Antelope Island Sheep hunt?

nochawk

From todays Standard Examiner

http://www.standard.net/live/news/181034

Proposed plan for Antelope Island could involve hunts
By BRYON SAXTON
Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau
[email protected]
LAYTON -- An update to the Antelope Island Wildlife Management Plan, addressing the possibility of allowing limited annual hunts of bighorn sheep on the island, was presented Thursday at the Utah State Parks Board meeting in Salt Lake City.
Antelope Island State Park manager Ron Taylor introduced the three-member team putting together scientific recommendations for the board to help them consider when, or whether, to allow a bighorn sheep hunt on the island.
The professional team consists of three wildlife biologists: Steve Bates, with Antelope Island; Scott McFarlane, with the Division of Wildlife Resources; and Jericho Whiting.
The group will make scientific recommendations to the directors of state parks and DWR, who will then forward the information onto the state parks board.
"We've got a process in place here," Taylor said. "It is in its infancy, but it is moving fast."
On June 25, the board requested a team of biologists be formed to make recommendations about when future hunts may be needed to keep the island's herds healthy.

The board modified the language of the island's wildlife management plan by adding: "Limited hunting may be used as a management tool for the health of wildlife populations and their habitats when other management control options have not been effective."
Bates said he anticipates the team's recommendations for the bighorn sheep herd will be available to the board near the end of the year.
Taylor said the intent is to get a more accurate count of the wildlife on the island this fall by air and by land. The team, in addition to looking at the bighorn sheep herd, will also address over the years the island's bison, deer and antelope herds.
"We've got a process to manage the herds, not just the bighorn sheep," Taylor said.
But at this time, Taylor said, he does not see any indication that the island herds are overpopulated or unhealthy.
Antelope Island's wildlife management plan this summer became the eye of a storm when amendments were made, opening the door to limited annual bighorn sheep hunts on the island to keep herds healthy and disease-free.
Friends of Antelope Island opposed the move, citing concerns about the impact it would have on the animals -- chasing them away from the public -- and the direct effect that would have on tourism.
The overpopulation of a herd can make the animals more susceptible to disease, DWR director Jim Karpowitz told state park board members in an April meeting.
Thirty-nine bighorn sheep were introduced to the island in 1998.
The herd grew and 160 bighorn were transplanted to other parks, officials say. There are now about 160 bighorn sheep on the island.
Karpowitz said the animals have done so well, DWR needs to deal with the surplus of rams in other ways, outside of transplanting them. Transplanting can be costly and cannot be relied on as a long-term solution, he said.
The island wildlife management plan has been in place since 2001, Bates said.

Copyright ? 2009 Ogden Publishing Corporation
www.standard.net

Thanks for posting that information. It will be interesting to see if the DWR can get a hunt pushed through, given the resistance that will inevietably come from the Parks Department, regardless of the obvious need for a hunt to maintain a helthy herd. Given the carrying capacity of the Island, and the fact that the herd is used as a nursery herd for California Bighorn transplants, the ram/ewe ratios have become skewed. I have volunteered at transplants on the Island, and was there for the most recent one which targeted mostly rams. Handling the mature rams was awesome, to say the least but a hunt would be a lot more cost effective. Let's just hope a sheep hunt gets approved, then maybe the next step could be a few muley tags! :D

Since it is Utah, they'll probably just auction off the tags before they put the tags in the public draw.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

MNHunter,

Those were my thoughts, also. You can be that the Full Curl group will have their pick on these tags.

On a positive note, this is a good example of when states share their wildlife for transplants.

The fact that they are talking seems like progress to me. That herd thrives in that environment, but it will surely fall if numbers are not controlled in some way. The hunt would be great for those of us that hunt and it could still be a nursery herd for new transplants (if we could find suitable habitat to move them to) It could also provide a significant amount of income for the island if some tags are sold. I think it could be a win/win for everyone involved if cool heads can prevail.
Thanks for sharing.

I am not sure why/how killing a few Rams will help with the population control that is being spinned?

Would it not be better population control to harvest some Ewes and let the Rams die of old age....what the hell....?

Ewe Auction tags...hhmmmmmm

The huge number of moose that have been trapped and 'traded' to other states brings to mind a similiar opportunity for the sheep on AI.

Could they not 'trade' the sheep for a species of equal value?-----no not more turkeys! ha

Robb

No doubt killing a few rams will not make much difference to the herd dynamics, but it will fulfill some serious dreams of those that can hunt. One would also think that the DWR has explored exchanging Cali Rams for something. I think part of the problem is that finding Cali habitat that does not have domestic sheep on it is difficult and trans-locations are expensive. I would love to see a trade for some Arizona or Nevada desert sheep for some Island sheep but in tough economic/budget cutting times, who foots the bill?
I like your idea Robb, and hopefully those guys will find ways to do something productive with that herd beyond letting them overpopulate and die of old age or disease.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom