antelope question

P

PLP

I found a nice buck with 2 does and a fawn today.They were 400yds from a waterhole.I did wind up spooking them after I crawled within bow range..After some more scouting I discovered 3 other water sources in the area.I have never hunted antelope before.So my questions are..

What are the odds that he/they will be in the same area a month from now?I'm curious what their range is.

Would you hold tight on this one hole they are coming to provided more scouting trips prove they like this hole,or slip around and find them then put a stalk on...

There are not many goats in this area..So I have to concentrate on this group,or find another hunting area all together..Just trying to make a game plan here..thanks.

Through the years I have spent a large amount of time in and around antelope country as I try to photograph them.

I have noticed some trends that seem to hold true. Some bucks, that I have observed for more than three years are seen each year at the same waterhole. Most of those I have nicknamed, but others seem to roam a bit more and you might see them at three or four different waterholes, depending on the time of year.

Antelope in many cases can and will travel long distances between their winter and summer grounds, but most will stay within a relatively small area once they hit their summer gourds and most stay in that area until after the rut in Oct.

If you have three waterholes in a small area and say you place a blind at the best water hole, most or many of them will begin using the other waterholes, but if you leave your blind there and they get used to it being there, they will begin to come back and use it on a regular basis.

Here are but a couple of the bucks I have seen over the past three years at the same waterholes.

This is a buck my son and friend call Pitdhrfork. I have seen him at two different waterhole, within 2 miles of each other for three different years.

188.jpg

And here's another I call "The Warrior", as he is the most aggressive buck, He runs off many a buck much larger than himself. He is on tough antelope dude!

94.jpg

Have a good one BB

Thanks!!I appreciate the reply!There are no other antelope to be seen for miles here.I think my game plan is to go back and slip around until I find them again,and watch them to try and get a pattern.I think I can hide in the weeds under the windmill.I have heard that pronghorn tend to stay put during the night..Is this true?Then they start moving at daylight to water,and during the day as needed?Yesterday was only 90 degrees.It was 100 for several days before this.Im real excited to know there is a chance I can find him in the same area.I was unsure how big their range was in the summer.I can go after them in august..before the rut.Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-12 AT 01:57PM (MST)[p]My advice is now that you know where those water holes are to stay out of the area until it's time to hunt or slip into the area ASAP and put a blind at one or two of the best ones that will still have water and then don't go back until it's time to hunt. They will be in the area and the less human activity they have to cope with the better chance they will be there come opening day.

They are in the area for a reason. They'll stay in the general area unless they get pushed out.

Take Topgun's advice and quit trying to get within bow range.

Zeke

PS: other pronghorns might get bumped into this area by over zealous and careless scouting of other hunters.

I know..I KNOW..lol..What happened was I saw 2 does,and slipped in to just take a picture..Then the fawn and big buck jumped up from just out of sight..I am from the east,and I am learning how to do things over here..I know better than to call to turkeys before season..and really I know better than to slip in on animals I intend to hunt like that..I didnt intend on hunting them because I didnt know the buck was there until I saw him jump up,and saw how big he was.I wish I hadn't now,honestly didnt think I would get busted either,but I learned a lesson that when you see one there is most likely more you dont see....Kinda got excited seeing an antelope since I had been walking 12 miles,and driven twice that far during the day,and they were the only ones I found..lol..

I am going to go back to the area the weekend before season,and spend the day trying to find them again,and watch from a LOOONG distance..The water sources are windmills,so I doubt they will go dry.I guess thats whats bothering me the most.There are plenty of them..every 1/2 mile or so..It is extremely dry tho,and I hear when the grass is this dry,they depend on water sources more..Especially during the rut.Being there are plenty of mills..it makes me debate if I should stick to the one I saw them near,or slip around and find them,and stalk them..or once I find them just slip to the nearest mill and wait..OR set up at the fence crossing.. OR OR..lol..

Is it common for them to drink all times of the day,or certain times?I have heard they doont move very much at night..and if I find them in the evening they should be in the same area at daylight..any experience on this?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom