Any Waterfowl Hunters?

NeMont

Long Time Member
Since big game ended it seems like waterfowl is on the list of things to hunt.

Been a good goose year.

photo5_zps816caa99.jpg

photo5_zps18032574.jpg

photo_zps83cfb350.jpg

99557ee7-4b08-4991-9629-becc848dabae_zps15b59e36.jpg

photo5_zpse61f358d.jpg

f705cd9d-7c5a-405a-a040-82fce880c1dd_zps73b87ad8.jpg

IMG_1541_zps019a4563.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps1f0affbf.jpg

photo1_zpsfa9e3203.jpg

photo3_zps4a76ab38.jpg

Pretty unusual markings on that one. What load(s) are you shooting NeMont? Excellent!

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Awesome days there. Reminds me of my hunts around Nampa Idaho. The geese still up there in Montana or are these a few days old?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-14 AT 04:08PM (MST)[p]Geese are still here and unless things change they won't be leaving. The last pics were from last Saturday.

I have tried everything under the sun it seems as far as loads and choke combo's. My Beretta likes Kent FastSteel, 3in, #2, 1 1/8 oz at 1400 FPS. I shoot that load now for ducks and geese. I don't buy into the BB and BBB shot and 3 1/2 in loads any more. Birds in the decoys will be just as dead with my load.

If I was shooting non decoying birds and had the money I would shoot nothing but Hevi Shot. That stuff flat kills birds but at about $3 a shell, is a little pricey.

Nemont

NeMont, thanks. I stumbled onto a Briley IM choke that my 870 likes. It shoots #3 Kent shot extremely well, so I stick with that. 90% of my shooting is for ducks.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Wish we were this weekend driving along the Platte River in central Nebraska. Storm funneled the birds in there by the 100s of thousands. Was a pretty awesome sight to witness regardless. Son went out today and bagged some mallards and missed a few others here in NW Colorado. With his Christmas break and the recent storms he will be out for sure over the next few days too even with single and sub zero temps. This is his first year of waterfowling where he is mobile and he has pretty much taken over my equipment and dog. He gave up high school sports just to pursue his hunting which started out with archery elk then moved into waterfowl. Got some Christmas money and he purchased 3 boxes of #3 shot and 2 new calls returning me my calls. Right now he's passed out asleep on the sofa after spending the majority of day waiting for honkers and quackers. His mother says I broke him. I tell her I fixed him for the rest of his life... :) :)

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Those Pic's look suspiciously like ones that were posted here last year! ;-)

Nice guys! Real Nice!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Very nice guys! Those big honkers sure are fun to shoot over decoys. Bossbrott, you've got yourself quite a smorgasbord there with mallards, gadwall wigeon and a cinnamon. Well done!

My wife's farm is located about 3 miles from the Sutter wildlife refuge on the Sacramento River. My father-in-law and I would pick a day where we had a high fog about 50 yards off the ground. He would throw out 2X2 sheets of white paper and we would lay down in the rice stubble. On hearing the ducks or geese flying above in the fog, he would use his game call to lure them in.
When they flew down and busted though the fog. They would not see us until it was to late and they were in 25 yards shooting range. We would have no problem taking a limit of ducks and geese by noon time. Did not have to dig any shooting pits doing it that way. I haven't hunted geese or ducks for several years now.

RELH

hunted last 5 days of cali season with my 2 brothers for 125 snows 1 spec 87 duck included was 1 banded malard 1 banded gadwall 1 eurasian widgeon 1 teal wideon cross, graet decoy action,also on the hunt was a 1 year old female lab,her training is complete.

I just wrapped up the season here in Missouri. Had my best year yet on ducks including my first wood duck, a drake. I managed to kill 6 Canadas after much effort spot and stalk style. I'd love to hunt them over a spread like your video. Looks like a blast! What is the daily limit in MT? It is 3 in MO. Thanks for sharing!

NRA Life Member

Lefties are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

Nemont y'all put the hammer on some geese!

I mostly focus on ducks, my only goose this year was near end of season, in photo below. And how about that snipe!! :)

Had a great year overall.

764p1010486_red.jpg

I can't get this thread to update. The main page says 18 posts, I can only see 11. I'm posting this to get the thread to update.

Sweet swan! 2wks to go in the regular goose season here in colorado....then the light geese spring conservation hunt begins!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom