Antelope Wyoming 78

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
Just curious what some of you guys on this site that have some knowledge of this area think. Last year I drew 78 scouted it and then got busted up so I couldn't hunt. Wyoming was great on refund with points after a great deal of paperwork and calls to Game and Fish.

I'm now having several questions about whether I want to reapply there.
1. Buck to doe ratio is pretty low for the area 32/100.
2. Trophy quality according to some of my research has been severally hurt by the drought.
3. Game Commission lists the herd at about 2/3 ideal carrying capacity.

I just was wanting some knowledge from somebody that knows the area I wandered the area for 4 days last summer. I never did see what I would consider a trophy buck but it was hot as all get out and they were pretty hard to spot in the shade. What do you think?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-08 AT 00:38AM (MST)[p]Cornhusker;
I would look somewhere else then #78. That far North you will not find the amount of animals that you have in the central and Southern areas. I know the drought has severly hurt the S. Dakota area not to far from there.
I would look for areas that run near Hwy# 80 on both sides, more animals and more chances of getting a good one. If you are willing to pay a trespass fee, look towards the East part of the state. 90% private land but great odds on drawning. There are still ranches that will charge a reasonable fee for lopes if you do your homework. Most city Chamber of commerce will have lists of ranchers & phone numbers for you to contact to set up a private ranch hunt and know what the fee will be. also contact the main office of Game & Fish in Cheyenne and find out the phone number for the local game warden that works the area you may want to hunt. He will be able to give you some good leads about animals, ranches and fees in his area.
If you pick area #8, give me a PM and I will tell you one ranch to stay away from. I used to hunt it when it was great, but new owner and they have shot the animals out by booking too many hunters due to greed.
If it is a good chance at a trophy you want, Carbon County, Rawlins area and the red desert area are good. Draw odds are piss poor and if you hunt private property, they will charge you big time at most ranches. alot of it is sewed up by outfitters.

RELH

I usuallly hunt near Lusk or Newcastle on private ranches pay $200.00 no big deal. Most of the ranches I've been hunting last 15 years are allowing too many hunters. I can't find anything even if I'm patient over 14". One ranch when I first started hunting on him allowed 10 hunters last year he had 26 that really draws the quality down. I've tried 57,60,61 through the years never had the luck to draw maybe I will some day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom