antelope recipes

BigPig

Very Active Member
Help me out here I've got a bunch of antelope meat and I need to make room in the freezer for deer.

My favorite is antelope fajitas. Slice the loper meat into 2"x1" strips and brown with fajita seasoning. Add bell peppers and onions. Slap it all into a tortilla with avacado dip with lots of jalapenos.

:)

I think i'll ask the "snake" to make some tonight. :)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-04 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]Ill second Crazy's fajita motion, and Vinnys beer advice to wash it down with. Works well with just about any game meat for that matter. I just use lots of salt, pepper, chili powder and a little red pepper. I think just plain old antelope steaks are great if the meat is taken care of properly, and not overcooked on the grill... maybe I just got lucky... although lots of folks would beg to differ, and use the give it to your neighbor recipie.

Thanks guys. I ate the tenderloins last night. One problem, my roommate also shot a goat too. We have all the meat packed into the freezer together. One set of tenderloins tasted awesome and the other was pretty strong. It tasted like it smelled, pretty rank. I gotta think that was my roommates as he shot his goat 3 or 4 times. But who knows? I'll try the fajita recipe. Gonna throw some in the crockpot tonight ans see how that goes too.

BigPig;
My wife prepares antelope like she does deer. Our family prefers antelope over most deer due to it's milder flavor. The key to good antelope is the field care. I have the animal dressed out and hide off within 15-20 min. of dropping him and this allowes the meat to cool at a faster rate. We have never had bad tasting antelope, and alot of my friends now love it also. a few were timid about eating it, because of the stories they heard about how strong it tastes. Except for the liver, which is damn strong.
Did you dress your animal out quicker then your roommate, that may be the reason for the difference in taste.

RELH

I have to agree with RELH... getting them cooled out will help with flavor, but not all the time. One of the srtongest antelope that I have ever eaten was killed and on ice in less than 30 min... but... if you shoot em up or run em 9 times out of 10 they taste pretty strong.

My favorite is to marinate in chipolte sauce, sear on the grill for about 1-2 min on each side and then wrap in tin foil add the remianing marinade and cook untill about medium well. Turns out awesome every time. I use roasts however, but i'm sure steaks would work just as well if thats all you got. The ticket is to not over cook em. Antelope ranks right up there at the top of the "list" of wild meat with me. One thing about antelope is that the meat seems to "take" marinade very well.

I came up with one last night that was awesome. I took a few round steaks and put them in the crock pot with a small bottle of Pace Picante sauce. Then I shredded the meat up and made tacos out of it. Sure was awesome. Again this was my antelope. My roomate made some burgers out of his ground meat and again it was rank. I think his meat is destined for the jerky rack. There really was no difference in the amount of time before skinning and cooling, although mine did hang for one extra day before processing. But I doubt that made that much difference. It's not diet either as both animals were shot on the same ranch, less than a mile from eachother. The only thing that makes sense is that my roomate's animal required multiple shots to bring down. Anyhow, I'm glad mine tastes good. I have it carefully separated in the freezer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom