Archery Elk Unit 38 or 7?

Zim

Very Active Member
I've been waiting for years and read all the past threads and have it whittled down to 2 units for archery elk, but can't decide. Is the pressure that bad in 7? I like solitude and sometimes backpack hunt, but would like to make a base camp for this hunt. I'm getting a little older. Anyway just wondering how these two units compare. HF still puts 7 up on their list #2, while 38 never appears. I have max points. It would be nice to pick a unit I could both bow and rifle hunt, but I enjoy archery more and have had success with that. Thanks.

They have killed some damn nice bulls in 38 during the archery. I wouldn't recommend 7 just cause of the access issues. 38 has a lot of country in it and you can get away from the crowds. If you were doing rifle I would look at different areas.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

I am in the same situation as you zim. I have narrowed it down to these two units for archery also. I work with guys who have rifled hunted both units and have shot respectable bulls in both units. From what I understand unit 7 can have access problems. My plan is to wait until next year, so that I can drive out this year and do some scouting and mule deer hunting in the big horns. I am personaly leaning towards unit 38 because I am hoping to draw a moose tag soon, and I want to hunt moose unit 1. Thereflore I can combine my scouting for moose during my mule deer and elk hunts. With that explained, the bulls my co-workers shot in unit 7 where big enough to make me still consider unit 7. Keep us posted, and goodluck!

Unit 38 without a doubt!!! I see moose along Hwy. 16 in unit 34 just about every time I go through there.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 07:00?PM (MST)

>I am in the same situation
>as you zim. I have
>narrowed it down to these
>two units for archery also.
>I work with guys who
>have rifled hunted both units
>and have shot respectable bulls
>in both units. From what
>I understand unit 7 can
>have access problems. My
>plan is to wait until
>next year, so that I
>can drive out this year
>and do some scouting and
>mule deer hunting in the
>big horns. I am
> personaly leaning towards unit
>38 because I am hoping
>to draw a moose tag
>soon, and I want to
>hunt moose unit 1. Thereflore
>I can combine my scouting
>for moose during my mule
>deer and elk hunts. With
>that explained, the bulls my
>co-workers shot in unit 7
>where big enough to make
>me still consider unit 7.
>Keep us posted, and goodluck!
>

Ya I am slightly leaning towards 38 thinking I will have a better overall experience. I already have a 320, 340 & 350 on the wall, and don't need to top them to be happy. Just want a quality hunt worth the points. I have not enjoyed hunts in the past where I had to worry about other hunters or private land.

There are a lot of better bulls there than you have on the wall, but it is hunting and the experience is what is to be enjoyed and whatever you get is just icing on the cake! I'm sure if you go in September during the rut that you will be into some good animals.

Hey Ken,

#1 Avoid HF recomends as there is tons of private in #7 and it might just be #2 on HF list for the send our way Outfitter commi$$ion! to get on all the private ground. ha

38 would be sweet from everything I have read and from guys that have hunted/harvested in the past few years.

Robb

Ya that is exactly what I was thinking about HF's recommendation. They have a lot more to gain financially by sending their clientel to 7.

Depending on how hard you want to work for a bull is all in the question. People think its gonna be easy to hunt 38...but trust me you need to be able to get around and be in fairly good shape. It does have some good bulls but dont come out expecting a 375+.
Tyler

I am mountain fit year round. In previous hunts nobody would go where I went. Don't think that is a problem.

"It would be nice to pick a unit I could both bow and rifle hunt, but I enjoy archery more and have had success with that. Thanks."

Zim
I'm not an expert on Wyoming but I dont think you would have the option to archery hunt in unit 38 with a type 1 tag. If you really want the option of going back later with a rifle you may want to consider unit 7.

>"It would be nice to pick
>a unit I could both
>I'm not an expert on Wyoming
>but I dont think you
>would have the option to
>archery hunt in unit 38
>with a type 1 tag.
> If you really want
>the option of going back
>later with a rifle you
>may want to consider unit
>7.

No, I know that. I enjoy archery much more anyway and if it's a good area I'm not worried about scoring with my bow. I decided to go with 38 type 9.

zim, i really like the country in area 7. i drew the tag a few years ago and had a great hunt, took a unique antlered young bull and a decent little 4 point buck in the same big basin. There can be some pressure- however unit 7 is the either the largest elk area in the state.. or 2nd largest.. anyway its huge, lots of private land- and quite a bit of public land also. excellent elk herds in the area, it can get really hot in the area especially in sept, there is alot of water and you should get into a tons of elk. fortunately there are no wolves or grizz in the area, and usually pretty mild winters- those ole yellowstone transplants have it good in area 7. side note- watch your ass for giant rattle snakes in the area..seriously

A friend of mine just pointed out his buddies who hunted 38 ran into a lot of other bowhunters there due to it being archery only. He is suggesting I go with 7 if I want to bowhunt, because most of the hunters who draw it do so for the rifle season. Thus we'd run into fewer bowhunters. He emntioned that is why the hunt is so good. Any opinions of this, because we mostly just plan on just archery hunting?

There will be alot of archery hunters in 38. i mean its your chance to use your pp's. Im not trying to persuade you either way i just dont want you to screw up...that being said there is alot of area just alot of people...even alot of deer hunters in there at the same time... goodluck in what choice you make either way.
tyler

There will be a bunch of archery hunters in area 7 as well... Archery pressure has increased 5 fold in 10 years... Public areas, even the hard to access areas like Black Mt. and Laramie Peak HMA have bunches of hunters... Everybody that has a type 1 and can carry a crossbow seems to be hunting archery season these days. Try for some private access if you can. WAY too many tags for the amount of public land... 5000 tags this year (bull, cow and calf) and there will be a rifle cow season in parts of the area this year during Aug. and Sept.

The rifle cow season has always been there, no one ever speaks about becuase its a cow hunt. I have had some buddies draw that early cow season. Zim no matter how you stack it your going to have to hunt hard. Don't worry about the area 7 early cow hunt hardly anyone goes for it anyways. Private is your best choice to kill a great bull in 7. Thats how I did it. I was a resident at the time. Those elk in that unit bugle year round. But when the rut gets going you will know for sure. They rut hard in that unit. There are some public areas that have good chances of killing big bulls but you have to be the first one in or pray to God no one went in yet. Good luck with your choice. oh I bow hunted that area and I would do it 100 more times if I could, its really fun for archery, sucks for rifle.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom