Anyone live near Boise, ID?

A

a3dhunter

The wife and I are considering possible relocation to the area from the Texas Panhandle.

Would like to hear from locals about the good and the bad, feel free to post pics as well.

It's crowded....that's relative but it's crowded and has very bad "air inversions" in the winter.

Good? One of the best places in the country if you like to hunt or fish. Both of those activities are MUCH more accessible (state is 77% public) than in Texas. It is also MUCH more physically difficult...MUCH more. We have many fewer deer and, if we "ironed" a county flat, Texas would be smaller than the county....not being funny.

The Cowboys aren't here.

You get to shoot wolves.

Politically, we're more conservative than Texas (or any place).........what else can we say?

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I'm glad to hear that there are other conservative states left in this country. Oh and don't worry, we will let you root for the Cowboys even if your a yankee.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-11 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]Never lived there but been there very various reasons from vacations to business.

My assessment:

A new city, most buildings are fewer than 40 years old, so it looks new, shiny and fresh.

Very nice river runs through town giving it a peaceful look and feel.

Only takes 30 minutes to cross from one side to the other.

Good roads, some "one way" roads, which I like but some folks don't.

Healthy large company have home offices there, or did, Hewlett Packard, Albertson's, Simplot, Micron. and others.

Surrounded by irrigated farming.

Very good quality schools and colleges.

Very good restaurants associated with the business community and the colleges.

Very good fishing to the north. Big game has been better, before wolf introduction, not so great in some places, better in others.

World class snow skiing at Sun Valley along with pricey rates, with in 2 hours or less.

Boise it's self is not spectacular from a scenic view perspective but there are spectacular mountains with in an hours drive.

Your not more than six hours to the Pacific coast of Oregon, as I recall, so you have reasonable access to the Columbia River and ocean fishing etc.

All 4 seasons, mild some years, nasty some years.

If I had to live in a Western city, Boise would be dan hard to turn down.

I'm sure there are some draw backs, depending on what you like for weather, politics, salaries, etc.

Good luck in your quest, above all, under current conditions, "never leave a paying job unless you're sure of a new one". IMO. Also, it's a long way back to Texas, so make sure your committed to the new location first. Course, if your single and adventurous, what would keep you from giving it a try, or any other of 100 great places?

DC

2Lumpy, that is a pretty descent analysis, for not living here.
Hope you aren't in construction, because it hasn't come back yet. You can get a good deal on houses right now, though.
World Class rivers for fly fishing and rafting within 45 minutes. What you might consider mountains are within 30 minutes. Someone from Utah or CO would say they are 2 hrs away. Lots of public land, which gets hunted hard. If you want to get away from the crowds you are looking at 3-4 hrs drive. I think that is normal in any area with a major population. I live 25 miles outside of Boise and you still get the country feel. You will miss good BBQ, I haven't found a really good BBQ eatery yet.
Be careful, BSU will take the Texas out of Texas, how will you be able to explain that you your friends?

My Uncle Lives there and he moved there before the big boom. Still loves it though and spends alot of his time up on Bogus Basin. I am working in west texas right now and I cant for the life of me see why anyone would want to live here. The Hill country is more tolerable though.
I would choose Boise any day over Texas.

I appreciate the responses.

We had been looking at Colorado Springs pretty hard, and it is still a consideration. As well as a couple Wyoming places as well.
The mild winters in Boise seem pretty good to my wife, but it's her family in Texas so she has to be good with being that far away.
Been saving pretty hard for a couple years now, and will probably wait until spring and take a nice long trip up through Wyoming and over to Boise to check things out, then make a decision from there.
Have a family member there in Boise area, and a niece in college at Le Grande, Or. (not too far away)
Would still like to hear anything else about the area...

i am a boise native lived here my entire life with the exception of five years in anchorage , ak. the bad.........
you have terrible wages, pay state income tax as well as 6 % sales tax. the city road systems weren't planned well. can get very frustrating to drive in town as it seems it takes forever to get anywhere. but granted i never lived in a real big city.if you are unemployed REAL tough to get a semi decent paying job. 10 $ an hour is a decent rate of pay here. i took a 9 $ an hour pay cut when i moved from alaska back.

the good.....mild winters for the most part. can get quite hot in august but i am sure not as bad as texas. tons of fishing and hunting opertunity. you can fish for ocean run salmon and steelhead, tons of bass spots, crappie, bluegill, trout which some is blue ribbon world class. hunting for muleys has slowed for most. but very good draw hunts are available. elk hunting is good, and there are tons of whitetail in the north part of the state.we have cabella's !! hope this helps. need any more info let me know

>My Uncle Lives there and he
>moved there before the big
>boom. Still loves it though
>and spends alot of his
>time up on Bogus Basin.
>I am working in west
>texas right now and I
>cant for the life of
>me see why anyone would
>want to live here. The
>Hill country is more tolerable
>though.
>I would choose Boise any day
>over Texas.

Get on back to Boise son I promise you nobody in Texas will ever miss you. Take Care

Lived West of Boise my entire life. Getting annoyingly crowded. Not what it used to be but i'm sure it's a lot better than most places. I wouldnt encourage anyone to move here because I like my space. Getting to be subdivisions full of californians everywhere and i'm afraid it will only get worse in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom