Anybody use Alpen spotters?

D

Darktimber

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with Alpen spotting scopes. I had a chance to look through some this year and personally liked the optics for the money. Was just wondering how they hold up and how Customer service was and all that. Funds are tight with a young family and all. If you have any other options up to the $400.00 range, I'd be willing to hear them to. Kinda looking at vortex and Bushnell xlt also. Thanks for your input.

I have their rainier binos. Awesome glass. Customer service is hands down the best I have ever experienced. I had a warranty issue and I received a personal phone call from the owner if the company, issue taken care of no problem. Lifetime warranty like vortex, transferable, no receipt required. I am buying the Ranier spotter for my January deer hunt. I dint think you will be disappointed!

The ranier is a little out of my price range though. Have you used any of the other models?

I have not. I did a lot of research and from what I can tell, It appears to me that Alpen and vortex all seem almost identical in specs. They might be made in the same factory?? All of their spotters are Porro prism and are good glass for the money and have a no fault repair or replace warranty to boot. They just don't have the name recognition IMO.

I have the Apex 235's and it's a great little spotter.I also have Apex 10x50 binos.Great glass for the money in my book.Very nice folks at Alpen,they make great quality products for a decent price.I think Vortex just has more sales rep's and gimmicks....IMHO.

I was wondering about a spotter also. I have a pair of Apex binos and people are amazed when they look through them. I love them, and don't know if I'd trade them for anything but top, top end glass.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

Been looking at spotters as well. After reading this thread I looked at both the Alpen and Vortex. Looked very similar and both have great warranty. I asked the tech guys at Optics Planet and this is the response I got back for what it is worth to you.

"Usually when something costs 2 or 5 or 10 percent more it could well be the same product of a different color and name.

Usually when something costs 20 or 40 or 80 percent more it is usually a better product.

That said the Vortex is better. It is probably better in clarity, brightness, and function."

Used my Ranier HD spotter last weekend for the 1st time. Not an apples to apples comparison but I had my spotter side by side with a Swaro 60mm spotter (the rainier is 85mm). We both had them set on 20X and the Alpen was brighter than the Swaro. (With 25mm bigger lens it should be). I am very pleased with it and although it is bulky and not the lightest, it works for me and what I use it for. Alpen is a small company and their service is unbelievable.

Hey guys, just an update. I went with the Alpen and have been using it a lot already checking out all the rutting mulies. I love 'em. For the money they are clear and bright. I had narrowed it down to two spotters. The Alpen 745 20-60x60 and the Vortex Nomad 20-60x60. Side by side optical clarity is identical. Both impressed me for the price. Weight and size they are almost identical to. The difference is the focus knob. In that respect, the Nomad was better than the Alpen. I could gain focus quicker with the vortex. You have to play with the Alpen a little bit more to get it dialed in. That being said, for the extra money saved, I will play with the focus for 1 second more. Can use the savings to start saving for a good tripod. The little table top that comes with it sucks. I did get a Nikon window mount the same day and it seems to be pretty good so far. Overall for the money the Alpen 745 and the Vortex Nomad are both great little spotters that will be easy to pack into the high country. You can't go wrong with either of them. Thanks for your help guys.

smiley-violent064.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom