Archery Bighorn Ewe tips/tactic help

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
I'll be chasing Bighorn Ewes with a bow this fall. I'm looking for any tips/tactics you guys might offer. Thanks!

That sounds like a blast!
Good luck.

Oh, here's the only tip I'm qualified to give: stalk close and shoot straight! ha

Where will you be hunting?

Zeke

Hey LBH! Why the jab? That was great advice! LOL

It sounds like a blast and the like LBH posted shows a great example of a wonderful adventure.

Zeke

Well that thread made it look really easy to get close. I can't imagine it's always that easy. Anyone else have something to add?

They bunch up alot....I tried to get mine with a bow but with the wind and rams in the herd I didn't want to risk hitting the wrong sex or making a bad shot.

I have easily gotten within 20 yards of a solo ram and 60 yards from the herd I shot my ewe from. Making the shot is where it gets hard.

How were you planning your stalks on the herds? Try to get above them? Stalk slowly in plain sight and try to not be threatening?

>They bunch up alot....I tried to
>get mine with a bow
>but with the wind and
>rams in the herd I
>didn't want to risk hitting
>the wrong sex or making
>a bad shot.
>
>I have easily gotten within 20
>yards of a solo ram
>and 60 yards from the
>herd I shot my ewe
>from. Making the shot is
>where it gets hard.

>How were you planning your stalks
>on the herds? Try
>to get above them?
>Stalk slowly in plain sight
>and try to not be
>threatening?
>
>>They bunch up alot....I tried to
>>get mine with a bow
>>but with the wind and
>>rams in the herd I
>>didn't want to risk hitting
>>the wrong sex or making
>>a bad shot.
>>
>>I have easily gotten within 20
>>yards of a solo ram
>>and 60 yards from the
>>herd I shot my ewe
>>from. Making the shot is
>>where it gets hard.

Sneak in from the bottom, they absolutely hate anything above them. Once I would get busted, they wouldn't freak out right away as long as they had the high ground and kept me in sight. If I ever found myself above a sheep, it would be gone quicker than cockroaches when the lights come on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom