anti frac bill

justr_86

Long Time Member
I was told that suwa is trying to make it illegal to frac in Utah. They are saying that frac's mess with natural aquafers therefore ruining fresh groundwater. I have not had time to research it yet, but if its true then oil and gas exploration in Utah will be no more.

Hope its not true but I thought I would throw it out there. Maybe someone has a little time and can do some research on it.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Would be bad precedent. One of my biggest cases involes a frac sand mining operation...

I did a little search and came up with nothing. I even checked SUWA's site and there was nothing there. I suppose we had better get some real info before we beat on a dead horse. I dont't think (I Hope) that SUWA has that kind of power.

It might not be SUWA. I will try to figure a little more out but it seems to be a big deal around my office and in the field.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Any particular reason I might want to "frac" anywhere?

If I knew what it was, something fun or profitable, I might have some more understanding.

I talked to my boss he said AL Gore is behind it.

A frac is after they drill a well they go down and perforate the casing (pipe that runs the depth of the well.) They pump water and sand out into the formation to "fracture" the earth to open up the zone and increase production.

We frac well below and underground freshwater sources. The freshwater sources vary from between 10 ft to about 500 if i'm not mistaken. We frac starting as shallow as 4000 ft to 12000 ft. sometimes deeper depending on the zones and production method.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Not to mention the several thousand feet of cement that serves as an issolation barrier betweeen the hydrocarbons and ground water sources. If fracture stilulating is made illegal that would be the end of natural gas production in the entire United States. I know of very few natural gas fields in the US that are able to produce naturally without being stimulated. Hopefully the major players in the business like Halliburton, BJ, and Schlumberger are puting their lobbyists to work in Washington.

Fresh water aquifers are usually shallower than a couple thousand feet and the gas producing formations are usually deeper than 5000 feet. There are usually 2 string of casing (steel pipe) that are run in the ground and cemented in place to isolate the ground water. There is very little possibility of contamination.

The reglators should focus on ensuring that companies follow the industry best practises when it comes to isolation and ensuring that there is good cement and casing in place.

Even if you are not directly involved the economies of western states is heavily dependent on the oil and gas industry. So this legislation affects lots of people. Most people read the wording and it talks about protecting water and the environment and think that's a good thing but it makes no sense what soever

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-10 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]There is an anti frac bill. It's being pushed by some folks in the US legislature. One of the reasons behind it is they want Haliburton and Schulmberger to give up their "recipe" (a trade secret) for what chemicals they use when they frac. It'd be like Coke or Pepsi giving up their recipe though. But, they want to know what's in it since they're putting it into the ground.

OH...and btw...In Exxon's buyout deal with XTO, Exxon has put it in the papers that if the anti-frac bill goes through the buyout is OFF.

I know about the Xto Exxon deal.

Doesn't the production companies engineers design the frac? Thats what I was told. The frac companies just have the personnel and equipment but get told what to do when with what by the companies consultants and engineers.

Xto fracs alot different that dominion did using the same companies. In the same field.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

The frac jobs are designed by the production engineers in conjunction with the company providing the service. They are all essencially the same as far as chemicals the only variance is in the fluid volumes and the amount of sand per each job. The main ingredient in most frac jobs is benzene. It's what breaks the formation and allows the other fluids and sand to enter the zone to complete the job. Benzene is nasty in every aspect and it would be very bad for any ground water source but the simple fact is it can't get into the ground water with all the isolation barriers between the hydrocarbon source and the ground water. No matter how this shakes out I'm sure the oil and gas industry will find a way to adapt and overcome just like it always has. I would even be willing to bet that the big players have already come up with an alternative way to get it done. There are some VERY smart people working in this industry.

I think what you are referring to is the EPA looking to revamp the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). If EPA gets what they want, they will require companies to divulge trade secret chemicals. EPA cites situations (and I think this was a fracing crew) where people were exposed to trade secret chemicals. Health care providers could not get information on the chemicals from the manufacturers to treat the exposed people (including a nurse at the hospital). If these allegations are true, these companies were stupid (if not criminal). The worst part of this is if companies are required to divulge trade secrets, they lose their competetive advantage and will be beaten out by overseas companies knocking off their formulas. Another way we are destroying our economy piece by piece. Better hone those hunting skills...we may need them to survive.

HAZMAT

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom