anyone familiar with snake river elk?

orion23

Very Active Member
due to the new fee hike im trying to draw out this year and be done with OR. i have the points to draw the snake river unit but dont know much about it. id like to talk with someone about it either on the phone, or private emails. the sorts of things id like to know is more less making sure i dont get in over my head. ive heard you really need horses to penetrate this country effectively. caliber of bulls to expect, numbers of elk. hunter pressure, stuff like that.

thanks.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

i looked at your profile, non- resident right? rifle or bow? how many points? and what are you trying to kill with those points?

that would help, you dont HAVE to be in the northwest corner to hunt good bulls.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-09 AT 07:38AM (MST)[p]9 points, rifle, yes Non-res. Definately want to kill a legit 300 with to possibly shoot 330+.

My ears are open if you have any suggestions?

Travis

DP,
Did your father do any good this year? I'm headed to Kansas on Monday havent drawn any blood this year.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-09 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]330 is out of sight for most units in this state.
We just don't have the carry over to generate 330 bulls on a regular basis. There are probably a few in the unit but man, you might have to pass on a hundred bulls.

i have no problems passing on bulls as long as im seeing a few. im just want the unit to have the potential for that, not really to expect that.

wouldnt that be nice to pass on 100 bulls during an Oregon elk hunt? NICE!

Travis

i haven't hunted the snake river unit, but in the unit's i have hunted- you wont see 100 bulls, but could see a 330 bull. BUT realisticly, if you set your standards to kill a 300 class bull , it would be achievable. not a garrenty- but achievable.

The Snake has several key elements for growing big bucks and bulls, tough access,fairly undisturbed lowlands for wintering. I think everyone has there own opinion based on there own experience in the snake.330 bulls are there as well as 35" bucks. JB

Anyone have a name of a reputable outfitter in the Snake? I'm giving up on Drawing Mt. Emily as a non-resident and burning my points. Tired of playing Oregons games! Thanks so much..

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-09 AT 09:19AM (MST)[p]I have seen this guy mentioned but I have no idea if he's good or a hack.

http://www.delsolwildernessadventures.com/

There are a few guys that hunt/scout Mt Emily and Wenaha extensively that are on some of the other Oregon threads (JB included) that may know of a good guide for the Snake. You might PM them if they don't get hold of you 1st.
These guys probably know the potential for the unit better than most also.

Back
Top Bottom