Anyone with moose hunting exp?

S

SHANEWA300

I drew a tag in WA for moose, looking for tips and advice on hunting moose in November.Lots of info on rut hunting them,plus I have lots of exp being in the woods around moose at that time anyways, Nov I dont, no info on the web about late season tactics, just looking for pointers. Thanks

Its been quite a few years now, but I took a moose in eastern WA late in the season. For a while it was #2 in the state book, but has been surpassed many times since. Where did you draw?

Bill

Up here in BC, Nov is one of the hardest months to hunt them. After the rut in early Oct, the bulls typically hit the thickest timber they can find in mid to high elevations and rest up until the snow gets balls deep. If you get some early snow, trackin is definately doable. Don't make any calls though as they don't want to be part of that anymore and typically bail at the sound of a bull grunt or cow call. In my opinion, if you have the entire month of Nov, hunt near the end and pray for lots of snow. Focus on aspen pockets, as that is what they eat in the winter. If you can glass an adjacent aspen slope with snow, that snow will allow ya to see into the trees and pick the moose out. Spot and stalk then is a good option. Typically they don't move down into the winter range until Dec so focus on mid elevation ground. If the snow hits hard, you might want to try still hunting with snowshoes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom