Antelope Points 0 vs 3 vs 6

desperatehills

Very Active Member
I have 6 pp for antelope and my buddy has 0. Last year he had enough points to carry me to a Oregon antelope tag. He killed his first antelope and had a blast. He would love to hunt antelope again but would rather not wait 13 years. My question is... Is a 3 point antelope hunt that much worst than a 6 point hunt in Wyoming? Is a 3 point hunt that much better than a 0 point hunt? I think some zero point hunts in Wyoming are better than most hunts in Oregon so maybe we should find a good hunt to put down as our 2nd choice. I am one point shy of max so the best few units are out for me anyway. We are not looking to kill the biggest buck in Wyoming but we would like a hunt where we can look over lots of animals, even if we shoot 13"ers. Thanks

You could hunt most units with three points and the special fee. Even 3 points on the regular draw will get you some very good units. i would rather hunt with my buddy than by myself.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-13 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p]There are plenty of units you could draw with a 3PP average and kill a good goat. You just need the time and to use your boots instead of a vehicle to find them. We drew last year with a 2.5PP average and got one that was 78"+ and mine was right at 80".

I would think that almost any hunt in WY for goats even the easy to draw ones are as good if not better than what you can find in Or. that being said there are some really good hunts to be had for 3 points. Of course the top hunts will take more.

If you pony up the money for the special you could get into a really good hunt... But even the average/below average units are really good...

+1 for the good info you've received so far. There are several 3 point units (especially in the special draw as noted) where you could have a great hunt and very likely end up with something better than a 13 incher. As a rule, I don't think theres much difference between the units you could draw with 3 points vs 6 points - especially if you're willing to spend a little time and effort at it.

Dido to current info you have recieved. The only problem with most zero point and some 1 point units are access/private property. Just find a few good unit you can draw with 3 points and research the public land vs. privat land. Great antelope in several 3 point untis and usally one or two good ones in most units. Scout a few days early and get it done before the other hunters get it or get them spocked. Best of luck.

I had 4 points and my buddy had 1 PP. We drew an area that took at least two. With 2.5 average were drew and had a great hunt. We both took very nice goats.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom