Antelope Judging

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
I drew an antelope hunt with about as good of a chance at a really big one as I'll probabally ever get (NV 012-014). Problem is that I have not paid enough attention to antelope to know what I should be looking for. I know a good mature one, but what does a real bomber look like? Any good books or videos on this out there?

Mass, Mass, Mass... thats what it is all about. Use the ears to judge length. The ears of the antelope are smaller up here in Utah, Nevada, and Montana averaging about 6 inches than they are in Arizona and New Mexico where they are about 8 inches. Make sure they have a good hook to them and good prong length.
As far as videos, most all of them have segments on measuring, Eastmans have 3 out there and they show it in every one.

Look for a goat with 2 1/2 ears lengths and 6 inch prongs thats has alot of mass and you should be looking at a good one.

Nate
Nochawk

You'll know it's a big one when you look through your binos and start peeing down both legs.

The first reply is correct Mass is your most scoreably item on Antelope
Now length is great for wall apeal but don't turn down the smaller length one with lots of mass for a tall skinny one
Good luck
scout early and look at all your options

mass ... one thing i look for is a good prong that starts above the ears. try not to get wrapped up in spread like deer judging just something i look for.

Just like any other horned critter if you are looking for high B&C score there are 8 mass measurements. Mass is definitely important but it takes just about everything to make B&C. The top 2 mass measurements are just as important as the bottom 2 and I don't know how many bucks I've shot that just missed book because they didn't have an inch here or there!

Different states and regions within states "generally" tend to produce different genetics and horn confirmations. If you go to a local taxidermist where you'll be hunting take a tape measure along to get a feel for what antelope from that area produce. It also helps to scout well in advance of the season so you have an idea what an average buck looks like. After viewing 50 to 100 bucks when you see a monster he'll really stand out! It is somewhat easier to get a close-up look at bucks prior to the season when they start getting spooked. I often look at bucks at point-blank range through my spotting scope when I archery hunt them from waterholes....this really gives you a good idea of measurements.

I hunt Wyo quite a bit and the minimums I look for are 7" bases and 2nd qtrs, 4+" 3rds, and 2 3/4" 4th qtrs. Prong minimums of 6" and length of 15 1/2". If you add all those up it is pretty close to B&C minimums. I try to find bucks that are super massive, 15+" horns, and 6+" prongs. If they meet that criterea they are worth a closer look.
I wouldn't even attempt judging antelope without a high quality spotting scope. Horns come in different shapes. Some have oval shaped bases while some are nearly round. It is also important to get several views of a particular buck from different angles, front and back. Like most game the worse view is from the rear!

I have never liked the idea of using ears, nose, or eyes to estimate mass or horn length on any game species. This has screwed me up more times than not. Just like on humans ears, eyes, and even heads/bodies come in different lengths and sizes. If you look at a buck from different angles or if he tilts his ears a certain way you will come up with different measurements.

Prongs that are high on the horn rather than low often make a bucks horns look a lot longer than they actually are. Often bucks with prongs that branch off high on the horn have very short tops. Some prongs are a lot more webbed than others and if you find a incredibly massive buck the mass or bladed bases often adds on to the prong length.

I have always liked to compare measurements to a dollar bill. A $1.00 is 6" in length. Prongs of 6"+ are pretty much required for good score. Also if you can wrap a dollar bill around the base you aren't looking at a whole lot of mass.

Just about the time I think I have everything figured out I shoot a buck that totally fools me...dreaded ground shrinkage! I've been hunting them for about 35 years and it still happens!

PM me if you are interested in a guided hunt by on of the top guides in that area. He knows it well - no bs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom