ANy trap shooters here?

muzz

Long Time Member
Anyone shoot trap here? Whats your best loads to shoot factory speaking? Do you like te faster shooting loads or slower like winchester AA lites?

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

done a little bit of trap but skeet is the cats meow. imo

loads i use,

12 gauge,AA hull with a AA wad 1 1/8 ounce of #7 1/2 lead and 18 grains of red dot.

20 gauge,AA hull with AA wad 7/8 ounce of 7 1/2 pushed by 16 grains of unique.

both are great loads for "pigeons" and there also small games worst nightmare.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

Chad If your shooting 16 yd handicap shoot the AA or RXP 1-1/8 oz. 2-3/4 dram equivilant and if your shooting the 22 yd shoot the 3 dram equivilant. Or decreese your lead if shooting the faster 3 dram at 16 yd. However a few tricks and practice is more important. You will find a trap grade gun with the right choke will improve your shooting! (Dose the gun fit) Drop and Pull of a gun will make a differance!! Shoot a 30" barrel with a modified choke v.s the standard feild gun with a 28" timing is a critical factor. Hold your gun slightly down so it dose not ubstruct your view of the target so you see the target before it is in Nevada. Lead hard right for right flying targets and slightly lead left for left handed targets. Unless your left handed. See you twist your body easy to left and have to twist more if you shoot right. Increse your lead for right handed targets as you move stations from left to right! And decrese your lead for left handed targets as you move stations from left to right. Hope that helps. We should go shoot. And if that don't help Pattern your gun See if it is shooting where you aim. Not only where your shooting but how far the target is. Take a peice of paper and put a 1/4 inch dot on it and place it on the wall. Practice swing and dry fire with snap cap shells. Notice things like trigger squeeze vs. jerking it, head down, pose, comfort and timing get smooth. If your hitting 1 out of 25 your doing great keep up the good work.
Rutnbuck

For 16yd -singles-federal top guns 2 3/4 dram 1145 fps 8s-9s
for 27yd-handicaps-same but 7 1/2s-3 dram 1200 fps
estates are made by federal also and are usally cheaper
i have shot 1145s from the 27 not alot of differance
I shoot ATA -2005 rookie of the year
2007 utah state trap team
over 45,000 registered targets shot!!!!
When i reload i use green remington sts nitro hulls 1 1/8 oz remington tg 12s wads- or windjammer versa lites,17.5 grains of 700x- 8s,9s,7 1/2s shot

> Chad If
>your shooting 16 yd handicap
>shoot the AA or RXP
> 1-1/8 oz. 2-3/4
>dram equivilant and if your
>shooting the 22 yd shoot
>the 3 dram equivilant. Or
>decreese your lead if shooting
>the faster 3 dram at
>16 yd. However a
>few tricks and practice is
>more important. You will find
>a trap grade gun with
>the right choke will improve
>your shooting! (Dose the gun
>fit) Drop and Pull of
>a gun will make a
>differance!! Shoot a 30" barrel
>with a modified choke v.s
>the standard feild gun with
>a 28" timing is a
>critical factor. Hold your
>gun slightly down so it
>dose not ubstruct your view
>of the target so you
>see the target before it
>is in Nevada. Lead hard
>right for right flying targets
>and slightly lead left
>for left handed targets. Unless
>your left handed. See you
>twist your body easy to
>left and have to twist
>more if you shoot right.
> Increse your lead for
>right handed targets as you
>move stations from left to
>right! And decrese your lead
>for left handed targets as
>you move stations from left
>to right. Hope that helps.
>We should go shoot. And
>if that don't help Pattern
>your gun See if it
>is shooting where you aim.
>Not only where your shooting
>but how far the target
>is. Take a peice
>of paper and put a
>1/4 inch dot on it
>and place it on the
>wall. Practice swing and dry
>fire with snap cap shells.
> Notice things like trigger
>squeeze vs. jerking it, head
>down, pose, comfort and timing
>get smooth. If your hitting
>1 out of 25 your
>doing great keep up the
>good work.
>
> Rutnbuck

So Rut?
You're saying:Squeezing it is better than Jerking it?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Well i have shot trap alot and use the estates competition loads. There ok but damn the big boys with there reloads are impressive as hell. I want to get a reloader and start reloading shotgun shells but i was wondering if there is a better load factory wise out there that im not finding. What the hell happened to the fiochi white rhino's? I loved them loads.

Rut when you wanna go shoot? I shoot in brigham on thursday nights. Meet me sometime. I thought you was workin out of town?

Thanks guys for the imput. Maybe when i get some money and get a reloader you all can give me some tips on reloading loads.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-11 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]The big boys LEO HARRISON,SEAN HAWLEY,RICKY MARSHALL,KAYE OHEA,
I could go on i've shot with the best in the world
They dont shoot reloads,they have sponsors and 95% shoot remington sts & super handicaps.They are the best shell on the market,but expensive.In 2008 at the western grand i got into a shoot off with some off the countrys best(all americans)I ran 600 singles straight to get there. i was using federal top guns ended up runner up in AAA CLASS.Gun fit is really the most important thing,shoot the shells you can afford and practice,practice.
There is a saying in trap,when you miss its the Indian not the arrow!! shoot well and shoot often AAA27AAA

Is Ritchie whitaker still at brigham??

I agree, You know a good gun smith up around Ogden that can put a choke system on my gun? Its a fixed barrel right now.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-11 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]Yes Karl Mcknight hes lives in west jordan but goes to the big shoots at golden spike and has his trailer there and works on guns he is very good and his prices are the best. Im sure his number is in the clubhouse somebody working there should have it ! He is very well known-if you cant get it i will get it for you.Mcnightgunsmithing.com/ 801-831-0310
I had his card in my wallet-give him a call he will take care of you.

Doctor D would you shoot 7 1/2 shot or go to 8's or 9's? I have always shot the 7.5s, Does this cold weather matter what shot? I shoot tonight and was thinkin or getting some 8's or 9's

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Sorry i was out of town use 7 1/2 - 8s if you are shooting 18yds or farther!! I use 9s when it is hot but i have shot them in the winter too,this time of year the targets are cold and are hard a little heavier shot will do you good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom