Anti-Hunting Bill Passes CA Senate

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
Columbus, OH) ?California Senate Bill 1221, a bill that will ban the use of hounds to hunt black bears and bobcats, passed the state?s Senate today. The passage of SB 1221 by the senate casts a dark cloud over the future of all hunting and wildlife management in California. Senate Bill 1221 passed with a vote of 22 to 15 in favor.

The bill, which is sponsored by the radical animal rights group Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), triggered a strong outpouring of opposition from California sportsmen and women, plus sportsmen?s organizations, in the state and nationwide.

The U.S. Sportsmen?s Alliance (USSA) denounced this retaliatory wildlife management bill that was created when HSUS could not have a state game commissioner removed for his legal mountain lion hunt. As the bill moved forward from introduction and through the hearing process, hundreds of opponents wearing orange ?NO on SB 1221? buttons also packed the corridors of the capital to let their Senators know they opposed this anti-hunting bill.

?The California Senate today chose retribution and revenge over sound science-based wildlife management,? explained Evan Heusinkveld, USSA?s director of state services. ?Despite having a Fish and Game Commission explicitly designed to handle these questions free from the politics of the statehouse, the California Senate voted in favor of a hunting ban.?

USSA has been working with the Masters of Foxhounds Association, California Houndsmen for Conservation and the California Outdoor Heritage Alliance to defeat SB 1221.

Fast Facts on SB 1221

* The bill would outlaw the use of hounds to hunt bears and bobcats.

* Hunting bears and bobcats with hounds has been legal since the state formally organized a game commission and established game management and hunting laws.

* Hounds are actually used in wildlife management practices and projects.

* Hunters using hounds to pursue bears actually take fewer bears than is recommended by the state?s game department.

This bill is being pushed by the radical animal rights group?the Humane Society of the United States?the same group that has pushed anti-farming and puppy mill bills in California in the past.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I knew we were royally skeerewed on this one.
California was one of only a handful of states still pursuing bears with hounds.
I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did..

:-(

This is probably the last bear I'll ever see treed...

0011.jpg

Talk about a screwed up society when gay marriage is being touted as politically and socially correct and hound hunting is being banned! (nothing against all you gay dudes. I'm showing my political correctness!)
We're making good time but we're headed the wrong way folks!
Zeke

New it would come to this in this state that is ran by idiots. The great thing about the houndsmen and their dogs was that if the bear was not what they were looking for they just pull the dogs and go and find another. Also on numerous occasions when I would have problem bears they would run their dogs on them for me and they would stay out of the trash for some time

I figure we have 5 years and NO DOGS will be allowed as a tool to hunt anything in this state.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Did they drop the "mammal" from the bill? Is it truly only bears and bobcats? If so.... I know alot of new fox and coon hunters.

DFG authorized the shooting of a mountain lion in a high end shopping mall in Santa Monica, Ca. yesterday. The "nature fakers" are SOOO pissed!

If you want a taste of why this state has so many problems getting hunting, "common sense" issues passed, read the comments from the story.

It is absolutely hilarious to see where most people's minds are on this kind of thing.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

The anti's are chipping away at CA hunting heritage. Just another bad law based on emotion and not facts.

Eldorado

In the face of human tragedy (If/when that happens, again, God forbid) your state will again place animals over human life.

you guys are f'ed.

Next time a lion or a bear hurts or kills someone and the authorities call on a houndsman to track down the culprit, I hope the houndsman tells them to F off!

Eel

This bill was pushed by the Humain society of the U.S. A group of animal lovers that rival PITA. Their president stated he pushed this bill in CA. due to a good chance of getting it passed. He also has said that after CA. they plan to carry their program to other states.

RELH

>Talk about a screwed up society
>when gay marriage is being
>touted as politically and socially
>correct and hound hunting is
>being banned! (nothing against all
>you gay dudes. I'm showing
>my political correctness!)
>We're making good time but we're
>headed the wrong way folks!
>
>Zeke

Those poor gerbils,you would think the humane and peta would do something about their abuse.

They tried it in Idaho several years back and were soundly told to go back to California. But they will keep trying.

If these people were on wagon trains we wouldn't have west coast.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom