antelope meat

J

joshtepen

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some of your antelope recipes and or what you have done with your lope processing wise. I am heading to Wyoming on my first hunt next week. I am think of trying bratwurst, but if anyone has any ideas or favorites and would like to share please go ahead. Thanks

Make sure to get your Lope skinned and cooled off as soon as posible. Besides the jerky and salami, I cut all of the good parts into boneless steaks. Put them in a good marinade and BBQ. They are excellent.

Care for it well, get it cool fast, keep the hair off the meat, shoot a calm one, don't touch the cheeks or the horns then the meat, and you should have some great eats. Here is the recipe I'll be putting to work tonight...

Fry up 4 or 5 strip of bacon. Remove from pan and crumble. In drippings, cook up a mix of chopped onions, green peppers, mushrooms and a couple cloves of minced garlic tossed in at the last couple minutes. Then remove and set aside.

Cut up about 1.5-2 lbs of antelope (or deer) into 1/2" strips or bite sized chunks. Season, coat in flour, and fry in the bacon drippings. Add a bit of oil if you need to.

In sauce pan, bring one can of Cream of Muchroom soup (add a 1/2 can of water if needed) to a slow boil. Chop up one small to med. sized potato into 1/2" pieces and add to the soup. Add the fried chunks of meat and simmer on low for about 1hr.

Then take a pie crust and fill it with the meat/mushroom soup mixture. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the top, followed by the onions, peppers, mushrooms veggie mix. If desired, grate some cheese on top of the mixture. Lastly finish off the pie by topping it with a sheet of flaky dough, brushed with melted butter.

Be sure to cut a hole (about 1") in the center of the dough to allow steam to escape. Bake in oven for 30 minutes on 350. Depending on the type of dough you use, you may need to crank it to 450 for a few minutes to brown the top.

If you want to get creative, you can make a mountiain scene on top of the pie with extra dough (I've made mountains, streams, and pine trees) and light cuts into the top dough.

This is a big time crowd pleaser.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-06 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]I always quarter out and hang in well ventelated shaded area to let cool and dry. I clean all hair off and cover meat with game bags or a cheese cloth to keep stuff off and prevent too much meat to meat contact.

When I travel I use dry ice and tarps in a cooler to keep meat dry, cool, and seperated. ( you can buy dry ice at WalMart or most grocery stores anymore)

Did it last week with three.

4512f6841cf838f6.jpg

Grandpanasty has been robbed of the divine experience of eating good antelope. I mourn for you brother... Between my kids and my self, we've killed and eaten 15 antelope. I've never had gamey or foul tasting meat.

"Exactly, don't run it. Get it on ice asap. Best meat in the west."

That is about as true as it gets. We shot four last week and with the exception of one fawn, late in the evening, all were back to camp with in an hour, skinned, boned, and in coolers on ice. That fawn was skinned and in the cooler early the next morning (it was frosting heavily at night). Mild, tender, and as good as any meat out there! I kid you not! Use any good deer or elk recipe. Hard to beat steaks slow cooked with salt, pepper, a little fresh garlic, maybe some onions and mushroom as well. Remember, slow cook, and then when they are about done, turn up the heat and sear to finish. I know this is backwards to many recipes that recommend searing first. If you slow cook, it won't dry out and the searing at the end just accentuates the flavor. Cook with a cover on the pan until about done and it in effect is steaming and frying at once. Take the lid off for the finish searing.

Thanks for the help. I have heard good and bad about antelope meat. But I cant wait to try it. Gotta get one down first though.

Yes it true Lope meat is good to eat IF you get it cold in a hurry, we carried bags of ice in coolers just for that reason.
Goats that are ran hard then shoot will taste pretty gamey ice does help some but not enough IMO so kill them well they are calm.

I skin mine IMMEDIATELY after the kill and then quarter or bone it and put it right on ice.

I've only had one that needed to be jerked, and I think it's cuz he had been rutting non-stop for 2 weeks prior to the hunt.

Just fried up some loin in olive oil, garlic and shallots for lunch.

YUM!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom