Any Wyoming Moose shot??

I haven't, but I'm getting pretty excited for my own hunt. I'm hoping to head up next week.

Hope to see some pics on here soon of some Wyoming moose.

Good luck to you!!!!
What unit is your tag for? I am thinking about putting in next year with 7 pref. pts. or I might add a couple more points. Not sure yet.

I've got a tag for unit 21. It's mostly wilderness. I've been up a few times in the non-wilderness country, but haven't seen much. We're headed in with horses the end of the week, and hope to come out with a monster.......

Regardless, it's some beautiful country.

I had 7 points going into the draw. I think there was only 1 nonresident tag this year. So, I got bloody lucky and drew a random tag-I think.

Wish I could use some of the draw luck on a few other tags.

Wapiti11,

Shot my moose on Saturday. Had a great hunt, and killed a really good bull. Couldn't be happier with my first moose!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-07 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p] CONGRATS PAUL.....I WOULD BE REALLY INTERESTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MOOSE NUMBERS/ QUALITY OF BULLS IN UNIT 23 IF ANY BODY HAS HUNTED THESE UNITS FOR ELK,DEER OR MOOSE....THANKS FOR ANY INFO./I WILL BURN MY POINTS IN 2008......(HOW WIDE WAS YOUR BULL PAUL)...YD.

Congrats to you!!!!
Did you see good numbers of moose in your area. Any details would be great along with a story and pic.

Thanks guys.

Had a great hunt. I hunted with outfitter Bob Barlow. We covered A LOT of ground on horses. There's no way I'd consider hunting moose in 21 without horses-good horses!

The bull isn't very wide-under 40" but has great palms, points, and mass. I put a rough tape on him and he should easily go over 140.

Send me your email address and I'll send a pic over.

Robb, I have been hunting 3 days a week. Seen about 12 bulls. One decent about 40-43 inches wide. Good palm length but not very good width and split brow tine on one side. Still looking for a better bull. I have until Nov 15th. I'm praying for snow. I'll see what happens.

Stick with it Greg, you will be fine... Nov 15th for sure they will move off the N. Slope by then!

Thanks Paul--- that is a dandy Moose for you.

YD--I spend a decent amount of time in moose # 23.... when drawn for 'G' deer or the Reduced price cow/calf.... I have the R-P c/c this year... seen a few moose nothing really big like last year.

Touchbase with me if ya need some other info.

Robb

THANKS ROBB, I WILL CHECK BACK WITH YOU ON #23. I AM JUST TRYING TO CONFIRM THAT THE WOLVES HAVE NOT DOOMED THAT UNIT AS WELL. I JUST HAVE TO KNOW THAT THE HERD IS IN TACT BEFORE I BURN MY POINTS. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON HERD STATUS ? THANKS...YD.

unit 27. It's about 60% private. Not a great unit. Every year a couple good bulls shot. It's only two hours from my home was one of the reasons I chose the unit. I'll keep you posted.

YD- I didn't get in to moose 23 until October 1st this year.... a couple weeks after the moose hunt had started...

I did not see the quality of bull moose or quantity as in the past.....

Keep in mind this is after the moose hunt opening dates and after the deer hunters for a couple weeks... alot of movement by the moose of course.

Sooooo.... I still would strongly consider 23 with 'my' points next year....

Robb

When I started putting in I was bent on 26, but seems like the quality of 26 has really slipped the last few year.

Looked at 27 a bunch, but decided there's more private land than I wanted to deal with, and the jump in the number of points to draw a tag didn't make much sense.

23 always interested me, but it looked like it was a few more years down the road before I could draw.

Looks like I got lucky anyway with 7 points in 21 and drew a random tag.

I know wolves are a hot issue especially around Duboise and around the northern side of the Park, but I don't think they're impacting much (yet) of anything south of Jackson. I've always seen quite a few moose around Duboise during the late deer hunt. We saw plenty of moose and a whole bunch of elk in 21-including several good bulls 300+. I wish I would have had an elk tag too!

Sounds like 16 is producing some good bull moose and you'd think the wolves would be hammering this area?

Oh well, I've got 5 years to think about where to apply next......:)

Prism, your last reply you mentioned the late deer hunt around dubios. My dad drew a late 128 tag, we have never been down there and were to busy for any scouting trips. Do you know much about the area? Any advise would be great......

I got a bull in 17 this year. It was very tough for me to find good bulls. This one is the second best I saw. The slightly better one would have killed me packing it out, I decided to go back to this one when it was close to time to go home. Only 38" wide, but I hunted hard, had fun, and am very happy with him, that is what counts. Sorry no field photos, my camera battery was dead and the spare was lost. As a bonus, picked up my deer head from the late 128 hunt last year. Joe of Windy Mountin' Taxidermy in Dubois did a awesome job. And Wapti, have fun with your dad and try to not expect something huge. It is more of an easy hunt for a 170ish buck than a super trophy hunt, better jump on e first 180 he can. e-mail me if you want. I'll be gone hunting again for over a week Thursday.

47251ab7515be363.jpg

47251b1d53112794.jpg

Ditto on the 128 info. There are very few really big deer shot-lots of 140-160 bucks. I'll got out on a limb and say you're gonna have to hunt pretty hard and be pretty lucky for a 170 buck or bigger.

Could be an awesome hunt if they'd trim the tag numbers back a bunch.

It's a fun hunt, with a lot of deer to look at. Most of the bigger bucks I've seen have either been right around town or on private.

I've been on a couple of hunts in this unit, and really don't think one spot is better than another, you just gotta spend the time to stumble onto a good one.

Keep your eyes open for wolves. We saw quite a bit of wolf sign up Horse Creek the last time I was there.

Be sure to stop and check out the rams-might just find a big buck around there too.;)

Nice moose E-Fudd! I was wondering how you where doing up there.

Read your article in the new Trophy Hunter mag. on your 128 buck hunt. Good read and a real good buck. Mount turned out real nice.

Robb

Elmer, I think we were talking back and forth on your 128 hunt last year. My son had the tag as well. Nice moose.

I got my moose in WY a few years ago and with the wolf problem glad I did. My wife has 7 points in WY so we have a moose hunt in the future just dont know when.

Paul, yes, that was me. I did 17 for two reasons, it was sure deal with my 7 points (I just wanted out of the $75 per year, and next year's 20% price increase) and there is no desiginated wilderness and little private land, so I did not need a guide. I knew before applying that it was not a top trophy unit, but you can get lucky in any unit. I had fun, and got a nice moose, in my book. Glad I did, and would do it again. Good luck to your wife.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom