ANY REAL HUNTERS OUT THERE?

B

BoneJunkie

What is everyones opinion on baiting deer? I won't and never will, but I know alot of guys that do and they always kill 180 to 220 inch bucks. I like to hunt hard and earn my trophy the old fashioned way. Is it really hunting when someone uses a ultralight plane to locate deer, and hay,apples and water to bait them? Or am I just old fashioned?

I think that most of us have a limit to what we will do or tolerate others doing to kill a deer. I live in Alabama,...we have deer out the you know what...it's not legal to hunt over bait, but the insurance companies are lobbying hard to make it legal in order to reduce the population....deer vs car repairs are enormous here. I would likely hunt over bait if it was legal here....it's not that big of a deal to me, but I can see where it could be somewhere else. However I won't use a plane to find game, I don't really like that idea much, but I can see where it could mean the difference in a hunt for say caribou during the migration. I don't think you're old fashioned bonejunkie....you have the things you won't do and so do most folks I think. Hunting over bait can be a hot issue I know,...this is just my opinion about it.

I'm pretty sure its illegal to locate game from a plane for the purpose of hunting them, atleast in utah.

Brings up another question. Whats this trophy rock everone talks about using? I've heard of people on here using it in Utah. Reading the regs I would say that it's not legal, but everyone is open about using it.

My nephew baits deer every year in town and always kills a good buck during archery season. Never done it myself but it sure is tempting.

>What is everyones opinion on baiting
>deer? I won't and never
>will, but I know alot
>of guys that do and
>they always kill 180 to
>220 inch bucks. I like
>to hunt hard and earn
>my trophy the old fashioned
>way. Is it really hunting
>when someone uses a ultralight
>plane to locate deer, and
>hay,apples and water to bait
>them? Or am I just
>old fashioned?

I'm not a fan of baiting, but like everyone else I'm sure you enjoy some sort of new technology or tactics.....binos.....rifle...rangefinder...etc. As far as I'm concerned unless you strap on a loin cloth and carve your own stick and string it aint that old fashioned. We're all guilty of trying to gain an edge somehow.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

baiting an animal is illegal in most states. most people I meet these days judge success on the size and if they kill. baiting is cheap and I can't imagine anyone thinks they accomplished anything by killing an animal that way. why don't you guys try to out smart and actually hunt an animal? heck just come down to nm and shoot em however you want!

If it is legal, I don't have a problem with with people hunting that way. I can always find a way to diss "your" way to hunt. As stated, are scopes, rangefinders, binocs, compound bows not a big advnatage? Each person has to come up with his/her own defination of what hunting is.

And as far as those using baiting killing 180-220 deer every year, I will believe that when I see the pictures. Those guys didn't grow that big by coming in to bait and there are not an overabundance of them to begin with. In Texas, where baiting is common, it is rare to kill a big buck at a feeder.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

It's up to individuals. If it's legal in your state, go ahead. You probably have more deer than the land can support. However, I feel sorry for the guys that have to hunt that way. Living in Texas for 15 years, I can tell you- it's one boring way to hunt.

There are some areas that it may be your only hope, but if that's the case, I really don't want to hunt there. You miss out on the "Hunt" part of it in my opinion. To me, "hunt" is a bit more of an active word than waiting over their dinner table.

that's my two cents,

WH

>baiting an animal is illegal in
>most states. most people I
>meet these days judge success
>on the size and if
>they kill. baiting is cheap
>and I can't imagine anyone
>thinks they accomplished anything by
>killing an animal that way.
>why don't you guys try
>to out smart and actually
>hunt an animal? heck just
>come down to nm and
>shoot em however you want!
>
Hey hornblower 247, I heard those hillbillys in Kentucky love to throw out a little yellow call to bring those whitetails in,squel like a pig. LOL

well if your going to stick me on a postage stamp to hunt when I get there, you got to do whatever it takes! but I was thinking of western hunting my friend!

I don't care for baiting. I merely wear my surefire camo that I designed.

4ace19252bf6b821.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-09 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]Yupper. I call the design Krazy Korn. I heard Cabela's might be interested in marketing it. They just can't decide whether to sell it in the food section or in the clothing area.

I've also thought about inventing some sort of call. Problem is I'm not sure what sounds an ear of corn makes. Any ideas?

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

If the food source is natural or is grown for human consumption and it attracks deer ok. If it's man made specifically to attract deer NO. I'm sick and tired of white tail hunting shows were the guy sits in a ground blind on some private ranch with a pile of grain or a 5 acre field of Biologic. Then he kills a huge buck steroided from the biologic walks 30 yards to this fake buck and proceeds to tell the viewing audience what a tough hunt it was!!!. If you want to bait deer go ahead just don't call it hunting or tough...All it really is, is killing. Just my opinion...

tony I guided a guy that made his millions by marketing tapes for your call box that sounded like a spin feeder slinging corn! take your shirt idea to a ground blind and your set! lol

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-09 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]Where legal I don't have a problem with people doing it but I've seen it a few times in Utah and it bothers me that people think it's ok.

Like the camo pattern Idea. Been working on one for the guys at Bucks of the Tecomate that is a photorealistic plywood pattern to match the box blinds.

Not to derail the thread, but my son and I were discussing the other day how crazy it seems when these guys travel half way across the country to Wyoming (or wherever) to sit in a ground blind. I realize it's hard to get on animals with a bow on the plains, but it seems to sort of defeat the purpose of heading 2000 miles west for a hunt.

I digress.

WH

If it is legal it then becomes the hunters choice of which method to use.

Baiting always seems to be frowned upon, but hunting over waterholes is rarely questioned. What's the difference?? What about known trails?? Hell, let's not hunt anywhere we know there might be an animal...might give us an unfair advantage.

Again, as long as it is legal it is the hunter's choice.

I know I have better things to do than worry about wether or not someone else's perfectly legal activities are okay or not. I simply obey the laws and then hunt in a way that I am personally comfortable with and is enjoyable to me.

When laws are broken, however, it becomes everyone's business!

....Oh, and by the way, baiting is legal in Utah. So is scouting from the air, within certain restrictions. You may want to read those regs again..... Try the 2009 Big Game Guide Book page 45 under "Prohibited Hunting Methods".

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-09 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]HH,

You know, you might be on to something.

Many years ago, I did an archery hunt near Rogers City, on the northern tip of Michigan. On the drive north, I was cracking up at all the places along the highway that had signs advertising the sale of sugar beets, corn and other various baits. They sold stuff by the bag or by the you-load truck loads, etc.

Unfortunately, I didn't know it before I went, but the humor of it was lost when I found out we were relegated to blinds that either overlooked a pile of sugar beets or a solar-powered, automatic corn feeder.

There were four us hunting a small parcel that probably wasn't more than a couple acres. So there was no other way for me to hunt without disturbing my buddies.

I was assigned an elevated blind that was acutally meant for rifle hunters. In order to draw my bow, I had to slump down so the upper limb wouldn't hit the ceiling. I also had to stand back from the window because it folded in and up, thus also would be a danger to the upper limb on release.

Sooo...bright and early the first day at dawn, I climb into my perch. As soon as it got light, I heard the "whirrrr" of the feeder and it spewed breakfast on the ground into a 20-ft. circle. Within five minutes several does with fawns were joined by a couple turkeys, a few black squirrels and a porky for the morning meal. As soon as the corn had been devoured, all the critters disappeared back into their daytime hidey holes. The scenario -- the loud "whirrrr" and procession to the dining room -- repeated itself again just before the sun went down.

On the 2nd day, a small buck came in, but since I had two more days to hunt, I didn't shoot. Same for day 3. On the last day, I decided to take the first buck that came to munch. It was the small buck. Sooo...I stooped down, drew my bow and had him dead in my sight. I released and watched my arrow sail a foot over his back at less than 20 yards. I was stunned, knowing I was shooting 3" groups at that distance.

Then it dawned on me that I had been looking through the sight, which was well above the arrow itself. Sure enough, when I looked at the window sill, I could see where the broadhead had sliced the edge on its way to the buck. It was just enough of a tick to send it upward for a healthy margin of miss.

This was the only time I've hunted deer over bait. I also hunted black bear ONCE in Ontario (1991?) over bait -- 55 gal. drums filled with steenkin' fish. I didn't kill a bear because the two that came in were barely 150 lbs. each. Beside, I was too busy wrasslin' with ticks.

The three big blacks I've taken were taken spot & stalk in BC where baiting is illegal.

Since the bait hunt for bear, I have refused to hunt any critter over bait. I also don't like using a blind or treestand because for me it's an awful boring way to hunt. Now, thinking back, I can remember only two deer I've killed from stands or blinds, and both were on the same hunt in TX during the early 1970s. There was no bait involved, however.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

tony that's great! I was shocked when that man told me how he made his mark on the world! so simple. although I have to admit this will be m first year hunting whitetails back east in kentucky, and im sure I will be sitting over a big mossyoak field and a big pile of corn! but it is legal and when your restricted to a tiny piece of land, 250 acres, I've been told the deer won't show if you don't keep them interested in your land.
I hunted tx last year on 160 acres and glassed deer all day long on every other piece of property, never saw a one on the land we were able to hunt!
but im still all wound up inside about this hunt and being able to finally harvest a whitetail!

When back East, I hunt whitetails over bait and make no apologies. When you are restricted to a small Private parcel (because there is very little public land in the East--No BLM and few NF), you use whatever legal tools that you have in your quiver.

Spot and stalk hunting is useless when you can cover your entire hunting parcel in about 20 minutes, which only runs the deer off our property to be shot by your neighbor. I think a lot of the Western guys would give up hunting if they were forced to hunt in the East.

Baiting deer is right up there with bird shooters calling themselves hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]Hillbilly,

Over the last 50 years, I have been fortunate to hunt in many states, including some in the Midwest, Northeast and Southwest.

I was 17 when I killed my first buck, shot through the neck with a 30/30 336 Marlin. He was a fat buck with 12" spikes on small farm in NY state. No blind or stand involved. In more recent years since then, I have killed one or more white-tailed deer in each of the following states: IN (2), AL (4), PA, MI, IA (2), IL, FL, GA, OH (2) and Nova Scotia (2). Two -- in OH and IN -- were with a muzzleloader.

All these hunts occurred on small, unfenced private parcels, and not a one was killed from a stand or blind. Although on a couple of the hunts, my morning began in either of the above, usually after a 1/2-hr. of boredom and/or shivering, I was on the ground either still hunting through the woods or finding a high hill to glass from and do a spot-&-stalk.

The only reason I shot the ones from a blind in TX that I mentioned earlier was because the property owner made it clear that we weren't allowed to leave the blinds. I have no doubt, however, that my success wouldn't have changed if I had been still hunting.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony,
I'm not saying you can't kill whitetails by still hunting-of course you can. I have killed many that way myself when I was privy to hunt larger tracts. I just don't believe that a guy is any less of a hunter if you shoot a deer over bait, out of a stand or out of a blind as many have suggested.

I can say that if you are using any glassing techniques to whitetail hunt back East, you are definitely hunting more property than I ever get to hunt in the East. When I can sit in a stand and see the boundaries to all 4 sides of the hunting tract that I have permission to hunt, still hunting isn't really an option--hence stands, bait and blinds.

I know this is an age old argument on MM but I really feel like it is too easy for guys that grew up hunting the West where you can glass 2 miles in every direction on National Forest then jump in the truck and drive to the next glassing spot don't really understand why baiting is sometimes a necessity on small tracts in the East. I know I'm not going to win this argument today, or ever for that matter, but baiting has a time and place.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-09 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]HB,

Sometimes glassing works quite well regardless of the hunting tract size. It's often a great way to take a close-up peek into dense woods where the eye alone wouldn't reveal a small part of a deer.

On one hunt in Iowa on a small farm, I started the morning by climbing into an elevated box blind. It sat in the middle of the trees overlooking a single deer run. That lasted about 1/2/ hr.

From the blind, I could see a small hill in the middle of a field with one lone big oak tree on top. It was only about 200 yards away. So I made my way to the hill, rested up against the tree trunk and used my 8X binocs to scan the tract of trees that sat at the edge of the field. Sure enough, within 15 minutes I spotted some movement. Once I knew the deer was there I was able to stay on it and see it was a decent buck on a scrape right next to a fenceline. I doubt I would have seen him through the trees without the glassing.

I immediately checked the wind and headed to the fence on the downwind side. It was an easy chore to follow the 3-strand wire up a slight rise. The buck was still in the same spot, rubbing scent on an overhanging branch. A 140-gr. bullet from my .264 at 50 yds. put him down on the spot.

I'm headed to Uvalde, TX next month to hopefully kill a maverick scimitar oryx that has been wandering around a small ranch for the last couple months. The ranch owner offered to let me hunt deer for a very good price. The first thing I told him was my dislike for feeders and blinds. He assured me I could do my own thing. That's what I plan to do.

As for "baiting has a time and place," we'll probably just have to agree to disagree. If nothing else, it sure doesn't in the West, IMO.

PS: In my other reply, this should have read "including some in the Midwest, Northeast and SOUTHEAST. Also, I missed one buck I killed in SC on a 10-acre tract. There might be more, but my I'm more prone to old-timer's disease now. :)

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I have never hunted over bait and I'm not sure I ever will. However, there are areas where the vegatation is so thick that glassing is out of the question and walking through vegatation that crunches under your feet like popcorn may not be productive either.For example, many of the ranches in Sonora have no high spots to glass from which leaves you with tracking and riding in the high racks, and I suppose there is some baiting going on too. There are areas where baiting may be the only way to be productve and ultimately successful. In contrast, I can't imagine baiting being very successful or even feasible above timberline. Most people like to be sucessful and I see nothing wrong with employing legal tatics to improve ones odds.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-09 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]HB,

Will do. Tomorrow my wife and I are driving to our timeshares in Mazatlan, Mex. for two weeks of R&R. She'll read and bask in the sun, and I'll drink cervezas and bikini watch from the patio.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

An earlier post mentioned the most common kind of bait.
It is used in many areas,
Most animals not only like it, but need it regularly,
Very few "sportsmen" look down on you for hunting over it,
What is it?

WATER

This whole thread cracks me up. How one form of advantage is deemed morally superior to another is a little peculiar. How many of us have blasted some mideast whitetail hunter using a corn feeder but own 15 versions of HOOCHIEMAMMAINHEAT elk calls to bring a rutting bull in? Somehow the horny bull is differnt than a hungry whitetail? Or scent blocker, camo, noise reducing fleece, water holes, trail cams, long range rifles, optics, gps, 4 wheelers, horses, blinds, scouts, guides, buddies, ect. The list is endless. All of those things have one in common....TO GIVE AN ADVANTAGE. Whatever floats your boat do it so long as it is legal.

The only non-hypocrite would be the guy who hunts naked with a spear as long as he leaves his spear at home.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911you beat me back here to make that same point! how about all you guys crying about taking rifle elk season out of the rut, you guys can't kill a big bull if he's not giving you his location? rofl!

you got me hook line and sinker with your post lol

I dont know why any one would want to diss another persons method of hunting especially if it is legal.

Killing 180 to 220 inch bucks every year over bait is plain nonsense especially in Utah.

I don't use bait but if i had a place to use it I sure as heck would. having as many options in your bag of tricks only helps you fill your frezzer.

I also wont diss a hunter who kills big bucks on private land every year. I might be jelous and think he sure as heck doesnt work as hard as me but I wont get on the net and say what a pos worthless shooter he is.

As for the whitetail TV shows comment! Here is my response

I don't like them either so I just switch the channel. So making responses like "that isn't real hunting" only makes you look in my eyes like someone that has only hunted in Utah. It makes you look ignorant. I have been all over the united states. some places just don't have the public access like we have here. So they might only be able to hunt a tree stand, They might only be able to attract a deer by using bait. So if it came down to tagging a buck with bait or watching your neighbor tag one with bait. I would use the bait.

Also bait just isn't salt, or licks, or feeders. it could be a whole field of what ever you want to plant. It doesn't only help you out with your hunt but it could also benefit your neighbors by increasing the feed to support more deer.

So bait defiantly has its place

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

sw I think we're all hypocrites in one way or another. I've sat on water, hunted elk in the rut,and im going to hunt out of a stand overlooking a big biologic field.
to say those whitetail guys aren't hunters, well I'll give you an honest opinion on that next month. im just hoping I don't fall asleep from boredom! sitting in one spot starring at the other side of the field might just be the hardest hunting I've ever done!

I hear ya every time I try and sit and wait in a stand my narcolepsy takes over and I end up taking a cold nap. Not for me but hey it keeps that style of hunter out of my areas

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I hunt back east and out west and a few places in between. No hypocrisy here. I love all hunting and am not self centered enough to criticize how someone else hunts. Don't judge a man until you have walked in his hunting boots. I agree, the I am the only real hunter attitude is born from ignorance.

I had to comment on this one. I am from Utah and I am a die hard mule deer guy. Spot and stalk archery hunting is my favorite way to hunt. I have had in the past similar negative feelings about whitetails, treestands, bait, eastern hunts, private property, etc. A few years ago I got the chance to go to Kansas to hunt whitetails. My wifes sister moved out there and a friend from her church invited me to hunt his property. He owns 4 properties and the largest one is probably 150 acres. I thought what the heck I will give it a try. I did not think I would like treestand hunting but I wanted a whitetail with a bow so I decided it was worth the trip. Heck all I had to buy was the tag and a plane ticket. On some of the properties and on some of the stands he had placed corn as bait. I figured it was cheating but heck it was his property so I went along with it.
That was almost 3 years ago and after logging about 13 days and an average of 10 hours per day in those stands (over 100 hours over the past two seasons) I have seen a grand total of 5 does and one spike buck come in and eat the corn that he placed out there. Now don't get me wrong I saw plenty of whitetail and I shot bucks from treestands both years but neither were on stands with bait and from what I saw very few deer are interested in the corn during the daylight hours.
People out west think that treestand hunting is so easy and all you do is climb up there and the deer come in. That just is not true. I strategically placed stands the day before both of my whitetails were killed based on travel patterns I had seen. Just because there is bait or a food plot does not mean anything is guarenteed. In fact from what I saw it means very little.
I have shot a mature elk, two antelope, one mule deer, a turkey, and a black bear already this year and as a western bowhunter I can tell you that I can't wait for November 6th which is the day I fly back to Kansas for 10 days to hunt whitetails. I think sometimes we are jealous of things we know nothing about. If you have never hunted whitetails from a treestand don't knock it. I am telling you it is a blast. You sit there and hear leaves crunching behind your stand and footsteps approaching and you never know if it is a buck, a doe, a squirrel, a turkey, a coyote, I even had a bobcat walk by last year. Watching animals that don't know you are there is awesome. It makes you really appreciate these awesome animals that we all love. If it is a food plot that keeps them close by so be it. It is an awesome experience and that is what I look for in my hunting trips. Encounters with the animals is what it is all about. I would never hunt a high fence ranch but treestands and food plots in my experience still leave plenty of challenges for any bowhunter or even rifle hunters. If you don't believe me you should try it.
I personally would not do "canned" hunts of any kind, because everything I love about hunting involves the challenge of it. If the first time I hunted whitetails I killed a 170" buck over a feeder on the first night I would have never gone back to hunt whitetails again. It would have offered me nothing; but instead I have sat for over 100 hours in treestands to kill a 120" and a 134" buck and because of that I can't wait to go back in November. There is a place for food plots, water holes, and even feeders in hunting certain animals as long as it leaves the hunter a serious challenge. It is no different than hunting a mule deer at 10,000 feet in his bedding or feeding area. You are still taking advantage of the deers weakness.

Just my opinion

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

My opinion is hunting is called hunting for a reason, it is not called baiting or anything else. I love hunting because I work hard to go out there and find an animal that I will be proud of harvesting. I love the feeling of the challenge of it all, I dont think if i just sat over bait I would get the rush or that it would be a challenge for me, and I would enjoy doing it as much.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom