Antelope nuggets!!

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-10 AT 04:56PM (MST)[p]4 years to draw the tag
1 plane ticket
3 hour ride one way to hunting spot
5 minutes sighting in the rifles
1.5 hour hunt
The cost for one doe fawn antelope nugget $$priceless$$.

Meet the posse, adamsoa and his kids, and my girls. What a rifle hunt? :D who new? :eek: Is the buckmaster a sell out?:p The answer to the last question is no. I actually do hunt with a rifle ;-)
DSC01706.jpg

After we sighted in our guns it was off to hunting. The only problem was we got a late start and 35 out of the 60 tag holders had already tagged their antelope. So finding a herd where the antelope didn't run off at the sight of our vehicle was only the first hurdle to over come.

we saw lots of prairie dogs, antelopes and even a coyote all in a short couple hour hunt.

After a few blown opportunities I found a herd about 600 yards away from the road. It also had a hill we could hide behind and cut the distance down to about 250 yards. The antelope didn't know what was in store right? Wrong! Have you ever tried to stalk anything with one big dude, and 4 little munchkins following behind all laughing at pretty much anything?

Well we finally made it to the last bit of the stalk and everyone had to get on their hands and knees for the last 50 or more yards. Once we all peeked over the hill the antelope started bunching up and moving around. Then it was off to the races or at least off to the races out to 340 yards. Did I say they all look small at 340 yards?

Then I picked out a straggler lagging behind that would offer a clean shot with out hitting a buck. Settled the cross hairs and the .270 mag belched out a thunders crack that was followed by a ear piercing whomp! I passed the gun to adamsoa and his 380 yard shot was a mere duplicate. 2 shots 2 hunters same gun and identical results. Whomp! It was high fives and cheers from the kids!

Here is a few photos before it was off to the races to retrieve the downed antelope.
mischunts2010008-1.jpg

mischunts2010020.jpg

Here are the rest of the photos.
mischunts2010050.jpg

mischunts2010049-1.jpg

In the end it was a fantastic hunt and the kids didn't know or care that the buckmaster and the adamsoa were utter failures at doe antelope hunting. :'( The kids all loved it and my oldest cant wait till she can hunt one. My youngest is now even catching the hunting fever like her big sis. have a look at her smile have you ever seen one larger?

My fawn ended up scoring a mere 35lbs after we gutted it and adamsoa's ended up scoring 40lbs. O well the antelope nuggets we had were pretty darn good if I say so myself. Maybe even as good as tiny veil cutlets! :9 My oldest also helped me turn the rest of the 10lbs into hamburger. Maybe next time this antelope rookie can shoot a record old doe instead. :7

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

Great pics Scott. My kids are still psyched about the hunt and cant wait to go again. Ben keeps telling everyone that we went cantelope hunting and got some. This is the stuff that they remember.

respect my authorita

That looks like a fun hunt! Congrats guys! I cant wait till my boys are a little older and we can go do one.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

That would have been awesome too watch this hunt play out from the next ridge over. I can image the difficulty involved with the kids in tow... Awesome!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom