Antelope meat

E

Elkanddeer98

Is antelope meat any good? I have two doe tags and I was wondering if it's any good.

My son shot a buck on opening day. I BBQ several stakes and hamburgers and it was fantastic. I boned it out and put it on ice for a couple days. After I cut it up I put all the hamburger meat in a cooler with ice and I salted it down. I added enough water to cover the meat and let it set for about 3 hours. The salt helped to draw the blood out. After that I rinsed and put it in pillow cases and hung it over night. We ground it after it drained.

It is very good. If you leave any fat or blood in the meat you will be sorry. Ron

Tastes like crap...Send it to me and I will make sure it gets disposed of properly..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Terrible stuff....send the backstraps to me, maybe my dog will eat it. As long as it is not cooked past med. rare. LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Antelope meat is very, very good.

You need to keep the hair off of the meat when skinning.

Gut 'em where they lay. Then, if at all possible hang them upside down from something sturdy and start skinning up high. Get it started and get the tail cut off then grab a handful of hide off of each leg and pull hard and turn them inside out.

Do it right and they'll skin just like a rabbit without getting any hair on the meat.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-12 AT 06:20PM (MST)[p]I have 4 doe tags.
Skin it where it lies. Pull off the quarters, back straps, tenders, and neck if you want it. No need to touch the guts. Toss it all in a game bag or two, pack back to the truck. Toss in a cooler with ice. Add ice that night and again the next day. drain the water when you add the ice. Ice will quit melting after a cpl days. Add more ice and leave in the cooler for a week. At home, separate each muscle, removing fat pockets and membranes. Cut into steaks or burger.
It'll taste great.

It's as least as good as any game meat I've had and I've never had any game meat that I didn't like. Get it cool right off, don't age it. Otherwise like deer or elk. You'll find a little hair gets on the meat during the process. Just get it off as you notice it.

I quarter, skin, and pack on ice within minutes of the kill.
I would take (well taken care of) antelope any day of the week over deer or trash fish of the big game world, a.k.a. elk.:)
I killed two at 8:05 this morning, by 8:45 they were well iced down in coolers and I just finished the processing and packed them in the freezer about 30 minutes ago.

A quick little trick i use if there is any hair on the hanging meat, after it sets up run a propane torch over it quickly. All the hair burns right down then just rub it off.

If you get them early in the morning fresh out of bed before they move much they can be good. if you spook a herd, leave them alone until the next day. I've found that an antelope turns nasty after running just 100 yards due to all the adrenaline getting into the blood.

EXCELLENT TABLE FARE.......ONE OF OUR FAVORITES. ON THE OTHER HAND I TRY TO GIVE ALL MY DEER MEAT AWAY BEFORE I SHOOT IT...................MANY MULE HAVE WALKED BECAUSE ITS NOT THE BEST TASTING OF THE WILD GAME................YD.

I disagree^^^. Run around or not, properly taken care of antelope can be far superior to other game.
I've killed one truly nasty antelope (years ago), cooked most of it in lasagna and such and it still won't get eaten. Don't quite know what the deal with that one was?
Too each his own.

I AGREE, SPOOKING THE HERD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MEAT QUALITY THE SAME DAY OR ANY OTHER DAY. I HAVE RAN EM, SHOT EM, AND ATE EM THE SAME DAY.........ITS GOOD...............YD.

Outdoors with Adam Eakle had a Antelope hunt on last night. They showed how to take care of the meat . I bet you can watch the show on the web site.It almost made me want to give antelope meat another try. Well..... ?

Antelope is better than trash fish elk? Funny, but you're going loco. It's alright IMO if it's taken care of. Nothing like trash fish or muleys. Damn prairie maggots...

Antelope is by far the best game meat there is, (IF TAKEN CARE OF CORRECTLY). skin and bone it out fast and get it in a cooler with ice.

I ate seared antelope tenderloins rubbed with olive oil and steak seasoning for dinner last night - awesome.

It is so tender and doesn't have much fat, aging is not as neccessary.

And I agree that elk and antelope are both great eating, deer are falling farther down the list for me...

I do all the same as written above AND I hang it in a walk-in apple cooler for a week or so. The meat gets a dry, dark crust on it and I cut it off when I cut & wrap the meat. This gets rid of any remaining dirt, hair, etc.
It's by far my wife favorite. When I really want to impress her, I make dinner and have quick-seared antelope backstraps! DELICIOUS.
Zeke

>Antelope is better than trash fish
>elk? Funny, but you're
>going loco. It's alright
>IMO if it's taken care
>of. Nothing like trash
>fish or muleys. Damn
>prairie maggots...

The trash fish thing is a joke I've been running with around work. But seriously if I knew for a fact how someone took care of their antelope meat I would have no problem whatsoever trading them pound for pound in elk or deer meat.
There's a reason elk are called stinky.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-12 AT 12:58PM (MST)[p]>
> I AGREE, SPOOKING THE
>HERD HAS NOTHING TO DO
>WITH THE MEAT QUALITY THE
>SAME DAY OR ANY OTHER
>DAY. I HAVE
>RAN EM, SHOT EM, AND
>ATE EM THE SAME DAY.........ITS
>GOOD...............YD.

I've killed a number of Antelope over the years as well and the only ones that tasted good without the gaminess were ones killed early in the morning in their beds. I killed others that were spooked by me or other hunters and they all came out really gamey. So i put 2 and 2 together and come up with that being the only difference.

Eating some pronghorn jerky as we speak, good stuff, hopefully the steaks are as good. Shot it in the morning eating breakfast had it gutted out and on ice as quick as possible.

It doesn't matter if you can't get it on ice immediately. Just get the animal cool. I've killed them and hung them whole with the hide on for a few days with great results. The key is getting the critter cool, no matter how you do it. mtmuley

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-12
>AT 06:20?PM (MST)

>
>I have 4 doe tags.
>Skin it where it lies. Pull
>off the quarters, back straps,
>tenders, and neck if you
>want it. No need to
>touch the guts. Toss it
>all in a game bag
>or two, pack back to
>the truck. Toss in a
>cooler with ice. Add ice
>that night and again the
>next day. drain the water
>when you add the ice.
>Ice will quit melting after
>a cpl days. Add more
>ice and leave in the
>cooler for a week. At
>home, separate each muscle, removing
>fat pockets and membranes. Cut
>into steaks or burger.
>It'll taste great.

Exactly the way we do it. We never gut em. use the hide as a tarp by doing one side at a time. Get em cool quick and move on to the next one!!!

Last night I had Lope steaks with rice and salad. This was steaks from my last lope 2 years ago and still tender and great tasting too. Leave in 8 days for WY for more of the same meat.

Trick like everyone has said is to "get the meat cooled down, and NO DIRT OR ANTELOPE HAIR ON THE MEAT ALONG WITH BLOOD". CLEAN IT GOOD AFTER THE HUNT.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

A few years back, I was driving near my house and passed some antelope hunters. Some younger hunters had a buck in the back of their truck, hide still on, and the legs were sticking up in the air.

I am sure they didn't like antelope meat lol...

Cooling the meat quick (on any animal), and getting the hide off is what works for me...

Loper is some of the better game for table fare in my experience. Just had the first chops off the critter I killed last week and they were excellent. I treat then no different than anything else.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Being from Wyoming, Antelope was always on the plate at some point in the year. My Grandma frys it after she soaks it a couple of hours in buttermilk. The buttermilk will cut the game taste and then she would bisquick it and fry it with onions and butter.

Anyway the cultures in buttermilk is what helps breakdown the tissue and remove the game taste.

BearCat

The last Antelope I tried to eat I had to lick my Dogs butt to get the taste out of my mouth....

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

My favorite game meat, Just get it off the animal fast and cooled down,very good meat.Care of the meat is critical with pronghorn.

Antelope meat is GREAT if the animal is field dressed properly. Make sure you get any hair off of the meat right away. I've eaten some awesome antelope as well as some nasty antelope. The secret as I said before is to get all the hair off of the animal right away and get it cooled down. Best meat ever.

Antelope is the BEST meat IF taken care of properly. Do the gutless method as stated above. Skin it on the spot. Get the meat on ice or cooled off in the shade. When cutting up Antelope, De-Bone it all.
Fry small steaks up in butter, make a greek seasoning/mayo dressing on toasted bread and eat like a pulled pork sandwich! Yummy!
I wish I had drawn some doe tags. I'm missing the steaks right about now.

>The last Antelope I tried to
>eat I had to lick
>my Dogs butt to get
>the taste out of my
>mouth....
>
>OMB
>
>
>There's room for all of God's
>creatures, right next to the
>mashed potato's and gravy.

Sounds like your a fking moron, or you just like licking dog asses! Antelope is one of the finest game meats available. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO TASTE LIKE WATER-BEEF FOR ME!

>Is antelope meat any good? I
>have two doe tags and
>I was wondering if it's
>any good.

You have 2 doe tags and now you ask if it is edible? Your a fking Douchebag at best!

Had some pronghorn steaks a week ago. It was very good very tender. All I did was let it sit in olive oil and steak seasoning for an hour then baked it in the oven at 350 for 50 minutes. I like it better than elk.

I have learned one very important lesson with any wild game meat.Antelope is no different. It's the silverside,cartlidge, & fat that makes wild meat taste bad. Remove this and it does wonders for the taste. One reason I will not use a butcher is because they will not take the time to remove these items.

Antelope is wonderful game meat. Proper field care is very important as stated above, but this is really the case for all game meat.
On occasion I have had an antelope that even the dog wouldn't eat. This is rare, but maybe 10% of antelope for one reason or another are not good table fair. This is even after proper care and cooling of the meat.
I have experienced something similar with Caribou, on occasion. Most are decent eating (though not as good as antelope) but sometimes there is nothing you can do to make the meat edible.
I have often theorized for antelope that the bad ones had been running hard, etc., but have no evidence to back that up. For all I know they ate some bad feed the day before, or have a "cold", or some other anomaly that is not observed. I am just back from a weekend shooting does with my wife, and will begin taste testing each animal tonight.I'm confident we have some quality meat on ice at present.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom