Antelope Muzzle length

JeremyKS

I am trying to score an odd looking antelope. Anybody know an average muzzle length on a antelope? Length from eye to tip of nose?

JKS,

I am going off of memory here, but I think I remember reading it is 8". I did measure a mature antelope's ear length and it was 6 1/2". I also read an antelope's eye has a 4" circumference. I hope this helps.

I just ran out in the garage and measured a medium bucks muzzle that I have mounted and it is 8"

I would be super careful using animal body parts to use as a reference for field judging antlers/horns! Just like humans there are a lot of different confirmations. Also, if you view an animal from different angles the body parts may appear different lengths?

Good point, look carefully at the whole package, if you have time. The two I have right above me on the wall are 14.5" and 15". The shorter one has a 8.5" nose-eye, and the longer horned one is 8.0". Both are 7" bases.

The one I shot today with my muzzleloader was a dwarf! Heavy 13"er with high prongs, but only a 7" nose-eye, and dressed out at 80#. He looked great out there at a distance, and it cost him dearly. At least all his does can find a real man now. :)

The ear length on all three is pretty standard at 6 inches.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom