Antelope- South Dakota, Oglala indian reservation info please

M

megalomaniac

I've got a friend who lives in South Dakota and has invited me to come antelope hunting. We had originally planned to hunt the Northwest units on walk-in areas, but he recently met a kind gentleman who offered us to hunt his private land in 11a for free. His ranch is around 4000 acres, has quite a few goats, maybe a couple of 13"ers, but nothing spectacular.

He did state that the trophy quality on the Oglala reservation may be better, and one can buy a tag for that reservation for $250 (+guide fees, of course). Anyone out there with any experience on the reservation? Would it be worth our while to purchase an additional tag (thereby allowing us to shoot 2 bucks on the same trip- one private land, the other on the reservation)?

Shot dogs on the res last month saw some decent lopes mainly 13" bucks nothing I would pay $250.00 plus guide for. They aren't as organized as you would think with their wildlife you could run into
a lot of others paying as well. Talk to some other ranchers in the area most are decent people who will allow access for little or no trespass fee. Just my thoughts.

Best of Luck and have fun.
Rick

The draw closed yesterday morning and the results are available, with no leftovers in 11. Did you get drawn. If not you may not have a choice! Most of the reservations get about $125 per day. Not much experience in 11, but the low tag numbers would not be indicative of a "great" hunt?

Yes, sorry... technically it's the 'pineridge reservation'

I drew the 11a tag as a NR.

Here's the real deal... apparantely, the rancher actually leases a portion of the tribal lands each year for ranching (approx 11,000 acres). According to my friend, this land is tribal land, but not contiguous with the majority of the reservation, and is approx 3 miles from his ranch.

This rancher is the 'registered guide' for this portion of the tribal land he leases. He states this was done so that no other guides could carry people on this property. He doesn't/hasn't hunted/guided it in the past, but would be willing to 'guide' or accompany us on the tribal land for free.

He states there are 16" goats there, but once I heard that part of the story, the whole thing seems more suspect :)

So, in essence, we get the buck+doe tag on private property (hopefully get a 13"er), and with an additional $250 to the tribe, get another buck (but not worth the extra money to me if there isn't a chance at a 14"+)

I have hunted antelope every year over the past 5 (in different areas of SD) and never had to take a 13". There should be a couple of 14"+ there depending on pressure. Hunt hard and you will find one. I have not personally shot a 16"+ in SD, but I have seen a few. Remember there are very few 16"+ antlelope in the "North" period!

>
I have hunted antelope every year over the past 5 (in different areas of SD) and never had to take a 13". There should be a couple of 14"+ there depending on pressure. Hunt hard and you will find one. I have not personally shot a 16"+ in SD, but I have seen a few. Remember there are very few 16"+ antlelope in the "North" period!
>

Do you have any experience in 24a/Dewey County that you would be willing to share? Our group is experienced Whitetail, Elk, and Mule deer hunters but this is the first Antelope trip.

A local source informed me last winter was hard on the herd in the area, and the decrease in tags this year seems to confirm it. Are we in for a difficult hunt and possibly tag soup, or should we be able to fill our tags while seeing a few groups of Antelope?

I have not hunted up in that county/unit. If my memory is correct that is primarily Cheyenne Indian Reservation. The winters over the last 2 years have been tough west river and north of I90. That county is always an easy draw. The densities are lower than any other county, and the Indian issue (?). Most years I am on SD there is some problem with the herds, yet I have always brought home a mid-70 incher. My primary area is not one of the top half-dozen! Hunt hard and you will find them. Take a look at the density map to get you started www.gfp.sd.gov/hunting/big-game/antelope/default.aspx near the bottom of the page.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom