Archery In Wyoming

K

Kwnicholson

Hello,

I'm new to Wyoming hunting. I live in Northern Ca, and am trying to find good places to go hunting. 1 problem I face is this, October is out of the question due to potato harvest. I really want to hunt Deer and Antelope in Wyoming. I couldn't find any good information on bow hunting in Wyoming. Are there units that have both deer and antelope? Another option would be Nov hunts. Thanks a lot guys.

Here is where you can find the Deer & Antelope regs:
http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/Regs/index.asp

Bow hunting regs are in the lower right corner on page 2 of the link above. It costs an extra $30 for non-residents. Archery is also covered on pages 10 & 11 of the regulation book:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/NonResident/index.asp

I hunt both deer and antelope. In the area I hunt, I can bow hunt both deer & antelope during the first two weeks of September (which I don't because I don't like to sit water and it's hard to get an antelope with a bow otherwise). Or, I can hunt antelope with a gun and bow hunt deer in the last two weeks of September (much easier for me and I have a good chance of getting both). Or, I can gun hunt for both Deer and Antelope in the first 2 weeks of October (super easy if you're not picky, but a good challenge if you are looking for trophy bucks). There are a lot of units where you can do both, just study the regs at the link above.
Good luck,
Bob

Wow, thank you so much Bob. A real god send. I guess what I'll do this year, is buy preference points then. And aim for hunting rifle antelope next year, and bow deer.

There are antelope pretty much everywhere in the state so focus on where you want to deer hunt and then find out about the antelope numbers within the region. Good luck!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Its true that there are antelope in many areas of the state, but for the most part the best muley hunting country doesn't have many antelope. There are exceptions, and there are a lot of areas that have both as well. Just do a bit of research and you can figure out where you can do both. Or, there are a lot of places where you can do hunt antelope, then drive an hour to hunt muleys.

IMO the country you're talking about that covers those two units for deer and antelope would be as good as any for a combo hunt and it would definitely be smart to buy a PP for both animals between 7/1 and 9/30. That will set you back $30 and $40 for the two.

>IMO the country you're talking about
>that covers those two units
>for deer and antelope would
>be as good as any
>for a combo hunt and
>it would definitely be smart
>to buy a PP for
>both animals between 7/1 and
>9/30. That will set
>you back $30 and $40
>for the two.

Sorry for the late response, work has been nuts. My question is, will the deer be there for my archery hunt?

As far as I know, I don't believe that unit is considered a migratory dependent hunt, if that's what you are asking. Tnhe deer there should be pretty much resident deer within a fairly small area that they would live and die in to the best of my knowledge.

For info in the future...I killed a really Buck Deer and nice Buck Antelope within 5 miles of each other in "03"...Unit 135&93..

Don't get hung up on having to hunt the same unit. You can bow hunt deer and antelope in many units from late Aug. into early Sept. Rifle hunt deer in Sept/Oct. then travel 100 miles or so and kill your rifle antelope. If you want a DIY combo hunt, pick a Region deer tag and hunt deer in the high country then pick an antelope zone nearby and spend a couple days hunting antelope.

This would be my ideal hunt. I was thinking Region D and unit 69 I believe? Figured I would give that a shot next year maybe. Is there high enough country over there?

Don't know much about D. I usually stick to the west side of the state for deer and antelope. The bonus points will help next year. 1 pt. will probably get you a special G or H deer tag, and a special antelope tag somewhere south of there.

Those areas are wilderness correct? As a non-resident, how much are guides? $3-5,000 is my guess. But I'm also guessing, that there are some fairly big deer south of Yellowstone.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-11 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]G doesn't have any wilderness areas, while H has a decent amount in the northern part and one area along the eastern side. There is plenty of public land for DIY hunting in both regions for the nonresident who wants to go that route.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom