Any thoughts on the Hornady SST bullets???

B

brownndown

Just found 100 for 34.00 today..according to Hornadys site they are extremely CE and the reading was .525...just wanna hear some thoughts on them!

Stack em like cord wood!!!

I used them this year in my 7mm. The shot better out of my gun than any other bullet. 154 grain interlock.
I used them on a sheep hunt. They performed very well.

I took 4-5 bucks with them with really good success. My 270WSM really liked the 150 gr factories at 3150 FPS with good, +.500 BC, and great down range retained energy.

I might not make a habit of hunting big elk with them though as there are other sturdier bullets out there for smashing through heavy bone if needed and then getting deeper penetration once doing so.

Myself, i switched to Accubonds for everything but had no problems with the SST's and they shot extremely well in my gun.

Joey

Sounds like a pretty good bullet then!...I am shooting a Savage 270 WSM also Joey!...Looks like I made a good choice then

i switched to them last year. i whacked a big muley last year and a big antelope this year, both at 350yards. exit hole was impressive on both. i also whacked an antelope doe at 500 and a black bear at 250. they are the most accurate bullet ive ever shot and so far have done plenty of damage. at the range, ive put 7 in one hole. browning a bolt.

Thanks that makes me really feel like I made a great choice!...I used to shoot accubonds just because it was a sweet factory load from Federal...Shot 1 buck in mn with them thru the lungs at 28yds and he made it about 20yds and shot my first mullie with them at 85 yds and high shoulder hit and he just tipped right over...not even a leg kick...lights out done!!!...Just read alot of great things about the Hornadys and figured I would give them a try....that and they are approx .030 higher co-efficent!

Yea, I've been shootin' Hornadys factory loads for years in the SST. They have performed awesomely for me.

This Kansas whitetail was taken quartering away with a 139 gr SST at just a few steps past a lasered 500 yards. As with most of the several animals I have shot with the Heavy Mag load from Hornady he went right down. I don't think I have to explain what can easily be seen concerning the bullets performance.
I hated to see them discontinue the Heavy Mag load but other than the lack of the moly coating option, the Superformance should work just fine, maybe even more accurately with their new powder developements. My rifle has accuracy enhancements and the barrel de-resonators help it to shoot great groups with the fast load, but it was a bit more challenging to tame at 3250 fps.
Hornady's ammo is hard to beat and I really appreciate the fact that they are the little guys who bring the most to the table in developing creative loads and calibers.

1963the_end_023.jpg

Yea, I've been shootin' Hornadys factory loads for years in the SST. They have performed awesomely for me.
This Kansas whitetail was taken quartering away with a 139 gr SST at just a few steps past a lasered 500 yards. As with most of the several animals I have shot with the Heavy Mag load from Hornady he went right down. I don't think I have to explain what can easily be seen concerning the bullets performance.
I hated to see them discontinue the Heavy Mag load but other than the lack of the moly coating option, the Superformance should work just fine, maybe even more accurately with their new powder developements. My rifle has accuracy enhancements and the barrel de-resonators help it to shoot great groups with the fast load, but it was a bit more challenging to tame at 3250 fps.
Hornady's ammo is hard to beat and I really appreciate the fact that they are the little guys who bring the most to the table in developing creative loads and calibers.

I use the 180 gr. SST in my .300 Wby. and have been very happy with them. They are under MOA at 3285 fps out of my long custom barrel and don't excessively damage meat IMO but still are frangible enough to do the job even with a marginal hit.

Bill

Browndown,
I purchased a new Savage .270WSM for Christmas last year and have had great success with the 150 grain Hornady SST out of my gun. I am shooting 58 grains of Hodgdon H4831SC powder with the 150 gr. SST and my gun really likes that load. I have not killed anything with it yet, but am heading to Wyoming this Friday to shoot a speed goat, so will have better field results after that trip hopefully.

I don't think you can go wrong with that bullet in your .270WSM.

69 gr RL25 and a 150 sst out of my 270wsm is awesome!!!! I've had it for a couple of years now and those sst's are some great rounds.

respect my authorita

WOW!!! that is quite a bit of devistation on that buck considering he was out at 500+ yds, Plz posts some pics if you smoke a speedgoat out in Wyoming too..GOOD LUCK out in Wyoming man!!!...I am going next yr hell or highwater LOL! I shall soon find out as soon as I get all my reloading supplies and start reloading and do a bit of shooting, I was actually planning on using IMR 4831 for my reloading and prolly close to 58 gr also

Browndown,
I finally got to do a "real" test with my 150 grain SST bullets out of my .270 WSM and the results were better than I could have hoped, so thought I would share.

I shot this Wyoming goat at a ranged 380 yards. The buck was slightly quartering to me and I hit him just in front of the point of the shoulder on entry and the bullet did not exit but caused some serious devastation out to the last rib on the other side. I shot the buck near dark so I was hurrying to take pics and get the meat taken care of so I did not dig the bullet out, but I now regret that and wish I would have recovered the bullet to see how it held up. I can tell you it completely devastated the shoulder where the bullet entered and the speedgoat experienced a very fast death :) Here is a pic of my buck:

CoryBuck1.jpg

Good luck with the SST bullet - I think you will like it for hunting purposes!

Those will get your game down, but if you wanna a great bullet for the same price check out the nossler accubond thay are just great, at a 100 yards i can put a nickel over my 5 shot group....:)

I've killed a bunch of mulies with 130 gr SST out of my .270. This year, I'm shooting a 200 gr out of my .338 Win mag on an elk. Will be interesting to see how the bullet performs with the bigger caliber.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-10 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]I just got back from a Wyoming muley hunt and my son shot a buck with a .270 shooting 140 gr SST behind 52. grs of IMR 4350. This load on paper will print clover leafs all day long out of my gun he used. The Buck he shot he had to shoot 3 times at around 150 to 200 yards. 1st destroyed his liver, second was in the lungs and the 3 third was a gut shot. (My sons only 13)The bullets did kill the deer but I found every one in the body. All three bullets had shed their copper jacket and the lead was in pieces all through the body cavity. The copper was just a hollow shell. Now this is the first time I have used Hornady SST's and maybe had a bad experience but I'm hesitant to use them again due to all three failing to hold together.

My experience with SST has not been that great either on elk with a 300 ultramag - they seem to perform more like a ballistic tip - Not speaking for anyone else as I am sure SSTs work for others, but I ended up going back to the good ol reliable partitions.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom