anyone seeing what im seein?

theox

Very Active Member
so with all this rain here in so. utah i have been seeing tons of mushrooms where i never do. around 6-7000 feet. was wondering if anyone else has noticed? anyway was wondering if anyone knows which are edible and poisonous? and what the shroom prices are? not talkin about the psychedelic ones haha

I noticed lots of mushrooms in the mountains last weekend as well. Some very large. My parents used to pick them and cook the mushrooms for dinner, but I never learned enough about it to feel comfortable eating what I picked. Most areas have some sort of "mushroom club" that goes on picking expeditions.
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]ive never liked mushrooms. but would not mind pluckin a few if they are valuable. ive never seen so many. ive been on the pine valley unit. they are growin in pinyon juniper stan ds and oakbrush country. i was alos curious as to which are poisonus. im scared to even touch them cause i know nothin about them. although i have seen some of the giant puffball ones( i looked them up) at least im sure it was those. they are roughly 2-3 inches across ( most are that i am seein) are they worht pickin and sellin or do they have to be big to sell? or will no one buy them?

How many you ilegally killed with your Quad?

2574cummins.jpg

What kind of mushrooms, are they morals? Those are my favorite and I haven't had any in years. Used to pick them in Michigan every spring. Mushroom hunting was a blast.

GBA

Though several friends might be credited as experts, i'm more the eager amateur mushroom getter. Yes, Morels and a couple others in the spring to late summer are great but this time of year has me looking along roadsides as i'm getting into the country that i like to hunt and fish. Shaggy Mane mushrooms can push right up in some surprisingly hard packed areas. I've seen and picked them on lawns but mostly, as i said, alongside roads headed up to the higher elevations. Commonly, they grow in clumps or tight groups, when ideal they are fresh, whitish, and have a bulb like cap that hangs down and attaches or almost attaches to the stem, can be only a couple inches tall but generally 4-6" or longer. As they mature, they turn to a Inky mess and should be avoided.

Here is a couple as they're found
79172_shaggies.jpg

If found in groups like this, fill a box or bag up in no time
6045shaggy_mayn.jpg

Not as good as the Morel in my opinion and not a big seller as the don't store near as nicely but they are very good if eaten the night found or shortly after. I like a Venison Shoulder Roast completely smothered in shaggies, fresh garlic, and cooked in a bit of red wine! De-Lish!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

elkass.... ! obeleive it or not i have not touched a 4 wheelr during the hunt lmao. like i said before i dont hunt off them and not scared to hike. ill hike with ya anyday! pm me...but good try on the stupid accusations RICHARD!

now for the people with at least half a brain or better. thanks swbuckmaster for the link that helps, and everyone else with a intelligent response thanks for the input.

The only place i've ever found shaggy manes growing is on the side of gravel roads. There a pretty good mushroom to eat but you better eat them fast because they dont last long. I don't know if chantrels(spelling) grow in utah but where i live there starting to show up in good numbers now.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

>so with all this rain here
>in so. utah i have
>been seeing tons of mushrooms
>where i never do. around
>6-7000 feet. was wondering if
>anyone else has noticed? anyway
>was wondering if anyone knows
>which are edible and poisonous?
>and what the shroom prices
>are? not talkin about the
>psychedelic ones haha

Yup...seeing them everywhere and some really interesting ones too. Like the red ones with white polkadots. They almost glow at night under the moon too! And no, I haven't eaten any to make em glow:)

>>so with all this rain here
>>in so. utah i have
>>been seeing tons of mushrooms
>>where i never do. around
>>6-7000 feet. was wondering if
>>anyone else has noticed? anyway
>>was wondering if anyone knows
>>which are edible and poisonous?
>>and what the shroom prices
>>are? not talkin about the
>>psychedelic ones haha
>