Are 12x Binos too big?

N

NDBadlandsbucks

I'm sort of in the market for some new binos and am wondering how many (if any) folks use 12x binos for all or most of thier hunting. Are you able to keep them steady enough for good glassing by just a good seated position hand-holding and resting on your knees, or do they need to be used off of a tripod? Is the weight an issue? I like the idea of the extra magnification, but, is it really any more useful than a 10x? Just trying to get a feel for which models I shuld look at. I recently looked through the 10x42 EL's at cablea's for the first time - now I know why the price tag is what it is, but I can't justify spending that kind of cash for the hunting that I do. I'm hoping to stay below $500.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

If this is going to be your only pair I suggest that a 10x or even an 8x be your go to binocular. A 12x for an all purpose will be too strong and for hand held use not very comfortable.
Please feel free to contact me to discuss different options. There is a world of great glass under $500.00

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

I have a pair of Windriver 12x50's that I use as my backups that work really well or talk to Doug about Minox. I personally don't think the 12x are too powerful for everyday use.

I started off a few years ago using 10x...then upgraded to the same binos only 12x...then this year I went to a 15x....I do a lot of long distance glassing so I feel the extra power helps.
I think 10x or 12x are great for all around use though....just depends on the glass really.
YB

If they are your everyday bino's i would take doug's advice.Then go too a 15 power if you need more, skip the twelve all together.

I suggest 10 power. They are between 8x and 12x and are to me the best all around power magnification that there is. You can put the 10 power binos on a tripod and they are very deadly or you can carry them on your neck and effectively use them while glassing as a hand held unit. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom