Anyone shoot an ackley?

muzz

Long Time Member
Thinkin of building a 260ai. Anyone shoot one? I have a 280 rem and it handles everything perfect but looking for a new toy and another deer gun.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I have a 6.5-280ai and it feeds perfect and shoots great. Its on a Win model 70 push feed

My buddy. (woodtick) Here on MM has two of them. He Has several good loads for them and he's killed a ton of animals with them. Ya might want to shoot him a message.

I have a 270 AI...nothing really gained, but I could be talked into doing a 260 AI as I imagine it would benefit more from a slight increase in case capacity.

Fire forming is a pain in the @$$. and I still have boxes of loaded ammo that I just can't seem to make time to go shoot up.

I shoot an old 257rAI and it's kinda cool.
My next "deer" caliber will be a 280AI.... like I really need another toy??????
Zeke

My friend in Wyoming builds his own guns,and his favorites are a 300 Edge,and a 6MM. Ackley Improved.He has Huskema Blue Diamonds on both of them.I witnessed him last December shoot a cow Elk at 950 yds. with a 117 grain Matchking, two shots two hits in the lungs about 8-inches apart! The conditions were near perfect,and normally he would not have taken the shot,but he does alot of shooting through out the year,and was confident he could make the shot,according to his calculatons, he still had 1100 lbs. of energy left at that range with that bullett!

I have a .280AI and took 5-6 bucks with it before it got to be heavier than i wanted to lug around and started hunting a lighter 270WSM. I went with a 25" #4 barrel on the AI, much more steel than needed. She's a shooter but now she sets in the safe most of the time.

Ballistic improvement was substantial over the parent 280 Rem. cartridge of which my rifle shoots both it and the 280AI version healthy under 1" @ 100yds. My 140 gr handload groups are generally touching each other tight and about 3250 FPS. That's getting into "magnum" territory.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have a .257 AI. in a Win. 70 Featherweight. Shoots great. Kills deer and lopes dead usually quicker than my 7mm Rem Mag. That said I really don't see the need for all the extra expense and work to load for it, (fire forming, 2 sets dies, etc). If you are into that stuff go for it. If you need a rifle there are other calibers just as good and easier to load for ie. .257 Roberts, 25-06.

Phantom hit the nail on the head. There are factory cartridges that will do everything a guy ever needs one to do BUT some of us like to play with guns, lead development and such, WAY too much to ever be satisfied with vanilla!
Vanilla is good but........
What else ya gonna do when you can't hunt big game?
Zeke

I agree that factory guns are and will do the same, I just want something different and fun. Also thought about the 264win mag. That's a canyon hopper right there.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

A .338/06 ackley improved
Its not a .338 Win Mag but its close
If you want one I suggest finding a gunsmith with plenty of experience doing it.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-13 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]>I agree that factory guns are
>and will do the same,
>I just want something different
>and fun. Also thought about
>the 264win mag. That's
>a canyon hopper right there.
>
>
>O--one
>B--big
>A--ass
>M--mistake
>A--america
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Muzz- I say a 6.5-06AI to be different. Set it up using the Nosler 280AI brass and dont worry about fireforming loads. Just neck down and have fun!

Thought about the 6.5-06 also. That one sounds fun to. I guess I need to find an action and whatever I find go from there.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom