antelope unit 61

C

canyonman

I have a doe tag for unit 61 that I'm hoping to use this weekend. I've never been to that area of Wyoming so I don't know what to expect. Is it better in the north or the south? I see that the southern part is checker board. Is it hard to tell where you are in the checker board? I'm looking toward the north with it's solid BLM land, but are there goats close to the small mountain range in the north? It's just a doe tag but any info you could throw my way would be awesome.
Thanks!

Most of the private would be UPRR land.They don't care if you hunt on it,just stay off the RR right-of-way.Don't know much more about unit 61.I have hunted 60 before.Should be able to find goats out there no problem.

Thanks a bunch, I thought it might be railroad land. I'm looking forward to it.

Please be careful with that checkerboard in the south end of 61. It's not railroad and you'll need to get permission to hunt there. For a doe, you would be OK to go north of Rawlins on highway 287 and come in on the east side of the unit into the solid BLM lands.

Yeah, you'll be fine up north . . . If you can't find a doe in that country then you need to find something else to do . . . You'll have a better understanding of why I say this when you get back.

ICM is right, the checkerboard land pattern in the southern part of 61, and all around the Rawlins area requires permission from the landowner. The vast majority of the private in the checkerboard here was sold to private individuals/ranches years and years ago. UPResources held on to some of the stock driveway parcels but those are now owned by Anadarko Petroleum which merged w/ UPResources several years back. Even in these areas, the lessee has the right to control public access.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up going north of Rawlins into the solid BLM around Bairoil. And yep, I had no problem finding a doe. There was plenty of antelope running around. My hunt lasted about three hours.
It's too bad all that BLM land in the southern part part of 61 is locked up out of reach. Oh well, It was neat country and I think I will do it again.

> Thanks for all the help.
>I ended up going north
>of Rawlins into the solid
>BLM around Bairoil. And yep,
>I had no problem finding
>a doe. There was plenty
>of antelope running around. My
>hunt lasted about three hours.
>
> It's too bad all that
>BLM land in the southern
>part part of 61 is
>locked up out of reach.
>Oh well, It was neat
>country and I think I
>will do it again.

Really it's not all locked up. If you have public access to the public ground via a public road, you can hunt that square mile. With today's GPS units, you can be sure to stay far enough from the borders to be just fine.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom