail, too." Moments later, when another officer arrived, one of them said, "Oh, he took a ride with the Taser."

Davenport said that comment was inappropriate.

Officials said Gardner could have issued the ticket without Massey's signature. The investigation found use of the Taser was justified because Massey had turned his back and put a hand near his pocket, Davenport said.

"For a law-enforcement officer, that is a very, very scary situation," he said.

Nonetheless, the trooper now realizes that other options were available, Davenport said.

The UHP has received thousands of phone calls and e-mails since the video was posted online, many of them critical of the trooper. There also have been online threats against Gardner.

"I think mostly it's people blowing off steam, and that's fine," Sgt. Jeff Nigbur, a UHP spokesman, said Friday before the investigation's conclusions were announced. "But you can't say you're going to endanger somebody's life."

He said there was no evidence that the trooper's life is in danger. Massey has pleaded for the online threats to stop.

Tasers use compressed nitrogen to fire two barbed darts that can penetrate clothing to deliver a 50,000-volt shock to immobilize people.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

HEY eel!!!

YOU EVER SEE MY COP CAR???

I ONLY USE IT WHEN I NEED TOO!!!

YOU'LL HAVE TO BE QUICK TO GET MY NUMBER!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

"911 operator, what is your emergency?"

"I'd like to report a speeding cop. His car number is.......4....something. No make that 5....oh hell never mind, he went by too fast!"

Click

Eel

Ropinfool,
I love guys like you. We protect the public and you talk crap. We are not above the law, in fact we are held to a higher standard than the rest of our population, and rightfully so. There are bad apples in our profession just like there is in any, and the larger the agency the larger the number of bad employees. But it runs about the same percentage based on total employees. Another post had stated they had worked for IA. I have also conducted internal affairs investigations and have done what I could to get rid of those that give us a bad name. As far as cops being non-educated idiots your mistaken, in fact why don't you take the test. Ever think of taking an honest look inside yourself. Could you do this job? Could you take the life of another human? It's real easy to say "no problem". Look a little harder! The truth is killing another human even in battle is one of the hardest things a normal person can do, it's even harder when it's another U.S. citizen, dirtball or not. Or how about the correctional officer that has to take the life of one inmate to protect another inmate? The inmate may be no threat at all to the officer, however the officer is sworn to protect and value human life and therfore must take whatever action necessary to protect the life of the victim, inmate or not. We, humans are not wired that way. You don't think the job is stressful? Step up to the plate and see if you have what it takes to do the job right. It's a no win job compared to most. You don't prevent a shooting and the media asks "where were the cops, the donut shop? Why didn't they prevent this?". I'll tell you why,it has nothing to do with donuts it has to do with numbers. You see the sheep are many and spread out,the wolves, though not as many as the sheep still out number us, the sheepdogs,oh and the wolves don't have to play by any rules. And when the sheepdog has to use force to stop the wolf, the media screams police brutality! Sounds like you fancy yourself a Cowboy. I've done both jobs. I haven't known to many cowboys that have taken their own lives. Wish I could say that about peace officers! We also have a higher suicide and divorice rate than most professions. That's a sad fact, not one we're proud of. We also have a high turn over rate, as people after walking the walk realize the job isn't for them. We don't look down on them, we appreciate their honesty and the fact that they made the right choice for them. I'm done.
Good hunting.
Norkalnimrod

Eel...ROFLMAO..wanna borrow my laser?

That's such crap, did they not learn from the Nevada trooper??

Not even worth it. Not even close.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom