Antelope Question

F

Flatlandr

I am currently trying to plan a Antelope hunt and have never hunted this critter before. As I look over all the hunt areas I notice a wide variation in elevations.

My question is, do Antelope hang out at certain elevations, do I need to include elevation as part of my process of eliminating hunt areas?

Thanks,
Mark

Mostly you'll find success in a sagebrush desert type environment ,but, I have seen them clear up in the pines and taller "grassy" mountain areas. Bottom line, don't rule one area out just because of elevation, you might be surprised.
Scout, scout, scout.

studpile - Thanks for the reply. Trust me, if I lived close enough to scout it out I would but, I suspect there ain't a lope within 800 miles of me. So I must rely on the good folks here on MM to help me...Guess in a way I am scouting.

Thanks again,
Mark

Antelope like wide open spaces.This is how they escape their prey is buy outrunning it and they need all the space they can get.They rely on their eyesight and speed to get away.
Wyoming has got a lot of public area to hunt in the central and south central area of the state and lots of sage brush flats.

I once saw a good buck at almost 10,000 feet up while elk hunting one year. We came around a corner in almost a foot of snow and here is a buck antelope standing in the middle of the road. He was out of place up there and kinda freaked me out seeing one up that high.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-05 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]Your first question to answer is are you seeking big horns or just a quality hunt. If you just want a quality hunt, look at Unit 23 in Wyoming, near Gillette. You will get drawn -- the unit is usually undersubscribed due to the large number of permits allocated. You can get a list of land owners who let you pay them a trespass fee to hunt their property. Call several of these people. I paid $100/gun to hunt a 1280 acre ranch for two days. Other such deals are available. My son and I both took pronghorn easily, my son a 13.5" buck. I took a doe, but could have held out for a buck just didn't do so.

If you want big horns, you will need to determine where the big pronghorn heads are known to be taken . . . and then get in line with all the other trophy hunters who are building points to hunt in those desirable units. Such units may have a 7% or less probability of draw. Speaking for myself, I would rather hunt than build points.

Generally, Wyoming has far more pronghorn than any other state. Arizona is known to be a good location to seek large horns. Note that the Wyoming applications are due in early in the year, maybe late January or early February, I don't remember. Thus, you should call the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game in Cheyenne and ask them to mail you their application booklet soon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom