Anyone running a Remington .300 Ultra Mag.

N

nocalhonker

Anyone running a Remington .300 Ultra Mag.

I just won a Winchester m70 .300WSM but had to trade it for a Remington CDL .300 RUM because I shoot left handed and couldn't get the 300WSM in a lefty. This gun will be for out of state maybe just elk as I have a Remington BDL 7mm. which I really like!! I use in in Ca. right now. Give me the good bad and ugly. Oh yea I hear it kicks and shells aren't cheap!! Nocalhonker

RE: Anyone running a Remington .300 Ultra Mag.

I have been shooting a 300RUM for about the last 11 years. Have no complaints at all. You have been informed correctly. It kicks hard and shells are expensive. But its worth it. I have a rem model 700 30-06 and a 7mm as well and the 300RUM is the most accurate and consistant of the three. I starting with 180 gr partitions, then switched to 180 gr Sciroccos about 5 years ago. I am looking at going to 200 gr. Accubonds. I use mine for all big game. It is the only gun I shoot. In the 11 years I have been using it I have taken 3 antelope, 6 Mule deer, 1 whitetail, 5 elk, 3 black bears, 1 shiras moose. Wyoming is an awesome state. I am headed to Alaska this fall for moose and griz. That's the reason for looking into the 200 gr. bullet. It is a lot of gun for antelope and whitetails but I like to have one gun that I can use for everything. Good luck with your new gun and good huntin to you.

Nocalhonker, I shoot the exact same gun you just got, I love it. The first thing I did before I even shot it was put a muzzle brake on it. I load all my bullets so it saves a little cash. In the two years i've had it, I have killed two buffalo, one deer. My brother used it on his big bull hunt this year, it took one shot at 526 yards. For the buffalo I used 200 grain partitions, for the elk and deer I used 180 grain Silver tips. I am waiting for some 208 grain a-max bullets from hornady, the should be awesome. Over all this gun is awesome, my 270wsm has been sitting since I got it.

I am going to hold of the muzzle brake. I've heard it makes it really loud. But I'm going to buy a really good recoil pad. Thanks guys for the info, Epointer what load do you run!!! Nocalhonker

I had a guy build me a Ultra Mag about a year ago. I shoot the accubonds as well. The guy that built it claims they are the best bullet for the money. I load my own bullets because they are very expensive. I have only been able to hunt with it one time so far, but it was the perfect gone for my LE wasatch elk hunt this last year. Mine has a muzzle break and does not kick any more than my 270, but yes it is very very loud. I would be excited, it is a very good gun.

I bought a 300 RUm several years ago and it sat in the box until I drew a good limited entry elk unit two years ago. I had a break put on it when I first bought it also.

It may be loud, bit not bad for the shooter, just watch the person next to you!!! Mine is in the Sendero, which is heavier, but my 100 lb 13 year old shot it last year when we were hunting antelope in Wyoming and loved it. He shot numerous round without any complaint. Just a huge smile on his face. Oh and yes he did get his antelope.

Enjoy and have fun. It is a great gun. PS. I bought several boxes of factory and plan to shot the factory up and reload as I do for every other rifle I own, because it is expensive. but worth it.

I got one as well. Remington 700 LSS.
I reload for it.

I shoot and have my scoped dialed in for 180 accubonds. they are OK on game..

Previosuly I shot Trophy bonded Bear Claws. hands down the best performance on game. No question.

Others I shot were Scricco (sp), A-frame's, Partitions, Hornaday Inter bonds, Grand Slams and a few others I guess.

My gun seems to like the high end of the loads. I do not start out at the book min when working up a load. I start a two grains below max and go up to max.

I shoot IMR 7828, H-1000, Relaoder 25

Fed 215 mag primers.

Your CDL should come with a pretty nice recoil pad.

It will stack up the meat no problem.....
Those CDL's are a nice gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom