antelope units?

B

bbdawg

Hey guys! me and a couple of my buddys are lookin for a decent antelope unit closer to the utah border.. were new at this and are wondering if anyone had any tips to share? thanks guys

The first thing needed to even begin to help you is to know how many PPs you each have. It appears NR tags are being cut down in the southern part of the state for goats and deer because of last winter. That may make it a lot harder to draw tags this year than before without some or more PPs than units previously required.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]Southwest (SW) Wyoming has really taken a hit. The deer hunt was poor last fall and the antelope hunt was disappointing. My buddies and I saw multiple bucks but the quality was dramatically down compared to previous years. IMO There were too many tags issued (both resident and non-resident) last year given the winter conditions of 10-11. It was obvious that the antelope herd #'s were down and horn growth was severely stunted. It's been a mild winter thus far however, the temps are still cold. If you're looking to "hunt" antelope there will be plenty of antelope in SW Wyoming regardless of the unit. However, if you're looking to "trophy hunt" antelope; SW Wyoming is not the place.

+1 on WyBighorn's comments. It's been discussed at length in previous posts. As stated, quantity is fair in spots, but quality is going to take some time to come back.

bb,
From my experience with Wyoming Antelope tells me that the further north and east you are willing to go in the state, the better the odds of drawing. It is also true that the further east you go in Wyoming the more likely you are to run into private land issues.
If you are just starting this game it is very unlikely that you will draw a tag (without preference points) unless you get real lucky.

Hey guys we are lookin for a unit close to Lyman my buddy has family up there that owns a bed an breakfast and will let us stay for no cost.. I've been lookin up odds on here and it says for most of the units in the 90's have almost 100% drawing odds? Is that true or not?

All I can tell ya is the last few years I've averaged every other year. Some years back I went 8 years in a row without getting a tag, and that was when there were a bunch of antelope. Every year I would just about cry. I live in Evanston, so I'm in the area you're talking about. Residents don't run off points for antelope, so I'm not sure how the draw chances work for you.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]The four southwest units he is talking about near Lyman are darn near impossible to draw as a NR without PPs. Here is last years regular random draw odds with no PPs:

Unit 94---14 tags (4.6%)
Unit 95--- 9 tags (3.4%)
Unit 99--- 6 tags (6.3%)
Unit 100-- 6 tags (3.8%)

Dang TG----

Slim and None odd's at best. ha

I have done 99-muzzy a couple times in the past if that interests anyone?

I have got no problem sharing intel via a PM.

Robb

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom